Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Wicked Wood

Reading Booth

Guest Wicked Wood

Hi this will be my first entry into one of your superb design challenges.

I was musing on how I could effect and control the reading in the best way, as an avid reader myself I always find that it is the environment that is the biggest disruption:

Outside sounds

Lack and abundance of sun light

Comfortable position to read in, e.i. you don’t sustain a numb arm or aching back

The solution I came up with was a complete reading booth.

Sort of like a sensory depravation chamber.

I might not complete this design challenge as I have some exams and a lot of coursework due in very soon. I hope I can participate.

post-7084-1165004226.jpg

post-7084-1165004336.jpg

The tray that you can see above the seat for reading the image of the book's pages to be seen on the wide screen monitor. As well as acting as a desk/tray for traditional reader to rest the books on.

I'm only sketching so don’t judge too harshly, I'm trying not to spend more that 5 minutes on each sketch.

post-7084-1165004987.jpg

A different idea along the same lines. A pod that could be placed on any wall. The glass could tint upon command. E-Book coud be read directly off a screen. Most lkely LEP (Light Emitting Plastic/Polymer).

Guest Wicked Wood

I came up with a different idea, it's more practical than the booth but it's less flashy. By that I mean it won’t make a big impact in a design challenge, I’ll tell you the idea so that I can get some feedback on which direction to go in.

Idea.

As people age it becomes harder to read, you my think this is because their eyesight is degenerating, and you’d be right, but it is not down to the long or short sightedness of a person, it is often the case that the reason someone is having difficulty in reading is that they cannot get enough light into their eyes from the page.

At the moment this is combated by shining a light only to page and bouncing the light back into the eyes.

I think that a book written onto a page that is backlit from the actual page would help tremendously. In the previous post I spoke of LEPs this would allow for the page to be thin enough while proving the strong light source.

Also, as mentioned in COLORpickers post, dyslexics use a coloured filter to read through, so what if the page changes colour and contrast to suite your reading needs.

I also had the idea of reading the position and angle of the eye relative to the page in order to work out the area to be lit, but I have forgotten the name of the use of lasers to do this.

So any feedback on which idea you like best would be great or which one you think is most likely to get me the prises. As well as the name of the eye-angle-reader-lazery-thingy, it would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

Guest Serus

I like your sketching style, what program are you using, sketchbook? or painter?

I think for lettering you should use a sans serif font, like Ariel it makes the reading easier.

lets see some more sketches

Guest newt @ MWE

hey

i like your research, but i think you need to give a little more thought to the solution. by this i mean, light emitting polymers are expensive. a single 300pg book would cost you about $5000.00 and i am not exagerating. i have been doing some work with this technology (grudgingly) and it is only feasible in a permanent reusable scenario. with this said, the idea is no more practical than the reading booth.

however, maybe some sort of dock or light table. reinvent the book itself (binding holds pages) and print on an opaque or translucent matierial so that it can be laid on the light table or dock or what ever and be backlit. pgs would be one sided i guess, but it is deffinetely more feasible. or maybe a book network on a backlit PDA? they may allready have that...not sure.

anyways, this is a conceptual comp and feasibilty may not win, a great idea just may pull it off. so giv er hell and good luck.

newt

Guest Wicked Wood

One of my friends has Photoshop (one of my rich friends) so I'm round at his house all the time, in writing this I can see how weird that is. We talk about what I’m doing, I get his opinion, but I take my files home and work on them in Macromedia Fireworks (usually just for colouring) like I said before I tried not to take more than 5 mins so I coloured the above at my friends in Photoshop.

As for the cost of LEP (of which I was partly aware) I guess it could be implemented as an e-book then it would only take a single page, but that really wasn’t what I was going for. I like the idea of backlighting the page. Maybe you could use a single sheet of LEP placed under the page you are reading (sounds like a lot of hard work to me) then still use the Laser thingy (the name of which I am still unaware) to pin-point the paragraph being read and light accordingly.

That or my TMG (target market group) could be incredibly wealthy people who find it hard to read.

I would also like to say what a great forum this is. Both in the technical set up and the participants. I guess I should thank Waikit Chung and Renze Rispens for the forum and all of you guys out there for being so helpful.

I’ll probably go with the reading booth then. Big and flashy is the way to go!