Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest lufbrasketch

Another Maxwell Render

Guest lufbrasketch

Yo,

Here is a render of a prohect I did a few years back, just updating old stuff. I was trying to get the white on white render cos I guess I was finding it hard. Unfortunately my maxwell studio keeps crashing so I need to try and fix it somehow, I really don't know what is wrong. Anyway....enjoy

nolightsow3.jpg

Guest w i l l

I don't know what your product is there, but I personally would decrease the roughness of the plastic but keep the floor the same. Also reposition the two parts (give it them each a better position for better composition) so that you can get a good depth of field which will slightly blur the one further away. They look slighty out of focus - try and zoom in on the front one and get a cool angle.

Guest lufbrasketch

Yeah, the plastic is actually white ABS which I tried reproducing a few times but ended up using another user's one which was better.

I'll have a play around with the composition, I think I should make the render a bit more dramatic. I tried the "focus to" command which focused on the main dome of the front product so everything else was blurred. I'll mess around with the DOF a bit , I'm still going through the manual when I have time.

Oh yeah by the way...the product is a soil temperature sensor, its from my first year uni work. I'm just re-rendering it for my portfolio. Eventually Im gonna have to put a coloured emiter in there to represent some LEDs, should be interesting.

Guest w i l l

Coloured emitters would be good... attracting your eye to them because the rest is white.

It looks less dramatic because you haven't got strong areas of light, reflection and shadow. Set up your emitters to give this and tick multilight... then adjust multilight whilst its rendering. If you make the material smoother or more reflective (lower roughness/raise Nd value) this will give you nicer lighting areas on the product. Don't use a coating though in Maxwell as this is not what coatings are designed to be used for... use 2 BSDF layers (one for roughness, one for smooth layer).

If you need it textured like ABS, use a bump map for that texture - instead of just making it rough (which absorbs light)... ABS is still quite smooth, it just has a texture.

Guest lufbrasketch

Yeah, the problem I have been having though is that multilight is crashing my pc so I can't actually get a finished render. It looks really nice when I can change the setting but I have had a troll through the maxwell forum and they say each of the sliders in the multilight panel chug up system memory. I don't know what is going on...I think it might be my CPU acting up to be honest but I have no idea knowing whats actually wrong.

Also, im guessing with the layers I give a much bigger weighting to the smooth layer...what kinda ration do you reckon I should go for or should I just experiement.

Guest w i l l

Just experiment... angle it so the tip or the dome is nearer the camera.

Weight it so that the smooth layer has less weighting - like 70 for rough, 30 for smooth. Multilight uses up memory - if you PC is low spec it might not be able to handle it. Mine freezes when I've got loads of emitters and use Multilight.

Guest lufbrasketch

The wierd thing is that I have 2gig of mem + an amd 3500xp cpu so aparently it should be fine....

Guest w i l l

I dont know... I'm not a technical boffin. Does it happen with other scenes if you use Multilight? If so it might be something to do with the installation of that feature. You could try hiding or deleting those emitters and making some more. What type of emitters are you using?... Are they planes?

Try emailing; juan@nextlimit.com

Guest lufbrasketch

The wierd thing is that I have been able to use multilight before and its rendered fine.

Like the hole punch below took about half the time and I think looks nicer + I used multilight. I also think it might be something to do with the geometry import, I imported as an OBJ from Pro E but then again I did the same with the holepunch. I guess I'll play around with some settings.

version3vk1.jpg

Guest w i l l

Yeah the hole punch is nice. It'll probably be something to do with the emitters. How are you creating emitters? Delete the emitters and try creating one emitter the same way as you did with the hole punch and try a render with Multilight. If that works add another emitter and render again and so on.

Guest lufbrasketch

My multlight still deosn't work but I've tried a different angle + I have played around with the DOF more. The render is still a bit noisy though, I should maybe increase the SL a bit.

tempsensewithmultilightzl3.jpg

Guest Carbon

How does the holepunch file behave now, if you try rendering it?

This way you can test if your problems are file/model related or system/program related.

Guest w i l l

Just set your sampling level to 25 and your time to 1000000 minutes then you can stop the render when you like as it is unlikely to reach that. Delete all your emitters and add one emiter which is a plane not their stock lights then re-render it with multilight, or upload the file and send me a link and I will look at it.

Guest lufbrasketch

Bad news. I just tried re-rendering the hole punch scene and my pc crashed again. I got a "cpu overtemperature error" when I start the pc back up again....I needs to try and sort this out.

Are you rendering on a laptop? If so try blowing some compressed air into your fans to make sure they aren't clogged with dust. If your machine is over heating from running at full load for that many hours you'll need to find some clever way to keep it cool. They make commercial laptop coolers (angled base with some fans in it) but you can also probably ghetto-rig it by just sticking your laptop on a big box fan or something similar. (If it's cold where you are leave your computer next to an open window)