Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest yeddeync

How would you Define Industrial Design?

Guest feesta

To lay people I often refer to the first industrial designers were designing objects for industrial production.

Now I feel it is more like solving problems with the user as a major stakeholder (compared to engineers who often ignore the human side of things. I'm not trying to be a troll, I know many engineers who have to make an effort beyond what their employer or educators demand to address human needs.)

Guest littlecog

Industrial design is quite simply the intersection of marketing and manufacturing. The industrial designer straddles the imperitives of desire and practicality. A good designers understands the bottom line of industry and the aspiration of human existance, the do-able and the desirable, the need and the want. A good designer can speak to engineers and communicate with customers. the designer is the ultimate builder of bridges, the consumate facilitator of profit and trancendence. To design is human....

Well said, indeed, I like to see the designer a bit as a spider in a big web of marketeers, engineers, consumers, clients, etc., trying to keep all the strings in sync.

Okay, so it really depends on where in the industry you're working, that's really what makes it hard to explain the nature of being an 'industrial designer'.. It holds various truths for various people.

Guest yeddeync

I see an industrial designer as a person who is clever, and really understands what people want. (helpful if he/she is friendly to work with as well) Maybe modern day design also needs someone who can create products that evoke emotion and a person that has a good sense for styling. very interesting replies everyone, thanks.

Guest whitcombe

Industrial design is all about compromise and that’s the real challenge.

Guest El Ente

An industrial designer is a person who knows how to work with concepts and how to make those concepts real thanks to a complete project. The word industrial makes reference to mass production systems such as metal foundry, polymer injection etc etc... so an ID should be aware and know that production techniques.

Guest Cubed

I had to write a definition for Industrial Design in college.

Here is what I came up with.

Industrial Design is the creative art of practical design. It is a three-dimensional solution for products, processes, and services. Industrial Design focuses on structural, functional, visual, organizational, expressive, and economical systems for both the user and producer.

The intellectual profession of Industrial Design takes a technological approach to design by a person skilled in art. Industrial Design can involve, theory, products, services, graphics, interiors, and architecture.

Guest The duke

Industrial design for me is a blend of creating a product which can be used and manufactured on a large scale for use by all who have access to it.