Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest raptor

Cliplight

Guest raptor

LOG ENTRY: 9 Dec 2006

To help me further concept generation, I have created a quick matrix board of images. The images are captured from the keywords of:

Compact

Clip

LED

Reading

Light

Illumination

Holder

Portable

Unintrusive

Small

matrix.gif

(above) the matrix of images.

We can identify that the smallest products do cost more than the average and so do large products which cost equally expensive. The aim is to have a balance. Not overly miniature with too many features, to keep the product simple and affordable.

New Key words:

Affordable

Compact

Single Feature - just an LED light. No gimmics.

I need to decide what to do from here now.

card4.gif

(above) the cliplight with a sole-wire structure and another with a card cut-out structure

Guest SPUDS

Great idea raptor. When I seen the idea I thought on children reading. It might be academically

frowned upon, but when children read they use their finger to point at the word. Thimble l.e.d could also become a clip l.e.d.

Hope this helps the idea develope

Guest cooperkid

post-5030-1165836752.jpg

Nice to see you’re keeping it simple, however I can't help but see one fundamental flaw that you've overlooked and not posted anything regarding it! How do you turn it off?

You have to remember the health and safety issues regarding the battery, to work as a successful project it has to be secure / lockable. I oversaw a real product for market that needed a similar battery layout and it had to conform to strict health and safety guidelines, remember a child could accidentally swallow a small battery if it just popped out.

You will probably notice that many products with small batteries these days have screw plates fixed in position.

Having looked at the picture again, I saw how it could actually be a nice viable product if when you close the book the battery is somehow disconnected? I’ll Leave this for you to work out!

Look forward to seeing you over come these problems.

Guest raptor

Hi Cooperkid, thanks for your advice. i have thought about issues such as turning it off, as well as having bits and pieces like the battery casing and having the LED diffuser like many other replies have requested. My personal challenge, however, is to really keep things to the bare basic. many a times, we have added this, added that, are they all necessary when what the product meets its requirements and functions as an emergency light. Hence issues such as batteries being swallowed for children are irrelevant. This product wouldnt even be suitable for children as it is small and my initial brief already stated it as a small, compact light for emergencies, such as map reading, identification when lost in the dark etc. Not for children.

Below will show images of what I have been doing over the weekend. Please continue to advice and give your feedback. Thanks once again, Cooperkid and Spuds.

LOG ENTRY: 10 Dec 2006

Today I have tried two variations of the LED Cliplight.

book00.gif

(above) Above shows a variation where the wire wraps around the battery to give it a strong secured wrap to prevent the battery from falling off. However, the next image shows why it wouldnt work.

book0.gif

(above) In the same variation, because the wire is wrapped around the battery, the wire meets contact points on the '+' and '-' surfaces of the battery. The LED will not light up. This concept is flawed.

book1.gif

(above) I came up with the "claw action" where the edges of the battery is held by the wire.

book3.gif

(above) The claw action concept does not work well.

LOG ENTRY: 11 Dec 2006

It is monday and I have been thinking about the ClipLight.

I decide to go back to one of the original concepts that works well.

book000.gif

(above) I will improvise on this concept which i have analysed it to be simple and functions well according to the design specifications.

book4.gif

(above) I create exactly the same as the above, but i tidy up the wire structure by making it more angular and neat with 90degree bents. I came up with the auto-off wire. Brilliant! I will explain it now.

book6.gif

(above) Before I explain on the "Auto-off" feature, this is an image of how it looks with the battery and turned on.

book5.gif

(above) The back of the ClipLight, simple and clear.

book7.gif

(above) The ClipLight when fastened to a book. attached very easily like a standard paper clip. No trouble.

book9.gif

(above) The back of the clip

book8.gif

Now let me explain the "auto-off" feature.

If you noticed, i have extended one part of the wiring- i call this wire A.

(above) Wire B is the other part and in normal circumstances, both wire A and wire B do not touch.

book10.gif

(above) This is a close up and notice that both wires A and B do not touch when the book is opened, as identified by the white arrow.

book11.gif

(above) Now i have closed the book. The weight of the papers have made contact points of wire A and B touch. When both wires touch, the current flow is affected and the LED does not light up. I also understand that power is being drained at this time, continuously when both wires touch.

book12.gif

(above) Another photo showing that when the book is closed, the weight of the pages force both wires to meet and shot-circuit the current flow. LED light is turned off this way.

I acknowledge that this concept does not successfully switch off the light and power from the battery is being used up actually even though the LED is not lighted up. However, my justification from the very beginning is to really really keep things to the minimum. By adding a real switch, I would have spoilt the whole "ZEN" feel of this concept. imagine a switch, or a battery casing. that would require a shell, and when I do that, the whole product would look like any other torchlight in the market today. That is not what I want. I have created this concept, so minimal and functions as it should - a ClipLight. the bare essence of just an LED and a Battery.

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

you seem to be going gangbusters on this. i like your hands on approach and the simplicity of the concept.

my only complaint is that the clip light has been done over and over again. there are numerous iterations and lighting uses all ready out there. the question is, what makes yours beneficial over the existing?

as i said, i like the simplicity and compact nature. i also liked when you were working with a direct aesthetic reference to a paperclip. don't know if you want to explore that any further.

newt

Guest raptor

Hi newt @ MWE,

there're many approaches to my concept here. some examples are:

1. A Zen approach where this cliplight is truly minimalistic and uses what it only needs: an LED and a battery. no unnecessary shell or waste.

2. A DIY (do it yourself) kit where one could purchase a small kit consisting of an LED and battery packet and bend the wire yourself. imagine educating high school graders on this. might be a cool light!

