How Cheap Is To Live Around West London?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_shriek_*

Guest_shriek_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 October 2006 - 09:39 PM

Hi,

I just finished my Molecular and Cell Biology degree and I looking for a place to start my new life as a... student of design!

I live in Portugal but after my training in Lund, Sweden (and meeting with people from all over the world) I decided that I would be better inspired if I would study and live outside of Portugal for a while. Since English is the only language I master (besides my mother language) I'm looking for UK courses.

I read a lot of comments on Brunel from all over the web... they are mainly positive feedbacks, so I looking at Brunel as a good choice for me specially because your Product Design course is more technical (the BSc) and so with my science background I might have a bit to contribute.

Now, I wanted to ask how cheap is to live around there... around the university... Brunel Univ have a living cost estimate of around 700 GBP... I find it a bit expensive specially because they don't seem to combine with tuition fees. Would you confirm these values?

Also, I'm planning to take the sandwich course. Do we have to seek for a place to work, ourselves? or will the univ find it for us? Will I be able to propose a place? Is it easy for a foreigner to find a part-time job to help with expenses?

Hope to hear from you soon.

regards

#2 Guest_R.B_*

Guest_R.B_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

The placement, you don't have to take it I don't think, maybe you are these days, but you have to find it yourself, though they do have a liason person who usually has a lot of places given to him to fill, and they do help out quite a lot.

As for jobs, your from the EU, so it shouldn't be hard, though to be honest, doing any of the design courses makes it very hard to have a part time job, but it is do-able, there's lots of jobs on campus and then a bit out, easier if you have a car or are with friends with someone with a car, though uxbridge, last time I was there, was a bit of a mare to find parking, though they could have improved it since then.

As for the cost of living, £700 ain't to bad, but I think you'll be spending more. When I got my student loans, I got the full London allowance when I was at Runnymede campus, so I shouldn't have got it, but used Uxbridge address, anyway, so that was around £3K....didn't have any change at the end of the year, and I didn't go out all that often, it went on campus accommodation rent, groceries, petrol and materials for courses....which you will spend a lot of money on, from paper, printer ink to workshop materials.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store