Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest phildexter

Which Markers Would You Recommend?

Guest phildexter

Hi everyone! I'm new here, and also new to using markers. I'm a skilled airbrush artist and have been drawing all my life. I have bought some Tria Markers (grey set, as I'm colourblind).....But just wanted to know what other brands are out there that you can recommend for rendering? I'm at that stage where I'm not sure which brands are the good ones and which are the worst :)

Cheers!

Phil Dexter

Guest A-train

I dont really agree on that comment. It all depends. I am a huge fan of Tria. I am working with Tria and Copic. have a set of prisma color and some AD markers. Here is the difference

Tria is pantone based so it should give you a good color realistic feel. also, you have refils (need them a lot) They have a dry time of about 20 sec so you have to work fast. they dry out fast and use a lot of ink

Copic has really nice warm and cold grays. those are the only one I use for basic drawings. they have a good tip feel (better then tria) and have refills of everything. you can by nice sets of them on line (ebay is the cheappest or animebooks) also you can hook them on an airbrush system if you wanna do some fancy @#$@#$. they dont dry out as fast as Tria so you can blend better.

Prisma color are by far the cheapest. the have the worst tip feel of the hole bunch. they dont have a refil and dry out very fast. the gray colors look a bit to purple for me. and if you go over pen or pencil lines, the color is picked up by the marker tip and if smudges more then the others.

AD markers are the most blendable ones. you will get the best smooth surface ever but in my opinion, they bleed way too much. you can even dripp them over your paper if you shake them over you paper. the colors on AD markers dont look anything like the color on the cap of it. you might go for light purple cap and the marker color is dark burgondy red. very stupid.

SO here you go. go to a store where they have them all and try them out. so you will have a feel of what they can do.

Good luck

A.

Guest phildexter

Thanks for the info guys! think I'll stick with the tria markers for now.

Phil