Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BloodRabbit

Tiny Phone

Guest BloodRabbit

Sorry that I've been hostil towards crits, the reason for this is that some of the problems people mentioned wasn't even close to beeing a design flaw(atleast not for me), just look at the last crit "I think you can cut a neck with this phone, you must cover that glass a little", it can't have been thought true before posted.

It may even be that I didn't even consider that anyone could see the electronic part as a problem.

Ofcourse none of this excuses my behavior, so I'm sorry.

I will ask that people think alittle before posting a crit.

Guest noShame

Think it looks good. Not quite sure with the turning button system, it may take a lot of place inside, with the mechanics needed to control the buttons (reset to center position etc). Maybe 12 normal small buttons would work better and leave more room inside for the electronic needed to make this thing work?

Alternatively you could have 6 buttons and a "shift" button. So every button would have 2 functions one with shift and one without. Eg. if you want to type 1 you just press the first button, but for two you hold the shift button and press the first button and you get "2". But the shift button would have to be placed on a good spot to make it easy to use with one hand.

Alt2: You could get rid of all the buttons and use a voice activated system like on some of the motorolas. Then you just press and hold 1 button and say the number you want to call. That way you could have a phonebook by saving a number with a name, so next time if you want to call "steve" you just hold the speak button and say his name.

good luck with your concept!

Guest ajampaniki

First of all, great phone, really love the design.

Second, I would like to comment on the little discussion here. I have to say, I agree with both Turbofrog and BloodRabbits points. Sometimes a designer only wants to express a certain form or a feeling with the design of a product, and sometimes a design will have to be explored a bit more because it has to be a more realistic product. So in some times it is necesary for a design to be able to be produced, and sometimes it doesnt, like this one (right).

Guest BloodRabbit

TechEBlog has picked up the story aswell... cool

TechEBlog

NoShame:

The way ive put it together in my head, this button design takes up less room inside, than 12 separate buttons would.

superbad:

Thanks, great isn't it.

ajampaniki:

Yes this was more an exploration of an idea than a finished produckt, but I don't usually design stuff that could never be made.

sosinmuc:

I don't see the screen as a problm that way, it would only be on the side of your head above your ear.. but ofcourse it could go another 90 deg.(atleast there arent any design issues whit that).

I LOVE THIS PHONE SO FAR. My favorite phone ever was a panasonic allure, weighing only 2.98 ounces, and no extra bullshit. It didn't have games, calendars, etc, it just stored phone numbers, made calls, had great reception, a speaker phone, and was EXTREMELY thin. I was so sad when it died... I got a nokia that kinda sucked, then an Lg that really really really sucked, and now i have a bleh samsung flip phone. I hate flip phones.

Here are my comments, which I think would improve your design.

1. the flip out screen, while cool looking, would not only be fragile, it'd be annoying to flip out all the time to see what you were dialing. You'd also not be able to see who's calling you. When people call me, sometimes I don't feel like talking to them so I don't answer. Because of this:

2. I'd like the display integrated with the phone. You could do it vertically, along the side... Two rows of pretty dense LED displays would work, then you'd have a name and a phone number.

3. It really needs one of those green 'call' and red 'end' buttons. Every phone has those. People are used to them, and they're pretty much a standard.

Keep pushing it. I would LOVE a simple, no frills phone again, and this design is gorgeous so far.

Guest BloodRabbit

Nice thanks for the heads up.

I would really like to know if you or anyone else finds other sites that has picked it up.

Guest dmac

The design has lost something in this new design, i liked your initial design. Also the semantics and visual language of the newer phone say its a bike lock to me.

I would like a phone book to be incorporated that could be navigated by an up/down button on the side? Your display could easily show letters as well as it currently displays numbers.

Chur

Dave

Guest Paul Beckett

Just furthering what was suggested by NoShame - having a phonebook - you could include a USB plug so it can attach to your computer to store numbers directly into it? could be a useful addition to have - not sure what you think about it.

a good concept to begin with although do you think there will be a market? i know you said that you personally had troubles with your phone but are people going to take a step back? losing the sms - probably more used that calling people, mms, camera - i know i couldn't go back to not having a camera phone, and garage opener - actually haven't ever heard of this one in a phone..maybe it was a joke?

btw i think the renders are ace. really good stuff.

Guest BloodRabbit

Waikit:

Gizmodo had my permission.

As long as there are no misinformasion I don't have any problem whit them showing my phone.

EDIT:

I forgot to thnk you, thank you for getting those links.

Phonebook and other similar things is mainly firmware so ofcourse it could be implemented, but it won't change the design, so use you imagination.