Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raptor

Cliplight

Guest raptor

LOG ENTRY: 17 Dec 2006 21:15hrs

I have created a packaging mockup for the ClipLight. Further this, I will try creating another packaging using vacuum packaging which will allow both battery and LED to be packed separately. Will do it where time and workshop permitting.

pack1.jpg

(above) the front of the packaging

pack2.jpg

(above) the back of the packaging

Guest raptor

LOG ENTRY: 18 Dec 2006

I have developed the packaging graphics for the vacuum form packaging. The graphics below show the printed card. Where time permits, I will do a mockup of the vacuum form.

pack3.jpg

(above) printed card, front and back for the vacuum form packaging.

I have posted this photograph below of the working prototype to help readers recall how the cliplight works when fastened to a book page.

book7.gif

(above) the cliplight when fastened onto a book for quick reading. it is meant to be used for very short durations, for example when looking at a street directory, map book, car manual, and useful in times of emergencies. This concept exemplifies how a simple bare-bones product can be made simple and economical.

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

great work, you ve really fully developed a product here. my only concern is you have not really explored any other routes or solutions. if there is an issue with this product, or a serious flaw pointed out, it may sink the entire project without a back up plan.

i love the packaging, the style is great and very much matches the utilitaqrian design of your product.

anyways, i do have a couple concerns though, what is the durability of the leads on the leds? i have had expieriences in the past where these will snap if bent. they seem to work fine on the initial bend but with a little time and use, i have a feeling they will snap at the bends.

you have sort of addressed the off function, but it only seems that it works when it is in a closed book. what happens when the light is not in a book. if the product is for emergency situations, it probably would not be permenantly attached to a specific book. if the solutoion is simply removing the battery, you will run into the problem i described above (breakage).

as others have mentioned, there are emergency lighting solutions out there, so the question remains, what makes yours an improvment over these?

newt

Guest raptor

Hi newt,

in response to your questions, here are my answers:

1. my only concern is you have not really explored any other routes or solutions -> Yes I have explored. if you have noticed from the development of how the cliplight has evolved, i have explored other variations of the bent wire. Similarly, I am in the process of exploring other packaging concepts. We have a very short time frame here and all of us use our little spare time to take part, and really documenting this process is also time-consuming. I do not know about you, but I have to say that time on my side is extremely short, and many of you may be aware that this festive time of the year adds to lesser than usual free time.

2. durability of the leads on the LEDs -> Like with all products, there is a duration of use or what they call "life-span of the product". The ClipLight is meant to be use for basically only once in a real emergency situation. beyond that, the real functionality goes not more than being used for 10 times. I have therefore minimized the components so that it can be easily recycled or put to other use. The batteries can therefore be use for other purposes. The LEDs can be recycled, re-bent or resold to your local hardware store or for other projects. It makes do with a hard shell or case which really is unnecessary in my point of view.

3. The LEDs snap if bent -> Like all products and parts, there is a threshold of how it can be used. If a user handles products roughly, even an extremely sharp knife will be blunt if dropped careflessly. In my experiments, I have not experienced any snapping. The LEDs are bent only once. Therefore I do not see any reason that these will snap unless they are rigously bent over and over again, but not for here. They are only bent once.

4. addressing the off function -> Logically, if the current off function does not work, the next step will be to remove the battery. It is as simple as that and is not a difficult thing to do at all. It is far more advantageous than to introduce a third object or a switch which not only increases cost, but the bulk of the product. Furthermore, in an emergency, the lights should be switched on for the period of use and there is little necessity for the introduction of a real on-off function. Hence I rest my case for the on-off function here.

5. what makes yours an improvement over these -> Please check back. I have replied to this question already. Thanks again.

Guest Edua Mo Liewus

Hi there,

Great research work u have there, but where's the aesthetic look

& design?

It looks raw to me, cos ppl are concern with the product,

its good tat you came up with the packaging design.

But don't let that sidetrack away from the design idea.

great work u hav.

Cheers.

Guest pencil

Hi Raptor

How much would you charge for your product? I think cost is key to determine the need for the led + cell to require a plastic casing.

