Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest yeddeync

How would you Define Industrial Design?

Guest tunia26

That has to have some marketing and manufacturing in, but doesn't have to be boring. It also should be clear and practical. I was looking for a few ex in the net and foud sth amazing industrial shop designs This is understanding of communication between a product and customer.

Guest paresh bhagat

Industrial design shows our imaginary concept & creativity through drawing & preparing for it by using the best suitable method.

Guest sanjeev_kumar_s_r
Industrial design for me is a blend of creating a product which can be used and manufactured on a large scale for use by all who have access to it.

I feel an industrial designer designs for industrial applications, whereas a product designer designs for consumer. I am working on a robotic arm design project, where the "industrial designer" is only called in to clothe and hide all the hardware that make it work.

Personally I feel there is just a "designer": one who sees a problem and can bind together different perspectives, disciplines and technologies to create a solution that provides a good user experience.

Guest retrospec
a little fun + under paid + over worked = Industrial Design

sounds like an engineer to me, except the fun part, just kidding : )

Guest Buff
Industrial design is quite simply the intersection of marketing and manufacturing. The industrial designer straddles the imperitives of desire and practicality. A good designers understands the bottom line of industry and the aspiration of human existance, the do-able and the desirable, the need and the want. A good designer can speak to engineers and communicate with customers. the designer is the ultimate builder of bridges, the consumate facilitator of profit and trancendence. To design is human....

WOW

That's the best and most succinct explanation I have ever read.... I'm so going to plagiarise that :) (kidding)

Guest yathindra

Carefully observed. It's a meditation while putting the jigsaw puzzle through: ideas, aesthetics, value, functionality, material, process, trend etc.

You hurry up you may mess!

Do it with love and cool mind you get almost every thing to work in its simplest and effective form.

DESIGN IS TO SIMPLIFY THINGS

Guest domo

In the very beginning and two or three steps more far, industrial design....

is a nocturne and a batmanism life, is a word that inspire virtual and screen consuming time, new muscles exercises cutting cardboard and other materials, and some of the deadly ambient of toxic resin gases and foam or wood dust and birutes, having all of this plus the creative phase, industrial design is the synthesis of

design+function+human

Guest Dugan
design+function+human

I'd argue that you can't have design minus human. The desire to create things that give meaning to our lives, and define our own environment, is a large part of what makes us human.

I've enjoyed reading all these responses. :)

Since you specifically asked about "industrial design", I'd probably define it as aesthetic oriented area of product design that aims to create the form that follows the function of a product, and creates an emotional connection with the potential user.

Guest Callum Nash
I think, the design , simply, is the armonic joint between art and capitalism.

I think this is true for a large part of modern design, do you think then that this is what seperates industrial design from other human design?

Guest Callum Nash
Carefully observed. It's a meditation while putting the jigsaw puzzle through: ideas, aesthetics, value, functionality, material, process, trend etc.

You hurry up you may mess!

Do it with love and cool mind you get almost every thing to work in its simplest and effective form.

DESIGN IS TO SIMPLIFY THINGS

True, i think designers should be banned from letting technology push their products, the best pieces of design are the most simple