* * * * - 2 votes

Eclipse Phone

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_BloodRabbit_*

Guest_BloodRabbit_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 December 2006 - 11:33 PM

This phone has all the basic features for a 1996 phone(phonebook, sms and calls), but still no camera or other close to useless features.
In other words it follows the design and ideas of my last phone(tiny phone.
The phone is about 5.5 cm tall closed and 9 cm open
It uses a seetrough lcd similar to a older phone would have used, this helps the battery.
The buttons on the sides pops the screen up.

The Images shows the phone closed and open

Posted Image

Posted Image

Rune Larsen

#2 Guest_lufbrasketch_*

Guest_lufbrasketch_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2006 - 01:31 AM

I'm interested as to why you chose to remove features like a camera? Now adays people are starting to buy phones which are just as good as a camera to save buying another digital camera, I wouldn't really call it useless.

But......saying that I like how you have simplified the design, sometimes its nice to keep things simple and straight foward and not clutter it with 100 features.

Maybe try to think about ergonomics a bit more with the concepts, I know this product is small but obviously the bigger the width the harder it is to grip, and keeping a phone balanced is also important, not just visually but physically.

Does your phone have any connectivity features? I know it is nice for a concept but sometimes even a concept needs some thought about internals, even if it is just looking at the ports on a phone....I guess it will always help to develop a concept into a realised product if ever taken foward.

I dont mean to sound negative, cool work though :)

#3 Guest_anand raj_*

Guest_anand raj_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2006 - 11:14 AM

i dont know why but your phone designs always seem to impress me! may be it's the creativity that's so good! i want this one too ;)
keep up the good work mate..

#4 Guest_BloodRabbit_*

Guest_BloodRabbit_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 December 2006 - 04:54 PM

lufbrasketch:
I still think camera and colour screens are "useless", it may be nice on some designs. I have a feeling that phone manufactures seem to use technologi as a sellingpoint just for the technologies sake(hope this makes sense), and I think very few people use half of the features on their phones.
Physical balance(so it stayes in you hand) should be achieved by the battery under the keypad and that the pieces that look like metal is metal(the extra weight should give a feel of quality aswell).
connectivity features... I know you like that they are on modells, but they are largly desided by software and brand(usb, headset, etc.) so I will not put them on there(they would be on the bottom).
And Im glad you like it.

anand raj: (cool name btw)
Thank you, I hope its my creativity.
I'll see what I can do to get my designes produced so you can get one ;)

#5 bowlofnoodle

bowlofnoodle

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 24 December 2006 - 12:37 AM

I actually really want one. Nice Job!

I have a camera on my phone and I hardly ever use it, it just pretty much take up space and bulky. I can sure go for a phone that can be chain up to my key ring.

#6 Guest_infodata_*

Guest_infodata_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 December 2006 - 05:18 PM

Very nice!

I like it a lot and I think that your idea about clear design and without useless features is very good one. If someone produces this one or any similar mobile phone without camera and other extras I will buy it for sure. I'm using different gadgets and other hi-tech devices but sometimes I just wish to have something simple and straight to the point. And your design is just like that...

Good work mate.

#7 Guest_BloodRabbit_*

Guest_BloodRabbit_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 04:54 AM

Another one of my creations has been posted on Gizmodo(this phone). :)

Link:
Gizmodo: Eclipse Design Phone: Is Simple Better?

Rune Larsen

#8 bowlofnoodle

bowlofnoodle

Top Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 10:46 AM

Wow nearly five thousand votes and people prefer a simple straight forward phone. What have all the companies been doing?

Maybe it's the design that capture the consumer, I like how you use clear plastic and illuminating numbers that makes it look sexy.

#9 Krabbenkoenig

Krabbenkoenig

Level 4

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 01:53 PM

Actually, for my taste your other phone has more style.
Maybe it's because of the unusual form factor or because it reminds me of an old razor knife or because it's - in my eyes - more reduced than this one.

It's a nice phone, no doubt but I've got one question:
Where is the accumulator situated?
Since the phone is spereated by the display (approximately in the middle) there would't be much space left for the battery, right?
I'm also using a very thin and very small phone (VK Mobile 2020, 8,8mm thick) and if you open it up, most of the space is used by the accu (the backlight for the keys is via electroluminiscent foil - keys incl. lighting have an aprox. thickness of 1mm (or even less)).
Also another thing that came to my mind is:
Where is the antenna - it's internal, that's obvious - but in such a small phone you'd cover the whole antenna with your hand (when you're using the phone), which would lead to a very bad reception - a way to work around this would be to increase the transmitting power which would lead to a highe battery consumption and to a higher rediation level.

#10 Guest_superbad_*

Guest_superbad_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 December 2006 - 07:45 PM

I much prefer this to your previous one. You still have some packaging issues I think, but you could get something pretty close to this into production. I really like the way it references cigarette cases and hip flasks. Phone design has gotten really stale lately, so it's nice to see some new ideas.

The camera is kind of a dilemma. I use mine pretty often for taking quick pictures of things, but I would use it a lot more if the quality didn't suck. However, I don't want to carry a giant phone just to get a decent camera. All the other "features"- MP3, games, crappy internet access, I can gladly do without.

#11 Turbofrog

Turbofrog

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 08:13 PM

I definitely prefer this to your last one. Ergonomically, functionally, and even aesthetically, I think it's a better resolved concept.

#12 Guest_Patrick Riccardo_*

Guest_Patrick Riccardo_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2006 - 02:14 PM

This phone is absolutely beautiful! I would seriously buy it if you would consider selling it! -Unless the price tag is too high :)

So, when will I be able to get it, and what would it cost me?
Also, it would be nice if you had any idea of what it will contain. I know you want to keep it as simple as possible, and thats great, but does it have sms feature?
How long (roughly) will the battery last?
Which networks does it work with? -I live in Norway btw.
Any memory at all?

Anyway, it's the most amazing design i've seen, and I'm a serious buyer!

Patrick.

#13 Guest_Merluzo_*

Guest_Merluzo_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

looks amazing!!! perfect idea with the transparent citroen display :)

#14 Guest_Peter@Beoworld_*

Guest_Peter@Beoworld_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:01 PM

That is quite frankly the best looking phone I have seen. I have had a B&O Serene which is quite frankly blown away by this design. It is everything that a B&O phone should have been - the display echoes an old design of remote (Beolink 5000) though that was reversible and the simplicity is exactly what one wants in a phone. Congratulations on a truly innovative design.

#15 Guest_unni_*

Guest_unni_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2007 - 08:16 AM

good concept...but one small question...why is the keypad surface slightly curved? does it improve ergonomics? also i feel since the small is so small...u ould add more form details in the keypad area to make the product look drastically diff in the market..it sports a new technology, so let the phone flaunt it.
but good work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors: