Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest newt @ MWE

Might Giv'er

Guest newt @ MWE

hey all

i am not sure if i will have the time to spend right now, but just to leave the door open, i thought i could jot down some ideas and get your feedback.

Problem : Textbooks

I am sure most of us are in school or recently graduated, so textbooks are something we can all remember. I know when i was in college i would buy a lot of used text books from the bookstore too keep costs down. however, these are usually quite marked up with pen and marker (highlighted passages, circled stuff, notes on the spine) from the previous owners. also, many texts are outdated in a couple years due to revisions.

My thought,

use either a cleanable matierial for the pages that can be washed with water without disturbing the print? maybe the pages are removable from the cover to be washed in a washing machine? kind of like a binder but without seperate pages? new revisions can be added as needed, to prevent the book from becoming garbage.

techy idea

you are issued a PDA sort of device when you en-roll and pay your tuition. as texts are required for your courses, they are uploaded to your specific device, using a touch screen you can make notes on the ppages, use flexible OLED technology to retain a books form.

benefits:

students save money by not having to by numerous texts.

school saves money by not having to by books, lease book prgrams?

no trees hurt

schools can have virtually any book ever published without worrying about where to find them.

new editions and revisions can be made easily.

not sure if this fits into the competition brief, it does deal with books and a problem regarding them though.

as mentioned these are just some initial thoughts of solutions and i will try to figure out some more. anyadvice critiques appriciated

thanks

newt

washable textbook with removable pages

washablera9.jpg

electronic textbooks

electronictextbbookdp1.jpg

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

its a slow day at work sooooo

a couple other ideas.

manufacturing :

1. the average book takes approx. 8 mintues start to finish manufacturing

2. not very durable.

3. mixed matierials are less recyclable.

so the idea is, a one piece injection molded book out of PP. i know cradle to cradle is made of pp so im not really innovating there, but the injection molding will drastically reduce the cycle time and make them easier to manufacture. printing may be another story, but hey, its an idea. also, some added benefits could be molded in page markers, washability as i had menttioned before and durability.

injectionmoldedrn6.jpg

next problem - those @#$@#$ kids these days seem to have lost the desire to read. in todays world with video games and tv and movies and the hipping and the hopping, kids seem to crave the flashy in depth expierience more than using thier imagination. my thought is to design an interective helmet or goggles that aids the imagination, not replaces it.

a headset or goggles with a screen that shows the text of the book. books (programs) can be on cards which slip into the unit (handsfree?). the unit has headphones which may play sounds at certain times in the book. there could also be a scent excreter that produces certain scents at points of the book. lets sat the lord of the rings books with the scent of brimstone and the clanging of swords in battle.

so a kid is stimulated into reading and aided in using thier imagination.

gogglesbq2.jpg

helmet2eq7.jpg

any thoughts any one.

newt

Guest raptor

how about power and control interface? power will lead to batteries making it heavy, or wires making it cumbersome. just my feedback. cheers.

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

no i havn't given uch thought to the details yet, just spitting out some random ideas.

any feedback will help though so keep um coming.

newt

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

so i have been thinking about manufacturing, resource use (sustainability), and recyclability of a book. i have come up with this idea, EXTRUD-A-BOOK. intended mainly for say 250-300 page novels, the book is a one piece, low durometer, polypropylene extrusion. it is quite possible to extrude to .02" and in fact, this thickness will cool very quickly and avoid warping.

as far as printing goes, the nature of an extrusion line (typically about 100 ft) is actually quite perfect for a roller press die, similar to what is used currently for mass labeling, packaging, and printing machines. the line would be extended to about 300 ft to add in the in line cutter , page turners (small inclined metal pieces) and printing rollers.

benefits over the existing -

1. reduced manufacturing times

2. cheaper to manufacture, and therefore sell, making them more accessible to all

3. one piece poly prop is fully recyclable

4. if corn based polymers are used, design could be fully bio-degradable.

5. if corn based polymers are used, no natural resource consumption.

6. potetially washable as noted earlier.

so, i think that this will be my direction, manufacturability and sustainability of books. if anyone has an issue with wether this fits into the brief let me know. from my perspective, i think this does fit within the realm of the brief as everyone can from the product.

cheaper books are more accessible to the individual and institution.

sustainable books benefit everyone through saving natural resources and eliminating consumption.

thanks newt.

extrudabookna8.jpg

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

so i have decided to go with the extrud-a-book concept.

i have attatched some research i have done highlighting current manufacturing and problems associated with books. also, a page highlighting intended technologies, thier current use and feasability. have a look...

manufacturinggf5.jpg

problemstt4.jpg

newideahi8.jpg

and here is a quick sketch about the applying existing processes into book production....

processty6.jpg

any suggestions or comments are greatly appriciated.

thanks

newt

Guest raptor

HI,

i am not convinced with the manufacturing concept of the book here. THe design challenge is really about usability and perhaps not about the maufacturing or durability of books. perhaps you could let us know why you fel this direction is worth pursuing?

Guest newt @ MWE

Hey

so the brief was stated as :

"Subject of the challenge: As you can see in the prizes topic, there are some cool books up for grabs this time, so why not have a book related competition. This time the subject will be pretty broad. We're asking you to design something that helps you dealing with problems reading books. This can be anything from storing books, to reading books by the swimmingpool."

i think it can be interpreted in a few ways which describe my direction

1. As i had said before, many times when you buy used books (this especially applies to students) they are marked up with circled passages and notes. The product i propose, the extruded book, allows for these marks to be easily washed off, making it more legible for the reader.

2. The manufacturing method of the product I propose will make the end product less expensive than its current itteration. As such, this product can make reading much more accessible to poverty stricken individuals. It may also have applications in third world countries where books and reading are reserved to an elite few.

3. Many people (which I am one) are environmentally aware and reallize that the future of design must be sustainable. With the fully recyclable and sustainable nature of my product, people can take a pleasure from knowing that natural resources are not being depleted by this product and it has no effect on the environment. As a note, i am leaning towards using a corn based polymer such as PLA. Corn is a superiorly hardy crop that can and is grown on virtually every continent (excluding the arctics). It also grows quickly and through rotational cropping, can be grown constantly (unlike tubors, vining plants, and fruiting plants).

well this is my interpretation of the theme. All three of the examples i listed above are problems with reading books which are addressed by my product. It also does not say that the solution itself can not be a book.

If anyone has concerns or disagrees with me, feel free to comment.

thanks

newt

Guest aman_s1ngh

do you really think that people are going to go through that hassle? manufacturers who make books would know if a customer requires a spindle for it to last long or a spingle for it to be comfortable to use in a short space of time

Guest gBevis

hey dude..

i agree with you that there is a problem with the manufacturing of books, and that they are not recycled enough.. and and they use up a lot of our trees!!we all know the story.. just need to do somehting about it.!

yea i think it fits into the brief.. and your the only person to have thought in this area (to what ive seen).. to solve the main issue with books in itself.. the environmental issue!

its stated its an open brief doenst it..?

book sellers know this, which is why they are trying to give a "green" caring etc etc vibe.. also manufacturers/ publishers in the last 10 years or so have been eperimenting with different materials.. i.e. rubber.. and use recycled paper... however these do tend to be design related books..

your idea of something for the manufacturing process newt, i think is a very interesting one... its a big problem, however.. dont forget that the print on aperhas a quality to it.. which is part of the appeal to some books.

but certainly in my oppinion BIO POLYMERS ARE THE FUTURE!!!! (its a change we will have to make)

gud luck,

gBevis