Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ourclassics

Product Design Vs Industrial Design

Guest ourclassics

What is the major difference between product design and industrial design. These two termsare a lot confusing me..

Stanford offers product design and IIT offers ID

So how can one spot difference in these two courses..

Please gimme some insight inthis aspect

I'm not quite sure about this either, my faculty calls itself industrial design engineering, so I'm kind of inclined to think industrial design focusses on mass produced products, with quite a bit of engineering subjects in its program, while product design can also be for smaller series or more conceptual articles... Maybe I'm rambling here though, I doubt it matters much in the real world.

edit: please do correct me if I was wrong here.. you see, where I live we only have the distinction between industrial design and industrial form giving ('englified' from dutch ^_^ ), where the industrial design is at a university (which gives you the MSc. degree) and the industrial form giving is at an academy (which gives you the Ba.).. or perhaps it's now different at the academies and you also get a masters degree (Ma. I presume).. things are changing here, so I might be wrong see.

Guest Pandoraoh

Funny indeed.

Your uni, Renzsu, is as far as I know the only place here who calls it Industrial Design (IO).

The academic versions of this study are all called Industrial Product Design (IPO). So they make no difference between ID and PD, and, as far as I'm concerned, there aint a very large difference besides that your study maybe leans a tiny bit more towards the design part. But, then again, seeing some of those technical readers you go through makes me think otherwise. Hmmm, geuss there's no difference then after all ;). At least not here.

Guest ourclassics

As far as I know only Stanford offers Product design.. others only Industrial design

Can we make a list of top graduate schools offering product design

Guest SaR

Aston University (Birmingham, England) offers Industrial Product Design, Engineering Product Design, Product Design and Management, Sustainable Product Design and Medical Product Design.

Guest ourclassics

Wanna know where it is best to study product design...

Stanford is offering Product design.. is MIT offering anything like this??

and I'm aware only of US Schools... please list some top schools around the world in this area...

Guest aajhiggs

As far as I am aware Industrial design has a greater focus on aesthetics (but not neglecting an understanding of the mechanical functions) while product design is more engineering based and concentrates on mechanically sound design. There is very little form development at all. That is the split at Loughborough University anyway, but I have found that there is a substantial area of overlap and it differs from course to course.

Guest abhinav

Its all about covering the domains of design. Product design, being more specific, deals with hardcore product development mainly covering the domains of consumer goods, automobile, etc.

On the other hand, Industrial design, being at somewhat 'macro' level, covers the domains of product design, furniture, toy, lifestyle accessories, textiles, etc. As the name suggests, ID is concerned with all the design domains which are concerned with industry and manufacturing and includes product design as well.

Guest Mark's

well i'm at UNi of Canberra and it offers Industrial Design, and we cover a whole range of stuff but it mostly deals with product and furniture design (well that is what most of the assiments are geared up for)

Guest celticsun

Industrial Design :angry: Product Design

From what I have learned is this Industrial Design is Product design but Product design cant ever be Industrial design ....well not 100%

In Industrial Design Everything which falls into Design ends up being a massive collage of design. In otherwords Industrial Design has a play in everything such as; Transportation Design, Furniture Deign, Landscape Design, Architectual Design, Webpage Design, Shoe Design, Signage Design, Graphic Arts etc....

Product design is more hardcore in this instead of focusing on many aspects of many different things you look at that problem face it, overcome it, face the issues and keep doing it until the answer is sitting there. I did thi in My school and it drove my teachers NUTS! :blink::angry::D:blink::D Oh it is more fun to prove a point to a teacher and have them eat their own words! I think it happened about 10 seperate times! I do believe they were trying to Push me out of the course as fast as possible! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Look at it this way: if you want the best of knowing a bit of this and that and still know a lot go with industrial design....

But if you want to Strive on Products, work on issues until you bust out laughing go with product design.... I love the stuff!

and if all else fails you can always switch the courses and go to the other school too.

celticsun :angry:

ummm P.S. did I help or confuse you all?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! LOL

Guest zarboki

As far as I am aware, Product Design is a branch of Industrial Design. However Industrial Design is more wide-ranging in scope. For example it includes the design of "systems" such as car-sharing and the associated products. I am at the University of Technology, Sydney which offers Bachelors of Design in Industrial Design, Visual Communications, Interior Design and Fashion Design.

Guest Wally
As far as I am aware Industrial design has a greater focus on aesthetics (but not neglecting an understanding of the mechanical functions) while product design is more engineering based and concentrates on mechanically sound design. There is very little form development at all. That is the split at Loughborough University anyway, but I have found that there is a substantial area of overlap and it differs from course to course.

you're more likely to be right, but it sounds to me like it should be the other way round?

Guest andyw

Industrial Design = Aesthetics, make it look pretty (felt tip fairies some say)

Product Design = How does the peoduct work?, will it work? what goes on inside the product? FEA, Mold Flow etc etc, more engineering involved.

course wise in austraila product design is like a cut done version of industrial design generaly a shorter course with less engineering, but there is much more ready for industry focus whereas industrial deal more with big picture and talk a lot more about design philosophy, but once you finish school evey one just calls themselves an industrial designer. I think though this is quite different in other countries

Guest pardis-b

i think industrial design is better than product design . becuase product design is a kind of industrial design .