Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
bowlofnoodle

Rock Style Rendering

I am working on rendering this thing in PS, I am trying to give it a wow effect in terms of rendering touch up or make it more realistic. It's orange plastic with form similar to rocks. Maybe make it more illuminating or translucent?

post-282-1165152092.jpg

I think the rendering looks pretty good, I guess the only thing I can think of to make it pop would be something going on in the background. I'm also not sure what it is, maybe you want to give it some kind of context so it's easier to judge scale.

Guest r.schmidt

bowlofnoodle, you have a good start, but you need to keep pushing. Sometimes to make something look more 'real' you have to be little more sloppy. If you just look at an object, you'll notice that it's not all paths and magnetic lasso'd. Usually, there are lines that are more crisp, and some that fade away/blur. Along with this, the object will be lit by at least one light source, if not more. A quick shadow is a great way to show this on your drawing, along with allowing the shadow to tell a little about the form. Whether it's a subtle curve or a sharp corner.

I tried to do a quick overlay of your render to show you what I'm talking about. Using PS I just added a layer, used a hard brush tool at low opacity and blocked in the shadow. Then, I went back and erased away with a soft eraser on the edges. Then, I went through and dodge/burned areas to accent the light source. Then, I went through with the blur tool at 60% to blur the edges to make it look more like a rounded plastic edge (unless it's metal, corners usually have a slight curve to them). Finally, I just made a selection around the circle green light and stroke'd it light green and added the 'outer glow' effect with a lime green.

It needs more still, but hopefully that's a start!

post-3881-1165175737.jpg