Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest yeddeync

How would you Define Industrial Design?

Guest rritesh

Industrial Design is the practice of creation, ideation,marketing, invention and innovation.(at least 4 out of 5 must be satisfied) We try to create products that will find value in peoples lives, somehow making it better, or at least changing it. By doing so we also make a lot of people rich!

Industrial designers are by, researchers, artists, computer modelers, usability engineers, ergonomists, interior designers, marketers, and believe they can make a difference and make a lot of money.

Industrial Design is a new way for companies to sell their product, so that they may retain customers, attract new customers and also change or re-emphasize a brand.

In high end Industrial Design, a product is more about the experience, and feelings that a person derives from a product. It goes beyond its physical form and becomes a part of a persons life, or extreme desire, making it more than just a product.

Guest retrokitsch

well I am not designer, but i think the first goal of industrial design is to sold more and more, you know the song of pink floyd: "money.." lol

I agree with rritesh

Guest cha

Hey everybody. This is my first post as a registered member on productdesignforums.

On the topic of defining Industrial design, I'd like to post something I read about 'Form Follows Function'.

Ask your grandpa for the razor he used as a teenager. Take a razor that you use today. Look at them both. They both perform the same function, but they differ in form.

gill13.jpg

3-Razor.JPG

Well, yeah, the influence of product designers is visible in all of those objects, though sometimes the simplicity of some old objects could be a great example for modern day designers.

Guest cha
Your point being? 

'Form Follows Function' is an important concept in defining Industrial Design.

Guest Malco

I think that an Industrial designer is the link between the Art and the Engineering of a product, who sees the product from start to finish.

Your point being? 

'Form Follows Function' is an important concept in defining Industrial Design.

I also think it's a case of 'consumer follows pretty' :lol:

Guest Mark's

dose form follow function

or

dose function follow form

????????????????????????

Guest cprodesign

INDUSTRIAL DESIGN IS ONE OF THE HUMAN ACTIVITIES WHICH MEANS NOTHING BUT EVERYTHING

Guest viper5191

In my opinion Form should equall function. Everyone has a different opinion, tho.

Original Idea>>Bauhaus: Form follows function

Industrial design is creative problem solving.

Guest ulisse

Industrial design? the half-way between art and technic. His aim? Change the world object by object

Guest mitchell1987

Industrial Design is about giving products value, and not just monetary value.

Victor Papanek (I think, feel free to correct me) said that Industrial Design was a useless profession, and Industrial designers created need where there wasn't any before. That might have been true when it was written, and may still be be true to a minor extent for certain companies. But with the maturing of the profession the true niche opportunity to have someone that understands form, materials, ergonomics, styling, manufacture, and time management is becoming fully utilised. Not just to create products for false needs, but to actually make meaning and things of value. Many new Industrial Designers have a strong conscience about their products fulfilling a genuine need, be that the user, the environment, or society. And the profession of industrial design is perfectly placed to facilitate that, may it continue to grow and evolve.