Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest ipsky84

Peugeot Drive Concept...with Images

Guest ipsky84

hey everyone...sorry for the earlier post...which showed no images.

this is rohan, 22 and an evolving designer, and this is first post on this forum.

well, this is my entry to the Peugeot Design Competition. its fairly a rough concept and i've just kept it to my sketching pad...a subtle way of saying i ain't that good with software modelling and rendering yet. and i've no automobile styling and design experience as of yet.

the concepts pretty simple...its a very personalized, highly customizable 4 seater vehicle, which the users can relate to as being one of their own. i did think about lots of issues whist designing it...but haven't mentioned all of those in these images. the typography and layouting is quite substandard...i agree, but i'd been busy with a whole lotta other stuff as well...no excuses though.

i'm hopeful of receiving good criticism, and suggestions on this one...

cheers...

wheelposterce5.jpg

image2briefkr5.jpg

image3vieweddddqn3.jpg

imagedashboardtl1.jpg

image5seatqr0.jpg

Guest w i l l

Hi I think that other people can give you some more in depth feedback (although I like the old skool look of the sketches)... I'm just interested to know what the font is that you've used here.

Guest ajampaniki
Hi I think that other people can give you some more in depth feedback (although I like the old skool look of the sketches)... I'm just interested to know what the font is that you've used here.

I'm ashamed to say that's the only thing I would like to know 2. Dont know wich font will is talking about, but I would like to know the font of the little comment texts.

Oh a bit of comment. The side view looks really nice, but the top view is so blocky, especially compared to the side.

Guest ipsky84

hey thnks for ur comments. i agree its blocky...perhaps an isometric/perspective rendering would have been better there. the font for the main text is humnst777 and that for the comments is cityblueprint...in italics.

Perspective drawings are essential for car design. It's impossible to visualize the car in 3D when all you have is orthographic views.

Just keep practicing and learning. People like to see that you have done work outside of your school curriculum even if it isn't the most brilliant work. It shows you have motivation to pursue outside projects which is a good trait to have.

Ouch. I hate this. It looks like a design someone who's never truly 'loved' a car design would make out of a solid block of foam with a bandsaw in about 5 minutes. It's like a minivan... with less space, and ungainly proportions. Just go back to the drawing board... I think you took this one too far without doing enough thumbnails. I do thumbnails til I'm sick of the project completely, then I come back the next day and do more.

Good luck.

Guest ipsky84

many thanks cash68 and cyberdemon...for those inputs. i was bit hesitant to sketch out a perspective view as i'm not quite good at it yet. but i did a lot of preliminary concept sketches and linework to get to shape i wanted out of the car. the thing is...i never intended to give the car a blocky feel...as i live by curves (lol), but goofed up when deciding the converging points of the side and top frames. and my layman intuition with automobile design and rendering really worked to my disadvantage.

anyway...i'm striving to do better and hon my skills in this area. i would be glad if someone could suggest good books for automobile & product design sketching and rendering, especially with art markers.

i use prismacolor art markers and faber castell colour pencils to do my renderings. is it a good choice?

It's not really the renderings I have a problem with, it's the design. For instance, the doors. Where do they open? What part is hinged? How would that work? Will the windows ever roll down? Considering how big the canopy is, don't you think it'd get really really hot? Especially with fixed windows? The dash is just.... very very 'blah' to me. And what is an airbag duct? Does hte trunk open? How? Where? How do people get into the backseat?

Personally... I dunno... I believe that if you aren't a 'car person', you're probably not going to ever be very good at designing cars. Maybe aim for another field to design for, something you're passionate about.

Guest ipsky84

thnks cash68. yea...i'm new with cars, and perhaps thts why little edgy about them. i do have all the answers to your questions, but i was not able to sketch them all out on paper. i'll do tht soon. and i intend to work on tht car in a more professional and 'designer' way.

i agree with what you said about being passionate about what you want to design. and i do agree that one sees no passion in tht piece of work i've posted. but good things come at a price, and rather ask for extensive time investment...and good things evolve out of not-so-good things. so i'll take time to improve...

i appreciate your inputs and will look to incorporate em...do keep commenting on my work in future.

and i'm a 'car person'...but no ones a 'car person' from day one.

There a tons of tutorials on this site, Cardesignnews.com, carbodydesign.com, DVD's, etc. There are a lot of resources for learning to draw cars you just need to actively practice. I've been practicing for a while and I'm still not good by most standards.

Guest toodef1

Can I reccomend to you - How to design Cars like a Pro - By Tony Lewin ISBN 0 - 7603 - 1641 - 4

Should be a good start for you and give some grounding on how cars become what they are on street, and also the ways into the car design studios.

Hayden

Guest ipsky84
Can I reccomend to you - How to design Cars like a Pro - By Tony Lewin ISBN 0 - 7603 - 1641 - 4

Should be a good start for you and give some grounding on how cars become what they are on street, and also the ways into the car design studios.

Hayden

hey hayden...thanks a lot. i'll get my hands on that one soon.

i work with prismacolor art markers, colour pencils and dry pastels...and have been using canson marker paper. are there any other papers suitable for my combination of rendering media?

I'd recommend using more marker and less pencil crayon. Certainly don't use pencil crayon for shading, only linework. It's just about impossible to get a smooth, consistent looking gradation with pencil crayon - especially when you scan it, you see all the bumps and dips of the the paper and it looks terrible.