Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

December 3d Modeling Challenge

Guest mcgreg

I'm going on xmas vacations, so I already did mine using some common sense on the lenghts!

candleholderrender01vw3.jpg

I also tried to put on a flame, but my rendering skills are still to low, specially with the light sources... so here goes also another candle with a "glass" flame!! :)

candleholderrender02sg5.jpg

Wao McGreg!!! you are a bullet!!

Very nice, very nice

Here we are with the Data... (Sorry for the delay, but you know, things of the season).

post-4562-1166821940.jpg

See you guys, and again: Merry Christmas to you all !!

Guest raymond

modled in rhino rendered in vray for rhino

post-7694-1166867214.jpg

hey guys,merry xmas for everybody,

not quite familia with rendering

not able to render a fire on the candle, and the aged copper is also hard to creat,

Guest csmurray

Alright, this is my first one of these challenges, and things are going pretty good, but I'm having some issues with making a helix for the band that wraps around the main vertical stick. I'm using solidworks and I tried to do a variable pitch helix with 2 tight loops, 1 loose one, 2 more tight ones, then the top section, but it says you must increase the number of loops with each variation. Since I couldn't do it that way I tried making several spirals that butt up against one another, but then I couldnt get loft to go all the way up the spiral. Can someone help me out?

Guest raymond

radge:your work is always amazing,looking forward to see your work and your tutorial

actrually I am not satisfied with my model,it's not quite perfect,

although you uses solidworks,it does help me a lot

Guest csmurray

Hey carbon, thinks for the link, those are some cool techniques and I ended up making a quick one ;) :

small.JPG

Unfortunately I can't figure out how to apply those 2 helix techniques they talked about to this candle holder. I'm just having issues with the height variations as it loops up, not so much the increase in diameter. Guess I'll have to wait for one of these solidworks champions like Ragde to do it, but until then:

untitled.JPG

Guest csmurray

ugh, im dumb..... I was definately reading the helix options wrong, and I managed to do it multiple times. I think I got it under control now, thanks ;)

and this should've been an easy one..

Guest mcgreg

Carbon: nice!

I tried using variable pitch, but I just couldn't get it, so I did several spirals. The problem with this was coinciding the end of one spiral with the beginning of the next... The solution I came up with was by doing a 3D sketch (spline) connecting all the spirals, with enough points (around 8 for each turn) to have a smooth circular curvature.

Not the most perfect of solutions, but it gets the job done! :)

Guest csmurray

Finally.. here's mine. Really took some battling to get that helix to do what I wanted and that piece at the top where it stops curving was tricky, but I think it's pretty close atleast. The flame is just a real flame photoshopped on, I didn't really feel like trying to render one. Thanks for the tips along the way though!

Candle%20Holder%20With%20Flame.jpg

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.