Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Taras Mykytyuk

Light Pod

Guest Taras Mykytyuk

- Light pod project -

ENTRY: 11 Dec 2006

This project this based on a clip-lamp that I acquired to be able to read books in the afternoon or night when there is not sufficient light (because as university study I have to travel in bus, this time is taken advantage for reading). But the main disadvantage is that the LED emits a very cold light that causes exhaustion for the eyes. By this I decided to use something that we use in our houses, Lamps of low consumption. I remove it of an old scanner that I have. It is compact and efficient this lamp can be fed with an adequate rechargeable battery, what is important that the light does not cause fatigue of eye.

- Here you can see some images that inspired me.

idea_post.jpg

-These they are sketch that I did during 9/12/2006 and 10/12/2006. In which I explore the form and different possibilities of operation.

idea1.jpg

idea2.jpg

idea3.jpg

idea4.jpg

In this sketch I approach to final design on which I will have to work.

idea5.jpg

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

it is kind of hard to tell whats going on in the sketches. a good in use sketch or in context may help to clear up exactly what your thought is. from the pics it is also hard to tell what you are trying to accomplish. is it backlit? if so you will have a problem with the text on the opposite side of the page being illuminated.

also, i am pretty sure that these have all ready been invented. there are numerous iterations out there (clip on top, side, bendy neck, spine mount, cover mount, page flood, etc.) using various lighting options (LED, flourescent, mini-incandescent, optical grade plastics).

i have attatched a neat concept using incandescent and optical grade acrylic. similar to yours, it diffuses the light to reduce eye fatigue, doesn't create a wash on the page and is a pretty neat idea.

i think, and this is just personal opinion, that the book light / clip light has been done to death, so unless the concept is really something new and beneficial, it is simply a styling excercise.

newt

post-3440-1165931626.jpg

Guest Taras Mykytyuk

Hey

Thanks by comment, you are right clip Light already was redesigned several times and I do not intend to do somewhat revolutionary. But as I have written in the post I have one that functions with LEDs and what I wanted to cause is to improve it with the things that I have.

You are right the sketch, they are not very clear I go to do them exhaustive for the next one, besides I did a few more, because as the idea is to use rechargeable battery lacked me to design the loaded, later I am going to publish them.

Thanks by the comment I expect more criticizes for this project.

Guest Taras Mykytyuk

This is because I draw them when was travelling and they are very fast sketch.

Guest w i l l

Ok, but it's good to see these thought processes. Every scribble tells a story.

Wondered why everyone was designing book lights and then I realised that its the new challenge. Duh.

Guest Taras Mykytyuk

- Light pod project -

ENTRY: 13 Dec 2006

Well here I add some sketch done during exploration of other possible functions for Light pod. First I began with the design of charger for batteries of Light pod, then the idea of a possible use arose like lamp for desk. For example when I arrive from the university to my house and I have to read something.

- This it page shows the design of the assembly and the representation of the idea that arose me.

page1.jpg

- It shows the functions of the support.

page2.jpg

- More of the same thing.

page3.jpg

- New return of nut for the idea, I have changed some things. Work with basic forms: circles and square.

page4.jpg

- More sketchs.

page5.jpg

- Showing different uses.

page6.jpg

- You can see here some modifications done in the design according to the comments of newt @ MWE. I add a roll-up laminates of transparent plastic to distribute the light on page and to improve the quality of reading.

page7.jpg

- These are the sketch of the support for Light pod, in the base can observe batteries load indicator and indicator of presence of Light pod.

page8.jpg

- Detailed look of the connection of Light pod and the base with indicator. Design of well intuitive indicator, when Light pod is present one round LED is on. The load of batteries is measured and the bars of LED indicate it, if the batteries are completely dischargeed the bar of 25% begins to blink until they be not charged to 25% then continues the same process with LED of 50%.

page9.jpg

- Another function that found interesting for Light pod, to use the clip that is used to hold the Light pod to book, for hang papers with notes when this in the support complying function of desk lamp or charging the batteries.

page10.jpg

This is all for today, step to following phase.