Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest pencil

I'm In

Guest pencil

The first thing that comes to my mind is somthing that stops pages turning. When reading a big book or paperback the pages need to be held with the hand, or an object resting on the page. Does anyone else like to read "handsfee" like me?

So, the objectives

-Very cheap, a few quid (-£5). typically sold at the tills etc.

-Something that would actually work.

-As its a design forum, has to look good. right?

Does anyone else think this would be usefull?

Please comment on the function.

Please comment on the looks.

...i can take the critisism!

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

i like the idea. i hate when im reading a new book and the elasticity of the spine in constantly trying to close the book or flip the pages. its a big pain.

i think your key, as with everyones, is to keep it simple, compact and stored with the book.

look forward to seeing some solutions.

newt

Guest pencil

Right,

I've done some sketches, but havent got a scanner that works nearby!

So staright to the meat. Here are two renders. - the brown object is an open book.

The product is mostly plastic (blue), with two metal bars to hold pages.

The bars can rotate, and are height adjustable to accomodate a range of book dimensions.

render2.jpg

render1.jpg

The model was made in solidworks.

Rendered with maxwell

Please leave comments

Wow, Maxwell is pretty crazy. I was looking at that and it seemed like just a quick prototype you'd rigged up, and I was trying to figure out what material you'd used to model the book. And then the next pic further added to my confusion.

So what exactly holds the plastic piece to the spine of the book?

Guest pencil

The idea is that the book's weight against a worktop surface would clamp the plastic part. -But also the metal bars would clamp the book to some degree.

This iteration was mainly to show the function etc, and if it seemed usefull.

Now the challenge is to;

-reduce cost, by only using plastics.

-explore foldable solutions, as Newt recomends.

-Make it look desirable instead of plain.

Guest pencil

Heres the next effort.

-1-piece moulding

-live-in hinges that allow for varying book sizes.

-o-ring/bunge cord incorporated to provide varying clamping for thicker books

- Folds flat, when not in use at about 10mm

-round profile to allow pages to slide easily under the product for turning

CHEAP UNIT COST

so would anyone buy one for £2.99 at the tills?

render3.jpg

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

very interesting, i love the simplicity of the design.

it may take some testing to prove it works, but it just may if the elastic is strong enough. don't know if you will run into problems with the holder blocking some of the writing near the spine though? it may be an inherent problem with the design.

i would like to see more sketching and/or exploration in your thread though. just an opinion thing.

again, i love that idea, there is deffinit product potential there.

newt

Guest pencil
if the elastic is strong enough?
-then sold in packs of 2!?

i will give it some further thought.

i dont think a 1 inch thickness would be much of a problem for most books. -But if it is i would probably use a translucent plastic for the body, and do a second injection for the branding in a coloured plastic.

the render looks quite static, thats my fault. in reality i see the product being placed at the edge, on a corner, down a side, where ever it is needed. so would be moved around a bit when in use.

i'm happy with the o-ring, love the simlicity of those things.

i may add some sketches, but they are really quick. My style of sketching definatly clears the problem in my mind, rather than comunicates a well defined concept! i will try and post some decent ones.

Guest cooperkid

I like the idea.. An idea similar to a rubber bands that some people use to hold the pages

I'd like to see a clear acrylic version, this would be better if you've got a double page spread? This would allow you to see any text / illustration underneath.

Guest pencil

I've made some changes, which may seem hard to spot but are there!

-top part changed to a clear plastic. prob polystyrene based, not acrylic for cost saving.

-o-ring holding tags have been styled to suit the product.

-branding has been retained but in a more subtle way. (on the lower clip surface)

-o-ring routing has been improved.

-the profile of the clip legs have been changed. The lower leg is concave to suit the spine of a book. the upper leg is rounded to split the pages. -both profiles fit together to reduce the folded thickness.

render4.jpg

Below is an images of the sales display as i see it. very simple and low cost, in keeping with the rest of the product.

What does everyone think?

render5.jpg

Nice idea and development, but how quickly can the user attach and reattach the product? Those actions might be annoying to a quick reader while flipping pages. Maybe you can think about a hinge&release button solution.

And how about integrated lighting? Hmm might be too much.

Anyways, love the aesthetic qualities so far.

Guest pencil

i agree, that is the obvious question and potential flaw. I'm not imagining that the product would be removed+ attached for every page turn. i envisage the clip sliding onto the next page a bit then the page getting pulled from under the clip, turned, and the clip repositioned. -that probably doesnt make sense and ill try and post some clear diagrams.

-certainly for fiction novels and gripping books where the pages are turned very quickly i dont think this product would be needed. but there is still a huge market to capitalise on;

-Any referance book where the page read time is a bit longer.

-Slow readers

-Permanently open books(display)

-Lazy readers (like me) that hate holding pages open

-luxury bookmark!

the other strong market i would sell to is the promotional items one. Where businesses buy pens, notepads, umbrellas etc with thier company branding on. The page+plus could be printed with company artwork and given to thier customers free. This would be a very viable business if amazon.com etc was a client...