Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Aqua98

About Product Sketch

Guest Aqua98

Hi everyone, I think this is a very good website for product design.... its wonderful.

I have some questions, hope somebody can help me to solve.

I'm a product design student, and I feel difficulties when I sketch a product. Let me

explain it further, for example, after I freedomly draw a form or shape, it looks like

a product or a thing. However, I can't draw different angles, such as side view, bad

view and top view. My teacher always blame me can't draw well as not in a completely

way. Hope someone tell me what should I do.

Thank you so much.

Here is one of my sketch.

Please comment on it. Hope someone teach me how to draw different angles.

116170556127093.jpg.jpg

Guest RobMay

Try uploading some examples of your sketch work, it'll give us a better insight into your problem.

Guest RobMay

you should try producing less "finished" looking sketches. Use less colour - only use colour to highlight or shade, don't colour in. And try being a bit more loose in ur sketching style.

Do you use any 3D design packages? These can help in understanding how a design will look from different angles.

Also, if you want to improve keep practising - if it doesn't look right then draw it again until you feel it does look right.

Check out the tutorials on this site, i'm sure there will be something that will help. If you see a style you like try to do similar but don't worry if it isn't exactly how you want it to be straight away - persevere!

Guest rsmiguel

Hi.

This sketch looks extremely primitive.

You should try first to sketch understanding the basic form and geometry of your product in order to get the right proportion and perspective. Forgett about putting color right now only use your pencil to sketch some basic highlights and shadows

Work more developing your key lines and sections correctly (Make your secctions every 100mm according to your proportions) and do at least one ortographic view (Top, Side, front, etc) and then do a complete study in different views but alwyas mantaing the true geometry you came up in the initial ortographic drawing.

This will be difficult at the beginign but once you master it your products will come out right.

Good luck

I would spend a lot of time looking at other peoples sketches, as well as presentation layouts to see what makes them good.

Stick to getting good at black and white before you start dipping into color.

Also I'd suggest picking up the Design Sketching book from this forum. It's absolutely essential for anyone learning to draw IMO.

Guest Tall Jewish Guy

I read somewhere on this forum or core77 that to get good at something takes 2-3 years of consistent work and improvement, and thats JUST Good. I've only been sketching for 4 months at school and obviously that shows in my sketches, but I can tell you my improvement has obviously been phenomenal since i started, enough that I can actually show my sketch to others.

You probably just haven't been exposed to sketching enough, or if you have you haven't been doing enough of it, both the more motivation to sketch sketch sketch. Try concentrate on perspective sketching as only then will you get a feel of perspective (which is the same as sketching from different angles). If your design school has foam modelling (well ofcourse it does, if it doesn't transfer immediately) than make foam models. If you can't communicate your ideas on paper as well as you hope, then you'll have trouble developing those ideas without getting bogged down with sketching. Therefore a foam model allows you to be able to develop your ideas in 3 dimensions without becoming bogged down with sketching.

When I was in 9th grade, I took a drafting class and learned the basics of Isometric drawing.

Here is an example:

http://www.foothillsgraphics.com/ortho.htm.

I started to get into toy design and this is essential if you want to convey what the toy will look like.

Start off drawing simple objects like a cell phone or kids toys. All things are made up of circular or angled shapes. Learing to draw a square at different angles is a good start. Add protrusions to the basic square and make it more complex. This will help you visualize 3-D objects.

Hope this helps.

You can get good at sketching in less than a year if you just do it constantly. I didn't realistically start drawing until around 6 months ago. I had drawn other stuff in the past but it was all basic forms and pretty terrible work.

It takes time practice and patience to explore new medias and get good at them. The key is to starting simple and gradually improving. I realized that the hard way when I started trying to marker render cars and realizing I couldn't even marker render a cube.

Foam models are an essential portion for most product design that is seperate from sketching. Foam helps to really tightly define dimensions and test your product in the real world, whereas your sketching loosely defines the initial forms and styling elements.

Guest Aqua98

Thank you very much, all friends.... I will try my best to improve it.

All of you gave me a very good comments on it.