Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
engio

Alarme - Personal Alarm Watch

The product is an alarm for hearing impaired people. It vibrates and blinks and stuff when for instance a fire alarm at a hotel or some other public place goes of. That would require the hotel to install a special fire alarm. Its secondary function are those multidirectional microphones that can register a drastic change in ambient sound level, or pick up specially asigned frequencies and alert the user. Why a watch? Convinient to wear and access, close contact with the body all the time guarantees effective vibration, doesnt make you look like a complete lunatic (perhaps a little, but i was trying to capture the alarm look and not a stylish watch)

This was made for RSA Inclusive Worlds brief.

rendersrsajv8.jpg

Sketches

01sketchesdt9.th.jpg

Guest Jagboy

Looks awesome. Very nice idea as well but it seems like it would take a lot of legal work to get firealarms that transmit a standard signal on a standard frequency.

JB

Guest john-john

Your renders are really cool too bad that there is nothing on the screen because you loose some realism i think.

however really nice design.

Thanks all!

johnjohn: you think so? I spent alot of time on the display cause i wanted it to dont show any graphics. in a high-res image you can see the pixelated texture of the display. i did some renders with graphics for other presentation boards for photo integration

post-4452-1166291655.jpg

Some design and gadgetblogs seem to have picked this up, which Im pretty happy about :blink:

http://www.yankodesign.com/product_info.php?products_id=1519

http://www.coolbuzz.org/entry/vibrating-alarm-watch/

http://www.2dayblog.com/blog/2007/01/12/vi...ng-alarm-watch/

Now Im not really worried about intelectual property rights on this one, but its still a bit sad to see them put my username as designer and not even linking here (I emailed yankodesign and asked them to change to my real name, thankfully they did that).

Guest superbad

I missed this the first time around, but there's no reason you need to have a special fire alarm to make this work. That is an absolutely impossible requirement anyway- there are hundreds of millions of installed fire alarms, and people aren't going to swap them out for your watch. It would take some experimentation to get it right, but you could easily get it to either respond to high volume events, or oscillating tones at a certain combination of volume and frequency- sirens, fire alarms, etc. I think you hinted at this in your initial post, so you're probably headed that way anyway.

Great idea, and worth pursuing. On a more prosaic note, the render could use some work, especially the background and the strap.

I missed this the first time around, but there's no reason you need to have a special fire alarm to make this work. That is an absolutely impossible requirement anyway- there are hundreds of millions of installed fire alarms, and people aren't going to swap them out for your watch. It would take some experimentation to get it right, but you could easily get it to either respond to high volume events, or oscillating tones at a certain combination of volume and frequency- sirens, fire alarms, etc. I think you hinted at this in your initial post, so you're probably headed that way anyway.

Great idea, and worth pursuing. On a more prosaic note, the render could use some work, especially the background and the strap.

Yeah, there's not much else that sounds like a fire alarm, really. And if it was accidentally triggered by, say, a car alarm, I doubt it would be much of a problem because you'd know you were outside.

Guest dark.

nice concept.

its looks like the phillippe starck watches though.

Also I think that you should have used a different bg colour for the render as it looks too grey.