3. The concept could also be seen as a playful kind of reference where the keywords of Light, Paper, Reading are all fused into this produc - the cliplight.

hope it answers to some of the approaches i have taken. thanks once again, newt @ MWE!

Guest cooperkid

Raptor

Brief: We're asking you to design something that helps you dealing with problems reading books. This can be anything from storing books, to reading books by the swimming pool.

Few people with take this challenge and explore concept ideas, some which may or may not work? following your postings you make it very clear that you are taking this project seriously and finding out what actually works and doesn't.

I am slightly alarmed that you being a ‘professional’ designer you quote that this product won’t be for children; you must surely know that you can only influence your chosen market group but you cannot decide who does and doesn't buy the product! These people may well have young children in the home? This is the reason why you cannot ignore the issues of battery safety. Not only is this a challenge to yourself but an understanding of designing for the real world!

If you go back to your Matrix of images you will find they will all have passed strict health and safety test, ignoring this fact and you render your product obsolete from the word go. That’s life!

Sorry if it sounds like negative criticism, I look forward to seeing further development

Cooperkid

Guest raptor

Hi Cooperkid,

thanks for your constructive comments. it made me think and i have to justify my decisions for the concepts that i have generated over the last few weeks.

Firstly, the brief suggests a design that helps in dealing with problems reading books. I have taken the route as an emergency illumination device. a cliplight. And I have added an additional specification to make it highly compact, minimal and still functionable.

The intended scenario is to allow users to have this product compact - kept in a wallet, in the carbox or emergency kit. All is needed is a LED and a battery. I understand your concerns about user-centered design and usability issues, such as one forum member pointed out about the problems switching off the cliplight. and yourself talking about the product being a health hazard. again, this product is used for this very specific scenario - as an emergency illumination device. reading "books" such as your car manual, or your electricity manual, map books, navigation charts etc. the product is small, so that it can be slipped in your car, your camping pouch, or wallet.

As such, there needs to be a balance between safety and usability as well as its primary function. take for instance a pair of scissors or kitchen knives. there're children in the home as well, what most parents do, is to rightfully keep them away from children. we do not design blunt knives. so much the same for the cliplight. To function as a minimalist, small and compact illumination device in emergencies.

Hope this answers the questions.

Guest cooperkid

Spot on Pencil... this is the direction some people seem to be heading...

Raptor

Emergency illumination device....

What is wrong with what's already available on the market? Personally I'd have the credit card light (see below).. it serves its purpose as an emergency illumination device, its highly compactable (slim fit for the wallet), and very functional and it deals with health and safety issues!

What can you offer that these other don't? Besides a lawsuit!! :)

I agree to a point, scissors can be dangerous in the wrong hands however they don't have any small parts, breakable parts and bits that can fall of and be swallowed.

I know from experience, any product for market that involves a battery has to adhere to very strict guidelines. That’s a fact which you cannot argue with!

post-5030-1166095920.jpg

Guest raptor

Hi Pencil, thanks very much for your feedback. I have seen a very similar product before and I had thought of going that route, but it would be really a mainstream product.

I have instead taken the route to create a product that is radical and challenges the question of thinking whats necessary and unnecessary.

Similar to what Cooperkid says, that "What can you offer that these other don't", the idea is simplicity. take a step back. the concept that I have developed over the last few weeks is somewhat radical. but as I have said, it is stripped to its bare-bones, and functions what it should. as a clip and as a light. as to the scenario - for an emergency.

I understand each product has and will have their limitations. but as an aspiring designer, i would prefer to take on a more creative route. rather than coming out with a torchlight, or another heavily shelled product that offers a thousand and one features, my concept here, is just an LED and a battery. have it bent a couple of times, the object of an LED has been morphed into a product.

Yes, batteries and electrical components will and do have strict guidelines. I understand about RoHS and WEEE and all those issues. This competition is about learning from each other, while competing and having fun. I personally have enjoyed the fun aspect. I have personally discovered how a simple object like an LED can be used in other ways without complicating itself. Perhaps the next object i might wish to explore out of my own time might be perhaps a matchstick.

Yes, there're many issues. At the end of the day, I have enjoyed very much sharing and being careful to document every aspect of my development. Hope this is for all to share and learn, as much as i have learnt myself.

Guest raptor

LOG ENTRY: 15 Dec 2006

I have decided to do some illustrations and to focus on the packaging as well as to create information graphics for the cliplight. My first step involves doing a lineart of a step-by-step guide on how to create a cliplight from a standard LED.

outline3-1.jpg

(above) Above shows the initial lineart. It does not seem comprehensible at this stage as i have traced these and will need to add colour. I will work on the colour now.

i'll keep going!

Guest raptor

LOG ENTRY: 15 Dec 2006 03:07hrs

Instruction graphics on how to use the product: I have added the colour scheme and arrows highlighted in red. i try to keep the colours to 3 tones so as to have important markings reserved for red and yellow schemes and the rest in grey tones. These also will save printing colour and more importantly, attract the readers attention for the instructions.

outline3.jpg

(above) instruction graphics for the ClipLight

Guest woodie

So your planning on selling an LED and battery with these instructions?

I quite like that idea, keeping it simple!

will be interesting to see the packaging, i can invisage a vac packed/"survival bag" principal?

Guest raptor

LOG ENTRY: 17 Dec 2006

Having developed the instruction graphics over the past few days, I continue working on the packaging. I have developed the top label where the LED and battery will be packaged in a ziplock bag and sealed with the top label as shown below. Another concept for the packaging will use vacuum packing where the battery and LED are separately sealed for longer shelf life and safety. More on that later. Below shows the top label:

label.jpg

(above) the top label graphics. notice the graphics on the top are inverted as they will be folded. it also includes a punch hole mark.

label1.jpg

(above) illustration of the folded top label.