My concerns with the concept are;

-In an emergency situation would the user want to bend the wire around a cell?

-Can the wire be bent accuratly using only fingers?

-Would the led wires need to be accuratly crimped (manufacture) to allow user assembly?

-When the unique selling point of the product is the kit approach, would a user want more involvement? (more to do, more components)

-How do you justify a retal price of more than pence for stock componenets?

I like the thorough process you have followed, with a hands on approach. I think the form can remain designer stark, but adding features to stop breakage, easy operation and user involvement are in my opinion key.

Guest raptor

Dear Pencil,

thanks for the feedback, as well as all of you who have been following my development in the design of the Cliplight.

1. The cliplight is meant to be purchased an further DIY-ed to be kept for an emergency. It takes on the similar approach to a fire extinguisher. We buy a fire extinguisher, and before an incident does happen, we actually need to read through its instructions and rehearse how it works. The cliplight is the same, except that the bending of the wires takes 6 steps as shown in the instructions. These 6 steps allow a hands-free operation to an illumination source.

2. The wires can be bent easily and do not equire any special tools. I had a proposal to actully mark out marks on the wire to enable the user to ascertain which sections are to be bent. I decided not to overcomplicate and decide that the instructions would suffice.

3. The LED wires do not need to be specially manufactured. They are bought and bent as it is. The only condition is that I have use an LED with extra-long wire length.

4. The kit approach, or DIY-approach is the special aspect of this concept. Also, it is simple, and requires no special tools. The best part is that this concept takes on a standard LED and a coin cell battery and together it morphs into a product. How very often do we see such products in their raw form without unnecesary packaging?

5. This product, regarding it retail price, in my opinion, should not be overpriced. It is really meant to be an afforable kit for everyone and for all.

Guest 阿cat (ahcat86)

I am very very impressed with your effort and I really like how you documented each step. it's good that designers should defend their work and justify their process, but there are a lot of valid comments made by others that you simply ignored in terms of design.

here are some of the things i have noticed (correct me if i didnt catch something in the thread)

your main concept is that this is for emergency use and it's a kit that contains the bare minimal components that make this product function. so far so good.

1.) if this is for emergency, why does it require assembly(benting)? why do you need to put in the battery yourself? you packaging should accommodate the design where u break the package open and it works. same as fire extinguisher, u pull the pin off and it works (no assembly required)

2.) u said this was to be kept inside a wallet or a box, but when u need to use this in an emergency, i am assuming it's dark already. if u cant see anything, how do u assemble it? shouldnt something that is for emergency use be easily accessible? maybe it's some sort of decoration when it's not being used.

3.) someone said it's not accurate where u bend, and that u might snap it when u bend it. if u mark the wire, that still does not justify accuracy, there is 360 possible ways to bend it if you know what i mean. if you make a cut mark to make it easier to bend, it would break easier too.

4.) who would actually buy this? seems like a novelty item to me. the way you packaged it proves that. the packaging material and packaging process might already bring the cost up to where this product is not even worth selling (unless this is multiple units per pack).

5.) you disregarded a lot of people's comments on casing and cover by saying that the product is minimal. the packaging of this product is so important to your design, you should consider what people have said about the casing and make the packaging some sort of cover for the light. that way you are not wasting a piece of paper, a staple, and a plastic bag on a little led light and batter.

6.) the main flaw of this product is the clipping feature. the name of your product suggests its purpose. if this is attached to a page in the book, does that mean you have to reposition it every page you read? that would be annoying. if this was for a map or a manual of some sort, would you be skimming through?

7.) i dont think you have looked into the shape of the LED, that would really determine the use of your product. im sure you are well aware that different cuts in the tip result in totally different light patterns.

one thing i do agree with you on is the on/off switch. that feature is not necessary for this product's purpose.

you should win this contest just for your effort, but im not so hot about the overall design. i think i've made some good points and i look forward to your response (hopefully with further development)

good luck

Guest raptor

Hi Cat,

thanks for the comments. I appreciate you following through my developments and what you say, like the other forum membrs, each of you have thir valid reasons and valid perspectives. At the end of the day, i will try my best to answer your questions. In fact many of these questions have spurred me to think further, and to justify. I also need to highlight that right in the beginning of my development, only very few comments were made. At this point of time, there is really no turning back, but it serves as a good experience for future projects. More importantly, I have made friends with all of you and I appreciate this friendship of learning from each other. On my part, I faithfully document each process and try my very best to answer your questions. Time is tight on my side and the past few days did not allow me to use the workshop to fabricate parts.

