Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Roel

Reader For The Blind

Guest Roel

For the most of us it's quite normal to read books on a daily basis. But what if you can't read because you're blind. You need someone to read out the book for you so you can listen.

Wouldn't it be great if there was a device that could do that for you?

In my opinion this should be possible. You only need three things: a text scanner, text recognition software and a soundcard/speaker. When you put this together you'll create a reader for the blind.

This is my first design competition and I would really appreciate any comment/feedback.

I'll show you some sketches and a 3DSMAX render.

reader1en1.th.jpg

readercopyxe0.th.jpg

readbookblindcopywn0.th.jpg

Guest cooperkid

What's the point when you already have audiobooks on the market! I'm led to believe that most books are also published in audio format! To do with disability acts!

Anyway, I look forward to seeing some inspiring ideas if you can come up with something radical not seen before!

Guest Roel

Hi cooperkid,

Thanks for your reply. I don't totaly agree with you. A lot of books, mostly novels are also published in audio format. But if you take a look at the 'local' newspaper, magazines and a lot of study books...

I'll try to make some improvements and develop the idea a little further. Perhaps I can speak to someone with the problem reading books. That would help a lot.

Regards,

Roel

Guest The Boogey Man

Good idea. Though how does the product work? From your images it seems as though you just scan the page and it recognises the text and reads it out. Though in the image your product is the width of the magazine. How does the device know which article should be read?

Is this your final entry? Would be nice to see this idea developed further.

Guest Roel

I joined this challenge rather late so I had little time to think about it and redesign. You are right about how it should work. Perhaps it is possible to recognise different text areas or colums so the user can switch between them. As you can see on the picture I've also made a kind of a slide bar for a smooth slide along the page.

slideyp3.th.jpg

textareaxm0.th.jpg

topviewjo8.th.jpg