Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest amt27

Intro

Guest amt27

Hi everyone,

This is a forum for Sussex Product Design students past / present / future to chat about stuff.

Thanks

Adam (2nd year 2006/07)

Guest Minka

Hello everyone, my name is David Myers, I am in my second year of a Mechanical engineering degree at the university of Toronto. I am loosing enthusiasm for my degree becasue I feel like I am doing theory in a vacuum and I do nothing but math and write reports about things I don't really understand and am not really required to understand within the confines of my degree. I am seriously considering starting the product design degree at sussex next year, it is one of the few things of late that has gotten me really excited and my univeristy only offers a product design specialization for mechanical engineers in my fourth year. I am trying to weigh the merit of this path and most of the review sites tend to focus more on the extra curricular stuff which is nice but not really my primary concern.

I would greatly appreciate any first hand insight about the degree from those of you still in it and those that have passed. What did you like and dislike, what was dramatically different from what you expected, what were you unprepared for, what made you cringe and pull clumps of hair out, what made you laugh and cry and really do you think it was worth the toil and do you think a reasonably creativley talented 19 year old who did art, maths and physics and has been trudging through an orthodox engineering degree could handle it?

Spare no disparaging detail because at this point I am well aware of how hard and strangely satisfying an engineering degree can be and I am in the middle of a severe existential crisis. I will value as much information as possible for my final decision.

Thank you very much to all of you,

David Myers