Let me answer some of your questions, where I also hope answers to old questions or from other members who have spoken to me:

1. if this is for emergency, why does it require assembly(benting)?

-> In my second post, dated LOG ENTRY: 5 Dec 2006, in the second photograph, bascially an LED with a coin cell battery alone without bending, already allows illumination. This already works as I had demonstrated from the photograph. The un-bent LED however has drawbacks, with the battery slipping off easily. I therefore came up with several concepts to determine the most efficient way to secure the battery with the LED with minimum effort. The 6-step bending process was the most efficient way I managed to develop over the last 2 weeks. In summary, yes, the product works when you open the packaging. However, my aim is to have the clip function, so that it can be attached whilst reading. Hence the creation of the clip function. Similarly for the fire extinguisher, you will need to read the instructions before an incident actually occurs. You may know how an extinguisher works, but not everyone does. Hence you'll need to read the instructions before an incident actually happens. The same for the ClipLight. Logically the person would read the instructions at the point of purchase, and if he deems necessary, proceed to bending the wires. Even if he does not bend the wire, the LED still works, as i have mentioned. so the function has never been compromised at all right from the beginning.

2. During an emergency, even when not bent, the LED still functions with the battery, even though it cannot be clipped. It will be up to the user / buyer's discreetion to check, bend and ready the kit before an actual emergency happens. Take for instance a first aid kit. Some of us do have kits at home. But do we really know what to do? Or the proper way to bandage or to fully use each and every single lotion or first aid cream? I doubt we do. But for the cliplight, even when its not bent, it can be fully used, except that the clip function is not there.

3. There are 360 ways to bend a wire. That might be true. But to the very best of my ability, I have provided instruction graphics and it will be up to the user to follow as instructed, along with my arrows other instructions. Same for a fire extinguisher. To those who do not know that the safety pin must be pulled out prior to use, if they do not know about the pin, they will never be able to use it. Therefore, one needs to read the instructions. After that, whether the user wishes to carry out practice, or have an kit ready before-hand, is far better than having no kit at all.

4. Who would actually buy this? I had already stated my target market in my earlier posts. The way I packaged it proves that it is a novelty item? No and it has never been made to be a novelty item. It has a strikingly bold yellow and black with key instructions. No fancy text or gibberish. Just straight forward - the kit, and instructions.

5. people's comments on casing. Could you perhaps justify the need for a casing for a simple product like this? Making the packaging some sort of cover would be nice, but it would mean tha the packaging be durable and other additional requirements. These would add additional costs. In my opinion, the easily recyclable packaging that I have proposed, and with 2 key items in the kit, are the bare-basics that meet the functionality of the product.

6. the main flaw of this product is the clipping feature

-> In an emergency, in my opinion and logic, I understand that an emergency manual would be flipped many times over. When the reader decides on an important page, he would stop the page, and to read more details, he would clip the light to that particular page. The cliplight illuminates the page, as well as acts as a bookmark. Alternatively, users can clip the light to their wristwatch or other thin objects or rebend the wire as necessary.

7. i dont think you have looked into the shape of the LED. I have looked into that and in my possession, I have at least a total of 20 LED shapes. I cannot possibly explain every single decision although I have tried my very best to document everything. Most LEDs, from my research, have either a 30° or 60° illumination angle regardless of the LED shape. The LED shape only helps diffuse the light. In this product, I have used a 60° angled illumination LED and hence the shape is less critical in choice.

I hope the lengthy answers does answer the questions. Please continue to feedback and I really appreciate these comments and I do not take them personally. In fact design is all about criticisms, justifications and decisions. Keep going!

Guest dmac

Hey just wondering, have you conducted any user testing to see that your instructions make enough sense by themselves?

