Product Design Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest krywarick6

Turned Myself Into A Corner

Guest krywarick6

I got this piece of spalted maple and I thought I would turn into a lamp post. Like the dog that catches the car, I don't know what I want to do with it next.

The post is about 15 inches tall. I don't have an over height in mind, just whatever looks proportionate. I'm not opposed to mixing materials.

Though it may not translate totally, I was inspired from Mission style furniture. I know Mission doesn't normally use round features, I was trying to capture the long lines of the style. This is why I went for a long gentle loft and a short chamfering feature near the top of the spindle.

I was possibly thinking stained glass shade, that's not set in stone though. Whatever would compliment is more important.

For the base, I could turn some other shape to compliment from wood. I have birch, ash, walnut, red oak and russian olive on hand.

I also have access to steel or aluminum(bare or black anodized) or possibly lexan or acrylic.

The light bulb socket hardware is just off the shelf from a hardware store. I have already predrilled a cord hole in the middle of the entire length.

I don't want something that is going to fall over if it goes onto a night stand. I can find a way to add in any required weight.

Any suggestions or sketches would be appreciated.

Regards

Chris

post-2826-1165902033.jpgpost-2826-1165902068.jpg