Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest eddwa

3rd Year Project!

Guest eddwa

Hi I am new to this site, I am currently a third year product design student at Sheffield Hallam University (UK). I have got some ideas that have been developted out of research and am just looking for any constructive comments.

More and more people are being on attacked on the streets of Britain and many of these attacks are unprovocked and without motive. Women fear sexual attacks and men fear groups of men when they are on their own. The majority of these attacks take place at night. rape alarms have been available for over a decade now, but it is something that has never caught on and something a man would probably never consider buying. So what do you think to a product that was marketed as an attack alarm that would some how appeal to both genders??

The next possibility is a product to combat the rising number of "dog crap" in public places. 28% of people say thay are put off from using public parks because of it. So I was thinking along the lines of some sort of hand held vavuum?? It would use bags that would prevent any of the "crap" coming into contact with the product.

My final idea was to design an improved umbrella, something that the consumer is constantly complaining about. could it be made simpler and more durable?

Any comments much appreciated, I am very open to your ideas and thoughts! Thanks.....ED

All good ideas and worth investigating further I think.

I'm not sure about a vacuumcleaner, I think people will prefer disposable products, because even if something never physically contacts the poo, it will still have this stigma of being dirty. So try not to jump to a certain solution too quickly.

Attack alarm sounds interesting, maybe some 999 speeddial combined with exact gps location and maybe even a quick snapshot camera that sends evidence? Anyways, interesting direction as well.

Umbrellas, they're trickier than you think, you might have to think about different solutions of rain protection, other mechanisms.. wind influence, etc.

Good luck!

Guest w i l l

Yeah umbrella's are a weird design but they need to be simplified. I designed one for a company last month that couldn't invert in the wind, but I prefer my own idea the 'Un-brella' which pours water on you (or maybe I stole that's someone elses idea - can't remember).

When I did my degree someone designed a dog poo grabbing hand... it basically is self contained but then when you activate it the grab comes out with a bag/cling film type wrap that bags up and grabs the dogs mess.

Guest eddwa

I think I am going down the line of public safety line, thinks an area that could definatley be improved. who feels safe walking alone at night? Rape/attack alarms are very effective but do not seem very popular at all. I would not have thought a guy would go out and buy one! Any one think theres any scope for a project here? thanks for you input.

I think I am going down the line of public safety line, thinks an area that could definatley be improved. who feels safe walking alone at night? Rape/attack alarms are very effective but do not seem very popular at all. I would not have thought a guy would go out and buy one! Any one think theres any scope for a project here? thanks for you input.

Maybe it's just me, but all my life I've lived in a major city (Toronto) and I've never feared for my life walking alone at night. Even now that I'm living out in one of the worst parts of the city (conveniently located near my school...) it's not a major issue.

This may also be because I'm a guy, but I think empowerment is hugely important when dealing with nighttime safety. When we perpetuate the idea that we should be scared to walk alone at night, fewer people do it, which only makes the problem worse. The less fear we have for that bogeyman out there who's going to rape and rob you, the better off we are. Obviously caution is important, but I think overstating the problem is as bad as understating it.

Just some food for thought. Social issues are great opportunities for design, but you need to make sure you don't look at just the prevailing view from the media (they have motives, too).

Guest eddwa

UK STATISTICS (FACTS)

73% of men fear attacks from groups when they are alone at night.

The number of these types of attacks has trebled in the last decade.

The number of convictions for these types of cases is decreasing year on year!

Turbofrog I am not going to base a graduation project around your opinions about public safety. Lets say you've got a 14 year old sister, would you let her walk around at night on her own? Like you say you do live in a major city, where there is always going to be someone around so your safety will not be as much of an issue. Thanks for your comments, but I can not say I found them constructive.

Guest w i l l

Unprovoked attacks are a major problem in the UK due to the lad culture... un-parallel to any other country. I don't think that many males would buy an attack alarm though, mainly because of a chauvinist opinion of not needing them. Also if the alarm sounds when an attack or fight breaks out who is going to help?... most people in this country would walk on by if its a male attack/fight. It happens all the time and has sadly become part of the culture and society of this country.

