Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest gBevis

Im In

Guest gBevis

Hi all, Im in..

It's a good and challenging brief; to come up with somthing to help improve the book which has stood the test of time for many centuries is a tough cookie...

nice challenge...

post some inspirations and sketches later..

Good luck everyone!!!

Gaz[/font]

Guest gBevis

Some images that cought my interest....

was looking at lighting, travel, protection, storage, technology.

for what i have seen, and found, a lot of products are out there which try to make the reading more comfortable and so on...

so this area has been vastly explored, for many years and obvioulsy not been executed very well considering that poeple still keep coming up with ideas.. and possible solutions.. so be hard to beat in one month!!

because of the changing enviroment, either be it lighting, comfort, distraction etc... i think peope develop thier own habbits to create escapism to get stuck in a book, which adds enjoyment to pulling out a book and reding it..

weather it is for a journey to pass time, or just for the sake of reading.. and I feel it would be a shame to take away the individual habits from a person... as it is (arguably) part of the overal effect/ enjoyment.

hmmm???.....something that does not take away the enjoyment factor of reading, add extra hastle/ effort to reading/ geting a book, not involve so much technology (as a book is simple and is part of its appeal).

dont know what direction im gonna take...

hmmm.... ??

time for sketching.. brain storming

Gaz

Guest gBevis

excuse the messyness..

but here are some quick sketches.. just to clear my mind up ...

the first lot are some cases.. just to protect the book..

first is a leather wallet style...

the seccond is acting like a solid/ hard case... like a dvd case.

the problem of a these for a book would be the different sizes needed.

this lot of ideas were just to test out form/ shape.

the idea was to replace a traditional book style, with the use of new technology.. e-paper..

this would help the environment, by the reduction of paper needed...

pluss.. the bonus is a person would only ever need one unit.. download/ upload the novels from the nnet, or local libary/ friend.. etc... could rate the story / review etc.. pass it on.

however.. this type of thing is already being looked into by e-ink, sony, panasonic etc.. so it would really just be a excersice of form and user interface if continued... nothing original... but the book industry and newspaper industry are certainly heading this way....

at the moment technology allows for only black and white, however, within the next 5 - 10 years the manufatuers are hoping to develop a colour version of this e-paper...

Guest gBevis

(sorry about the crappy sketches again.. i would do some better sketches as the project develop)

i went a little wacky with this idea, again with e-paper (sooo much potential this stuff) and is a follow up from the previous e-book.

the ideas is that when you read a book your hands are never free... its also a play on the words..

reading glasses.. get it??

i know the problem is that you wont be able to see where you are going well, because of the text and the distraction caused.. also the problem of turning pages!!?!?!?!

note.. its a fun concept.. and not to be taken too seriously.

i will do some more sketches and development over the weekend, and upload it middle of next week.

Gaz

Guest design_addict84

lol, reading glasses, yeah i get it. Good start! Gonna post mine soon.

I actually think your reading glasses are the most promising of the ones you've posted. Nice, tongue-in-cheek concept that's actually useful. Focal length is the one problem, and unfortunately it might not be a resolvable one.

Guest Simon_MrMac

Focal length is not the problem, is easily adjusted existing glasses usually set the distance at something like four meters so eye operaates at a comfortable focal length,

There are massive obvious benefits with this approach - laptops dont need screens, can read book whilst sunbathing on the beach using your special sunglasses.

Plug glasses into your mobile phone and read a book.

Add audio to the glasses (easily done) and more possibilities available.

Make it bluetooth - and no need for wires, and as Bluetooth can use true stereo capable of quality audio too.

(This concept has been rattlying around my brain for a long time - looking forward to see what you make of it)

All the best!

Focal length is not the problem, is easily adjusted existing glasses usually set the distance at something like four meters so eye operaates at a comfortable focal length,

There are massive obvious benefits with this approach - laptops dont need screens, can read book whilst sunbathing on the beach using your special sunglasses.

Plug glasses into your mobile phone and read a book.

Add audio to the glasses (easily done) and more possibilities available.

