Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Renzsu

Sketch-over Sessions: Sketch Dump

Hi everybody, in this topic we will be asking you to upload sketches for a new project like the sketch sessions. This time the idea will be that you upload sketches that you think could need improvement.

We will pick some of those sketches that we think have potential for a nice session and then post them in a new topic where you can then show your improved version.

So basically, this topic will be the sketchdump thread for the 'bad' sketches. For those who will reply here, we ask you to only upload sketches that you have put some serious effort in.. so if you have a sketch that you kept reworking and then gave up, post it here.. if you have something that you are very proud of, but still feel that it's wrong in some areas, post it here.

Good luck and happy posting! We will open a new Sketch-over Session topic soon!

Guest iliffe

Hi all,

im currently designing a tent de-humidifier for my product design session at college,

ive chosen my shape, decided on how im going to make it function, just that now ive come to drawing and rendering the model, its found to be harder then ive expected...

any tips on producing the final sketches?

thanks

http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=scanbd1.jpg

woudnt allow me to upload the image?

:S 159kb?!

iliffe, that's a good example of a sketch that we can use for the sketch-over sessions, thank you for posting.

To the rest of our members, go ahead and post, once we have a couple of good examples here we will start a session.

Guest Krause

Since no one else seem to be responding, I thought I would give it a try. Here's my quick sketch over done w/ a tablet and p.shop. Maybe someone can now sketch over mine!

post-4385-1169779319.jpg

That's nice, except we plan on keeping the actual sketchovers in a seperate thread once we get a couple of submissions for sketches that can be sketched over.. so this thread is for the submissions :(

No problem though..

Guest Krause

Ahhhhh, I see. Sorry about that. Maybe you can move it to the sketch over thread when you get it started.

Guest williamoforange

Ok, I'm new to this.

So the idea is to toss up a sketch and others will comment on what you can improve upon?

If thats the case, then here goes...

(From some interview feedback I've received, I need to improve on sketching, any suggestions for ways of improving, always helpful)

-Electric tractor concept sketch

-Direct scan, no levels adjustments or anything

(I think that this is more towards the top end of my sketching right now)

post-4316-1170824369.jpg

I think thats a pretty good start. My suggestion would be to get a set of color pencils and a marker that matches the colors (Prismacolors have indigo blue which you can get a verithin, soft colored pencil, and marker all in the same color) and use the marker to start adding some dark shadows to really bring up the contrast. It's good that you are putting a figure in your drawing too, helps the scale a lot which most people leave out or take for granted.

Guest williamoforange

Thanks for the suggestion on the tools.

-What is/are "verithin" s by the way?

What I use mostly right now for sketching is a Staedler mechanical pencil 0.5mm, in both red and blue leads, the colour is nice, and the mechanical pencil is good to handle details, always sharp, and doesn't erase (thus kinda like sketching with a pen), oh, and on copy paper, these leads flow really smoothly.

I also have a bunch of Letraset Tria's, (I think these may be overrated, as I never used the finepoint), as per what was recommended/we learned on in 2nd year of school, so I have the set of 12 warm greys, as well as a set of primary's and a few additional choice colours (2 light blues, 2 browns, 2 kinda fleshtones).

Cheers

Guest fishodeath

Here are some snowboard/ski backpack sketches I did recently. These are thinking thumbnails... But I know I can work on my linewieght. hopefully some people here can find some other improvements I can make.

backpacksketcle6.th.jpg