Dave

Guest raptor

Hi dmac,

yes, it has been tested on 5 people. Not a large number, but within my means. The fifth was tested last night in fact on both the product as well as the instruction graphics.

The five were:

18, Male, Student - from local university

22, Female, Student - from local college

28 Male, Unemployed - through mutual friend

32 Female, Working Executive - Passer-by

58, Female, Retiree - Passer-by

They gave several comments, notably that the LED wires might snap. However, that questions has already been answered. All of them like the simplicity of the product and saw it as practical. Only the elderly female thought that it would be difficult for her, due to her failing eyesight.

I had intended to put this information in, when i reached 10 respondents, but i guess due to time constrains, i'll leave it as it is for now. Cheers.

Guest The Boogey Man

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents. I like the hands on approach of the project and also the packaging.

Though I think there's a number of negatives, which have been mentioned before though I'll just highlight them.

At first was unsure about the aesthetics, but then you mentioned how its a product for emergencies so can understand the 'raw' look your going for. But then if its for emergencies, is 'DIY' nessecery? If anything I see it as a inconvinience. Surely someones going to be stressed out during a 'reading emergency', maybe their lightbulb bust, or they're lost on a hiking trip and it gets to dark to read the map. Assembiling a small, fiddily light is then just going to piss them off even more.

Hence you'll need to read the instructions before an incident actually happens. The same for the ClipLight. Logically the person would read the instructions at the point of purchase, and if he deems necessary, proceed to bending the wires

You say this, though if is this case, then why would someone choose this over a clip light that can be turned on at a flick of a switch? They are widely avaliable, cheap and probably more reliable.

Also when using it with books its going to have to be readujusted as each page is changed. I can imagine this getting pretty tedious. And being a fiddly product I think it could lead to breakages.

I think you've thought more about how to keep the product 'raw' instead of whats best for the user.

Guest raptor

Hi Boogey Man,

in response to your questions:

1. But then if its for emergencies, is 'DIY' necessary?

-> the reason I have taken this approch of making it a DIY kit, is to ensure preparedness, even before a disaster strikes. It is the same for a first aid box where we need to constantly replenish the supplies, check its expiry dates, exactly the same for a fire extinguisher. The DIY approach here has been taken from a very minimalist stance where the chances it it not working is rare. If we have a torchlight, chances that it will not work will b much much higher. Why so? simply because it has more parts. The switch may not work, the battery contacts may be faulty, the battery cover may be lost in the dark and so on. In this case for the cliplight, as i mentioned earlier in my post, without bending to that desired form, the product still works. this can be illustrated from the photograph below, which appears in my second post a few weeks ago. whether the user decides to be prepared to have the wire bent which would provide more convenience, is up to him. In its raw form, the LED and battery works. To have it bent, adds additional advantage of the clip function.

battery2.gif

2. someone choose this over a clip light that can be turned on at a flick of a switch? They are widely avaliable, cheap and probably more reliable

-> What justification would you provide to say that a torch or other forms of light are cheaper and more reliable? Cheaper? I doubt so! Reliable? I also doubt so. In my earlier paragraph, I justified my reasons that a standard torch is more prone to breakage as compared to the cliplight. In terms of on/off functionality, during an emergency, most people would leave the light on as it is, hence there is little use for a switch which would add additional cost and involve the introduction of a housing.

3. Also when using it with books its going to have to be readujusted as each page is changed.

-> This question was actually answered today in an earlier post. "In an emergency, in my opinion and logic, I understand that an emergency manual would be flipped many times over. When the reader decides on an important page, he would stop the page, and to read more details, he would clip the light to that particular page. The cliplight illuminates the page, as well as acts as a bookmark. Alternatively, users can clip the light to their wristwatch or other thin objects or rebend the wire as necessary."

hope the questions answer your queries, Boogey Man. thanks!

Guest fishodeath

I like the direction this is going. I would like to encourge the use of glow-in the dark paint, or perhaps the led is set to flash every minute (I know this is more bulk and pieces). It just seems to me that if this is a emergency-type product it would end up in some obscure place that combined with its size would make it hard to find in the dark (when its needed).