Make it bluetooth - and no need for wires, and as Bluetooth can use true stereo capable of quality audio too.

(This concept has been rattlying around my brain for a long time - looking forward to see what you make of it)

All the best!

But existing glasses are just lenses, they don't have visual information on the surface. I haven't looked at the technical details, but is it possible to distort an image at .5" so that it looks accurate when your eyes are focussed at 4'? I really don't know.

IMO for this project I am interested in actual research. Like when do people read, how do they read, how much do they remember? It'll be interesting to see some reference from text with explanation and reflection on ideas.

I think most of the project approach this by just indentifying basic problems such as noise, clarity, how do you hold the book etc. Most of the product out there already address such problem. If you actually identify the exact root of the problem to stop people reading, be it memory deficiency or information categorisation etc...you can focus on one goal with many concepts. Your concept will be more thorough, creative and strong. And rather identifying hundreds of concepts to solve basic problems.

Guest gBevis

Okay, here are statistics, not greatly useful, cant do too much proper resrech due to time...

and the facts are US based. some are very interesting, and shocking!!

70% of book fair visitors are ready to buy electronic books if they can run them on any computer.

--Open E-Book Forum as reported in Booktech the Magazine, January/February 2003

eBook sales increased 1,442% in January 2003 over January 2002.

--Publishers weekly, March 24, 2003.

One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. Many do not even graduate from high school.

58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.

42% of college graduates never read another book.

80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.

70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

57% of new books are not read to completion.

--Jerrold Jenkins.

Most readers do not get past page 18 in a book they have purchased.

63% of adults report purchasing at least one book during the previous three-month period. (Most were probably exaggerating).

--Bookselling This Week, November 10, 1997.

http://news.bookweb.org/

53% read fiction,

43% nonfiction.

The favorite fiction category is mystery & Suspense, 19%.

--Publishers Weekly, May 12, 1997, page 13.

http://www.PublishersWeekly.com

Of the top fifty books, fiction outsells nonfiction about 60% to 40%. Fiction peaks in July at 70% but nonfiction reaches almost 50% in December.

--USA Today, April 30, 1999.

http://www.USAtoday.com

55% of fiction is bought by women; 45% by men.

--Publishers Weekly, May 12, 1997, page 13.

Thirty percent of Americans surveyed by the Harris Poll say they would rather read a book than do anything else; twenty-one percent said watching TV is their favorite activity. That's the good news. The bad news is that only 13 percent selected "spending time with family.

--Publishers Weekly email Daily, July 9, 1998.

Each day, people in the US spend 4 hours watching TV, 3 hours listening to the radio and 14 minutes reading magazines.

--Veronis, Suhler & Associates investment bankers

http://www.veronissuhler.com

70% of Americans haven't visited a bookstore in five (5) years.

--Michael Levine, June 2002

http://www.LevinPR.com

Customers 55 and older account for more than one-third of all books bought.

--2001 Consumer Research Study on Book Purchasing by the Book Industry Study Group,

http://www.bisg.org

People reduced their time reading between 1996 and 2001 to 2.1 hours/month.

2001: per capita spending on books per month was $7.18.

--Publishers Weekly, May 26, 2003

Only 32% of the U.S. population has ever been in a bookstore.

--David Godine, Publisher.

Guest gBevis
IMO for this project I am interested in actual research. Like when do people read, how do they read, how much do they remember? It'll be interesting to see some reference from text with explanation and reflection on ideas.

I think most of the project approach this by just indentifying basic problems such as noise, clarity, how do you hold the book etc. Most of the product out there already address such problem. If you actually identify the exact root of the problem to stop people reading, be it memory deficiency or information categorisation etc...you can focus on one goal with many concepts. Your concept will be more thorough, creative and strong. And rather identifying hundreds of concepts to solve basic problems.

I agree,

Regarding the "actual research" as some people have posted at the start time for this project is an issue, one month when working on your own, and no back up data or researchers takes out a lot of design time... so research for such a thing is hard and would mainly go down to our own experiences and observations...