Guest eddwa

Who takes note of aney alarm these days? Attack alarms are more to distract the attacker give you chance to escape and get help. Or if you are lucky the attacker will scarper feering getting caught. No body listens to house alarms any more but a burgler is put off by it and leaves the property. So I was thinking more of promoting the attack alarm as a secondary function for a product. Mp3 player will probably be the products primary function. thanks for the input will!.

Guest w i l l

Still I can't imagine going for a walk around here at 1am, being attacked by a group of drunk lads and them running away when an alarm sounds. Maybe incorporate a flame thrower into the mp3 player. The only thing you are going to distract them with is free lager.

Guest eddwa

Have you ever heard a rape alarm will? your ear driums physically hurt. you can get one that creates 200 db! There is a ultra violet spray that has been developted that can be sprayed and then would stay on the attackers skin for 7 days, not going to stop you getting beaten but could improve levels of conviction. What dya reckon?

Guest R.B
Have you ever heard a rape alarm will? your ear driums physically hurt. you can get one that creates 200 db! There is a ultra violet spray that has been developted that can be sprayed and then would stay on the attackers skin for 7 days, not going to stop you getting beaten but could improve levels of conviction. What dya reckon?

problem is, if a gang are going to do you over, you'll be on the floor getting your head kicked in before you had a chance to pull it out, it's not like one person grabbing you and dragging you off down a street corner giving you more chance to get the device...also, they'll just stamp on it, and then kick another seven bells of shite out of you....so it's got to be durable, it's got to be easy to use, but not something that could go off prematurely, and it's got to be a funky looking cool gadget, not something that'll make you look like a chutney ferret.

I think this is a tough route to go down for a uni project, so good luck with it.

Guest eddwa

No I do think you have a valid point, if you are going to be done over by a gang then there isnt much that is going to help you (legal to carry). But looking at statistics rape alarms are very effective, but have only been used in one on one attacks. I have spoken to police officers and they highly recommend the alarms, but also stated problems with existing designs. Maybe I have tried to be too optimistic trying to design an alarm that would appeal to a much wider audience, as the initial project should probably be to design a better alarm......

Guest spana

i think its a good project. thought about doing it myself.

i carry a personal alarm with me when i know ill be walking alone when its dark, or when im going somewhere unfamiliar even if im with other people. i know its not 100% going to protect me if anything did happen but it makes me feel safer. i keep it in my coat pocket.

i think the issues you need to deal with (u probably know this already) are,

it will be hard, but if you can get guys to want one of these products that would be a good thing

it needs to be small - mines big, square and clumpy (word?) and i dont like it

its needs to be activated in a number of ways - maybe voice activated if the user cannot reach it with their hands

wearable / accessible

the police thing is a good idea, if it can transmit info to the nearest patrol car or station and give them an location

just a thought about the m3player; its good idea to combine it with the alarm so you 'always have it on you' but maybe the fact it is an mp3 may encourage attackers to steal it!... u then lose your alarm as well as being attacked.

thats all i can think of right now, but it would be great to see some sketches of your ideas!

Guest eddwa

If your at hallam you can hav a look at my sketches ne time spana! Eddie Tate, 3rd year product design, who r u?

Guest xcomapocom

Hi,

Here are my comments

"More and more people are being on attacked on the streets of Britain and many of these attacks are unprovocked and without motive. Women fear sexual attacks and men fear groups of men when they are on their own. The majority of these attacks take place at night. rape alarms have been available for over a decade now, but it is something that has never caught on and something a man would probably never consider buying. So what do you think to a product that was marketed as an attack alarm that would some how appeal to both genders??"

You can make use of high pitch noise, different people react different sound. What you can do is design a device that can project this 'noise', preferably mounted on the head . Or you design a device that shoot powders like pepper (not pepper spray)

"The next possibility is a product to combat the rising number of "dog crap" in public places. 28% of people say thay are put off from using public parks because of it. So I was thinking along the lines of some sort of hand held vavuum?? It would use bags that would prevent any of the "crap" coming into contact with the product."

A wear on "crap collector" for the dog. I will suggest a product to be similiar to that of the one use by horse carriage, which collect horse crap.

"My final idea was to design an improved umbrella, something that the consumer is constantly complaining about. could it be made simpler and more durable?"

For the umbrella solution, maybe you can come up with a disposable umbrella.