Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BloodRabbit

Tiny Phone

Guest BloodRabbit

Its not made for a ny brand, not yet anyway.

Could you give me a link to the forum so I can check it out?

Guest LessIsMore

I joined the forum just after seeing this thread and how useless so much of the criticism is. Obviously it's a very intelligent design and the sort of mind that develops an idea like this can fix or clarify the simple problems that have been pointed out (glass might cut ya, fold out display may interfere with already limited volume required for electronics, LCD doesn't show letters, might accidentally push wrong button).

I'd love a phone like this. I don't need a camera on a phone, and don't use text messaging. I don't need all that mostly useless fluff. It might be neat having the outer surface rubberized/silicon coating for extra durability.

Regarding the problems, my take on solutions:

sharp LCD glass: could have thin, clear silicone covering

Fold-out display wasting volume: Make the display even shorter and decrease font by 1/2, which could allow for a 2nd row of text (top row could be names, bottom #).

Might accidentally push wrong button: I thought it was pretty obvious from the beginning how the buttons worked.

Someone said the ergonomics are "all over the place"... it would actually require less finger movement to dial any number, especially a number like 312-4564. Well, as I think about it now, dialing the lower numbers might be a problem if holding it in the right hand like usual... I think the buttons could be a little smaller which would allow them to be up further. What about having the buttons angled 45 degrees, but still on top of one another, (looking more like a candy cane than tube sock stripes). I did a rough paintbrush drawing:

post-10912-1173783849.png

Guest ideacreator

This phone suits me very much. Sometimes I get so put off with the unwanted 'features' on my Nokia 6630. I have also made some innovative products which you can see @ ideawicket.com

Guest BloodRabbit

LessIsMore:

I really like the idea of having the buttons angeled, it might even add to the design.

2 lines of information on the display, sertainly it could be done(the phone was made while I was pissed off so i ripped everyting other than calling capabilities out not thinking how practical it could be to see who is calling, not just their number).

(I know these crits arent yours, but I want to clearify them)

And again glass doesn't have to be sharpe.

About wasting internal space whit the display, to tell you the truth I would have made it even smaller if I colud have come up whit a usable button interface, I really don't see this as a problem since the features are so limited on this phone and therefore the electronics and battery needs less space.

Coplecated button system, its no more complecated than the normal button interface, just diffrent(don't pick on the kid thats diffrent :)).

Thank you for thinking trough the design.

ideacreator:

Good that you like it.

Feel free to PM me some links to you own designs.

Guest tiro

I really like this phone. I also think that the lower buttons would be hard to reach. If LessIsMore hadn´t already said it I would mention it now. And I really like the idea of angled buttons.

But I think that SMS is very important for a mobile phone.

An OLED-Display would be also very interesting, i think.

But this would make the phone complicated again.

If you want to implement the SMS-feature you could probably use the already mentioned shift-button to switch the buttons between numbers and letters.

With an SMS-feature and a low price (and with the anled buttons), I would really want to buy such a thing.

Guest Rhino666

Hello!

I joined the forum because of this phone concept. Crazy man, just gonna get one of these for sure - when and if it rolls in. Anyway, the original design is neat, but there is more room for the glass display. Here in Hungary, we have 11-digit cell numbers and they wouldn't fit. If you would use a bigger glass and "11 straw" LCD (like this), even names (and SMS?) could be written on the screen. Neet and retro.

Anyways, I couldn't figure out how could one start a call with this gadget. Okay, dial the number, good. Now what?? There is no dial button. And how to pick up, cancel or end a phone call?!

Oh and BTW, the phone needs an antenna, two chips, a mic, a speaker, a battery, place for SIM card and a few wires for the buttons, screen and stuff. Don't anyone tell me these stuff won't fit in. DUH. It would last weeks to drain a 200mAh battery even. You know, huge color LED display would eat it up nice, but with a simple screen like this, it doesn't need a huge pack. Oh, and two three-color leds should do the trick of showing network and battery status (green = good, orange = medium, red = dud). Maybe another one for "hey dude, somebody called you and you didn't pick up" signal. If you even need that instead of a sound alert.

BBL m8...

Edit: Oh, I forgot to warn you that you will need a "backlight" of some sort for the glass display if you want to use it in the dark.