Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ourclassics

Product Design Vs Industrial Design

Guest philjenkins

The term industrial design is a throw back to the industrial revolution where there became a requirement for people to design products which could be made using the new industrial manufacturing methods rather than the hand-made craft methods which existed previously. Nowadays, the term tends to refer to the branch of design focussed on product styling and ergonomics/human factors. There is often a degree of confusion surrounding the title as, to the layman, the word industrial suggests a high level of engineering based work.

To come back to the original question, what's the difference between industrial design and product design? In my opinion, probably not a lot beyond semantics. A lot of courses have called themselves product design to avoid the confusion/ambiguity that the industrial design title carries. The only way to decide which course to opt for is to decide what you want to get out of the course and then do your research, visit the courses, talk to current students etc. Make a decision based on the course content no the course title.

Guest khusrouf

Hi all,

Throughout my education, I always thought that Product Design and Industrial Design are two faces of one coin, lately I've been discovering otherwise, seems that Product Design is the bigger term that contains ID, that Products don't neccesarly need to be manufactured, it can be a service or intangable form of products, that made me confused, are the bounderies that blurred that I couldn't tell which is which???

Please if you could help me clear the image about ID and PD, also if there are any links for the rellated topics please share them with me :P

Thanx a million

Khusrouf

Guest mike

Hi all:

My major is Industrial Design ( Tatung Uni in Taiwan)

But I designed Product (Sunglasses and Computer Accessories ) and POP stuff.

So, in my opinion, there is not a big deal to separate ID and PD clearly.

Guest pulz
Industrial Design = Aesthetics, make it look pretty (felt tip fairies some say)

Product Design = How does the peoduct work?, will it work? what goes on inside the product? FEA, Mold Flow etc etc, more engineering involved.

i think both are the same its just a basic perception of people to call it industrial design as it developed during the industrial revolution ,and when it it surfaced again they called it product design

Just my 2 cents :

In France there is no true difference between Product Design and Industrial Design courses.

They are basicly the Experience Design of manufactured products.

Professionals use rather Industrial Design if they want to insist on them industrial skills or Product Design if they want to insist on them experience design skills. Also, using Product Design is a bit more trendy and using Indusrial Design a bit more traditional. But this does not make an huge difference.

Well, in france also we make a clear separation between Engineering (Technology) and Design (Usages and Feelings). Wich is not the case evrywhere.

Product design is combining art, science and technology to create tangible three-dimensional goods. Where as an industrial design is creating and executing design solutions towards problems of form, usability, marketing, brand development and sales.

I think product design covers the aspect of the development of the form, size and other aspects of the product. It covers the idea generation, concept development and product development only.

Whereas the Industrial design covers the aspect of the design in the production process as well as the product aspect also. Involves idea generation to production and branding.

This is my opinion

As far as I know, Industrial design is basically the mother of product design itself. It is like industrial design is being a doctor and product design is being a pediatrician, so to say it is a specialization. Other branches of industrial design are; furniture design, toy design, footwear design, pop design, environmental design, jewelry design.