It is challenging (not impossible) to develop something which has stood the test of time... your right, many products have been produced which help with comfort, light, etc.. however i feel it would be (sorry to say) the obvious route to take...

For this i have decided to do something a little flashy/ conceptual/ unusual just to break the barrier, preconceptions of reading / books.

Sometimes radical thinking (especially at the start of a project) can help develop the simplist solutions... you need to go way forward -technology wise- for the concept to be steped back a little; compramise.. otherwise there is no forward progression / evolution in the technology and products.. we would all still be carving in stone.. lol..

The use of e-paper (Im very much awareof its expesne at the mo), but it is so variable, and the possibilities are great!!: in colour, weight, size, data storage, lanuage etc.. in reading it would also help people hard of sight, increase font size, colour, light (illumination in dark) etc.. poeple with dyslexia would find it easier to read too... beause of its possibilites.... also.. less trees being chopped down!....

for this brief I do not wish to design something for cost effectiveness (technology gets cheaper every year).. but to help change minds, show other ways forward, and help the environment if possible.

hmmm.. however, I have some other concepts which i will post up tomorrow night, based around the travel and protection of books, also a concept of book hireing for comuters on the tube.

cheers,

Gary

................................................................................

okay.. here is a doodle i did on one concept...

I must admit.. its a development of somthing I had inmind for the case concept, but i was inspired by Raptor for the simplicity .. no dont mind admiting it... its a slightly different concept...

a light isnt somthing i wanted to do on its own.. think im onto something???

again its crappy sketching.. but it gets the general idea out...

the concept is for a clip a strip... mostly a laminate which has LED's imbeded.. this strip attaches to a slimline battery pack with at least two coin cell batteries.

it folds over the pages like a bookmark... so when its getting a bit dim.. you flick the switch and the 3 or more LED's light up.

the laminate would be an opaque colour to help difuse the glow of the light.. for a nicer spread of light and more comfortable reading conditions...

im gonna do some better more details sketches of this..

Gary.

PROBLEM!!!

I have three ideas...

the reading glasses.. very fun to do i think.. wacky, and different approach to reading books ..but a lot of ergonomics and work to do in 2 weeks..

a book vending machine at tube stations... (rent or buy books.. (using same technology in libaries) (people dont always have time to go to libaries).. nice concept, original... but not done no work on it so far.. and only 2 weeks or so left?

or the lite mark concept.. which is simple for the time involved, and more realistic..

not too sure which would be good to spend the time on...??

Gary.

................................................................................

Guest gBevis

hiya..

just an bit better sketch, to show form... i forgot to do a side view.. but i think you can see the thiness intended for this item...

a standard bookmark which projects light...

no clip needed because the book would hold it in place, and light strip caneasily be lifted out to turn page..

Guest design_addict84

Doing well, as always! Still think the reading glasses is the winner. WHAT! only 2weeks left, i'd better pull my finger out! The lite-mark would sell-appeal to everyone, cheap to manufacture. Keep at it mate!

Guest gBevis

cheers Design addict84,

Im gonna stick to the glasses and the light mark,

we see where it goes..

I have a funny feeling that the light mark would be the overal better product, however, as you say the glasses seem like more fun...

hope your concepts are coming along well.

gBevis

Guest gBevis

hey guys!!

soz about the lack of work.. been busy.. but its christmas time.. and my boxing days are always a bit boring, so perfect opportunity to catch up on some solid works modelling of the lite makr.

so far it includes the base, switch and circuit (very simple and crude to keep price and manufacturing down) cover, and the light strip.

needs more work to it..

these are all to scale etc etc..

the actual battery pack is 4mm thick, with the light strip being 2mm in thicknes.

would do a technical board towards the end of the competition..

note:

i need to add the LEDs to the light strip... etc etc.. think i will do these in Rhino, as its quicker, for just a visual demonstration compare to sw (personal preference)

its a screw in fixing as to keep tooling down... therefore keeping price down.. (dam it.. 4got to modle those!!)

the aim is to try and keep as low cost as possible.

snap fixings would bring up the tooling cost, thereofre making the cost of the product higher thanwhat a person would probably wish to pay.