Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest designer515

www.jonathancsmith.com

Guest designer515

My response was 2B - meaning too bad.

A lot of people will not like the things you do, while other will compliment it.

If you want to comment on someones work, do it constructively. A backhanded approach will get you fired!

And makes you sound like an impotent jerk.

Wish I had kept up with this forum, things have moved along nicely here.

JCS

Guest tom_j_owen

ummm, to be honest the sound irritates me too....

havent you posted your site here for crit???

you should take peoples comments constructively - or you'll sound like an arrogant designer who is filled with his own self importance.

Guest designer515

And another valuable review falls to the floor. Best of luck to you, I ll be sure to make that change based upon his "crit"

Renzsu and JLdesign, thanks for your comments. I appreciate it.

And they didn't have to be positive for me to appreciate or listen to them, but they weren't shouts in a crowded room either.

I know that, based upon professional experience, that reviews and critiques are valuable.

And their value is increased when details are given and suggestions are made to indicate that some thought has been given to the review.

What doesn't fly is when, like a shout from a crowd of people is heard and no other information is given, Its unsubstantiated by reason.

I am confident in that the sound is too loud, but that is also affected by the volume of your speakers.

A comment like, that sound irritates me... doesn't garner any other response from me that too bad.

Once again I am sure I will be corrected.

Perhaps

Guest JOYRIDE

Well I suppose I will put in my two cents...The sound irritated me as well. I do understand that the volume can be user controlled by the speakers, however the first time it went off it surprised me. Also, if I had been listening to music quietly in the background, I would not want to turn it off just because I didnt want to hear the noise on the web page. It is a very unpleasant sound, mainly because it is clipped and not natural. If you had a sound that was tuned to C (proved to be a pleasant sound), it would not bother me as much. Also, the fact that it is derived from a saw-tooth (maybe square) wave adds to the problems.

I think the main question to ask is, why have the sound? What does it add? you already have rollovers visually, is it necessary to have them audible?

The work is showing well though. The page is easy to navigate without and problems. The font is an interesting choice, and I dont know if I would have gone the same route. To me it gets a little squished together. However, that is just a personal preference.

i agree with joyride when it comes to the sound . . . you have nothing to lose from turning it off, but its clear that leaving it on will turn at least some people off of your site

overall i like the layout and navigation your site, its very clean and straight forward, but as mentioned before you should be open to both positive and negative criticism even if you don't agree

Guest designer515

Thanks for the review guys. I appreciate the stance you took in your review.

I am on my way to making some changes and the sound will be one of them.

JCS

Guest CAB

i really like the site for how simple it is. it's nice that you don't have to go page to page to find your work and that it's all very easy to look at very quickly. i was really liking your doodles for projects but some projects it seemed like they were just one little sketch, so maybe have a few smaller ones around it just so the page doesn't look so empty. also maybe make the viewer bigger so that way your images could be a bit larger and easier to see details. other then that i really liked the way you presented your work. nice clean and easy to view all of it with very little affect. good work man hopefully this helped.

Guest designer515

CAB,

Thanks for the review. I appreciate it. And every bit helps.

I completely agree that the size of the images, as they are presented, are too small.

I am going to begin on a new portfolio, using a similar layout in the near future.

As for the sketches, I agree again. I lost a few boxes during my move from college.

And the sketches were but a few of the items I lost. So I will probably do some more

exploration to round things out a bit.

Thanks again.

JCS