Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raptor

Cliplight

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

in response to fishtodeath. i like the glow in the dark idea, very good thought in an emergency setting where you have no lights. i don't know about the flashing idea though. it seams that it would drain the battery needlessly and possibly screw the product in an emergency.

in response to raptor

a card or keychain light can be bought at a dollar store for....wait for it.....a dollar. i also don't see your product being more durable than a card light or key chain. no offence, but those can take quite a smack. i am still not convinced of the durability of the electrodes on the led. i have worked with LEDs several times and have found this to be true. however, i could be wrong.

I really do like the barebones and raw approach to the product, i just think it raises more issues than it solves.

newt

Guest raptor

Hi fishtodeath,

i like the glow in the dark concept, and that glow in the dark paint could be painted to the packaging. I have used both LEDs and glow in the dark illuminescent paints before in several project and have a hands-on experience. From my experience, glow-in-the-dark paints are only useful when they have been "charged" in sunlight for a couple of hours or in some other UV source. if the product is kept mostly in a drawer, there would be no charging to the paint and the glow-in-the-dark effect would not work. Hence in my opinion, the glow-in-the dark effect would not be really useful.

Newt, this product cannot be compared to a dollar keychain light. Products cannot be compared dollar to dollar this way. In summary, i also do not think that this product has raised more issues than it solves. Fundamentally it provides a secure light source in times of need and it works in a bare-bones approach. I am personally pleased with the way this hands-on approach has led to the almost final product. Conventionally i used to take the sketching and development way like most of us do, but in this project, the hands-on approach has worked very well and led me to this.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone! Cheers!

Guest cherry bomb

if switching it off requires taking the battery out (when used on something other than a book), what do you do with the two separate bits afterwards?

it could be an idea to make the packaging something you can also later use as storage (as i believe someone mentioned earlier), which might also help keep the wire from getting bent out of shape.

Guest raptor

Hi aman_s1ngh,

thanks for your reply. regarding your comment that you'd lose this easily, I have to say that it all depends on the user. For a more careful person, he wouldn't, but you have admitted that you'd lose the stuff easily, so at the end of the day, its all down to the user, how he takes care and handles his own possessions. I have also made it clear that my design brief is to come up with a small and compact, no frills product and I am confident that I have made the decisions that led to the product what it is.

cherry bomb,

switching it off doesnt require you to take out the batteries totally. In one of my developments, I have improvised with an extended wire so that the light switches off automatically when the book is closed.

In your question that what happens when one takes the battery out totally, well, that would happen when the emergency or the need to have illumination is over, and beyond that, the suggestion would be to put both items back into its original ziploc packaging.

The idea to make packaging as part of storage is a really nice idea. I think someone mentioned a similar idea to use the packaging as part of the casing. However, in order to stick to the no-frills approach, I have decided to simply make the ClipLight, only as two parts - the LED and the Battery.

Hope that answers to the questions. Cheers!

Guest raptor

LOG ENTRY: 31 Dec 2006

Hi all, I have finalised the packaging and come up with another variation which differs from the earlier one. There has been no change to the original ClipLight concept whatsoever and still remains true to its no-frills idea. The packaging, in my original concept, uses a ziplock bag and a stapled label. From my tests, I found that the LED and batteries contact each other and light up at times, thus consuming power unncessarily and will make it unsafe. I thus came up with another packaging which uses a hard cardboard and a vacuum formed plastic to separate the LED and battery. Due to time constrains and the workshop being closed, I was unable to replicate the vacuum form cover. But I have tried my very best to do a simple mock up. Below are the photos. Cheers!

final1.jpg

(above) the front of the second packaging with hard card and vacuum form plastic (unavailable)

final2.jpg

(abobe) the back of the second packaging showing the instruction graphics

final3.jpg

(above) comparison with the first and second packaging

final4.jpg

(above) showing the back design of the first and second packaging

final5.jpg

(above) just to recap how the ClipLight looks when in operation and clipped to a book page

final6.jpg

(above) the ClipLight in a top angle showing how it is fastened onto a page

Have a Happy New Year everyone! Cheers - Raptor!

Guest raptor

...and abit more images here....

alls3.jpg

(above) Overview of the ClipLight

alls4.jpg

(above) ClipLight Packaging

-Raptor

Guest 阿cat (ahcat86)

me again,

the instruction is a little confusing, especially the point of view. it will be better if it's from the same angle. i got lost after step 2

did you intend this cliplight to act as a bookmark? not every book is like the one in your picture with the nice margin for battery and led.

also, you mentioned that you can skim through pages and then find something important then clip the light on the page. are you holding the light? keep in mind that most books dont stay open all the way. so you will need 1 hand to hold the light, 1 hand to hold the book, and 1 hand to flip the pages.

u mentioned the light doesnt have to be attached to the book, also on the sleeve? or something else... i am not sure if that is very convincing... why not clip the light on the cover (like many book lights)? you will have to change the design but it seems like a more logical solution.

lastly, if you are going to vacuum form the packaging, why not put it in good use? right now it serves as the instruction but u have wasted glue and plastic. there is a very simple solution that could totally wrap up your design if you just utilize the packaging. your "8 easy steps" could simplify to "2 easy steps".

in my opinion you have designed such a simple product but your packaging ruins the design objective.

good luck happy new year.

Guest raptor

Hi Cat,

thanks for your feedback. I suppose you have followed my developments very closely, but have missed out very important points as well. Most of your questions have been answered by previous posts actually. Nevertheless, let me answer them to my very best:

1. instruction is a little confusing, especially the point of view. it will be better if it's from the same angle.

-> I dont understand the point of view that you mentioned. If you look at my instruction graphics, almost all of them, except for step 5, show the left thumb and index finger picking the LED in EXACTLY the same position with no change. So how can this be not the same angle????

2. did you intend this cliplight to act as a bookmark?

-> No it is not! I have mentioned right from the start in my brief that it is an illuminating light for reading! Never a bookmark at all! Argh.

3. are you holding the light?

-> This is a ClipLight. What are you talking about?

4. why not clip the light on the cover

-> This product is meant for use only as a short duration of time, for example in emergencies, and not for leisure reading at all.

5. vacuum form the packaging, why not put it in good use

-> If the packaging is used as a cover for the design, imagine how much more material it will need to be in order to make it durable, add testing costs, additional switches, the battery cover etc. This no longer makes the original ClipLight as a no-frills product!

6. in my opinion you have designed such a simple product but your packaging ruins the design objective.

-> In my opinion as the designer for the product, I have made it clear that the product is to be minimal and no-frills in a DIY kit form. The packaging serves 3 purposes: To protect the contents, As a store display and As an instruction graphics sheet. I would like to stick to this.

Thanks and have a Happy New Year, Cat.