Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BloodRabbit

Tiny Phone

Guest BloodRabbit

Im not brushing it off, but if there are easy ways to fix them I dont bother seeing them as major design flaws.

To get the moving action of a mousewheel you dont need a complete wheel or a central axis, the only part of the movent in a mousewheel i want is the first click for scrolling up and down and the vertical push button in it. Both my design are made so that the button can rotate into the body of the phone.

under here is an image that shows the action again and as you can see the buttons are shaped like drums or mousewheels whit a grove in them so you dont slip of it.

122fs2704666.jpg

Guest aqua

i personally think its a good concept for a start. But still you have to explore the concept of your idea. It is an idea for now, still you have to push it up more into the design concepts. You doing very well, but you have to cross the boundaries of a "limited mind", explore the unknown.

As i told you earlier , design is not about pretty picture/rendering , its about creativity and think outside the box. Your idea is pretty interesting thou and you should take feedback from others into account. i should agree with ditman , you just brushing things off!

If you want to succeed then you have to explore, thats the best advice i could give you.

Guest akshay

I share your frustration with the current range of cameras, mp3players, voice recorders, alarm clocks, calenders...........that can also be used to make a phone call, although after lot of butten pushing.

I like the direct like it or leave it approach, and it's great that you have defined it in the very beginning that IT"S ONLY A PHONE.

Just think about a way to transfer all the phone numbers from may be your previous phone to this one, a simple data port would do it, and once that is done, why not have the voice dialling feature, a really refined one, so that I dont even have to dial the numbers.

Personally, I am waiting for the day, when the whole cell phone would be just behind my ear, and would have the next generation microphone , that would be able to pickup the voice from that distance itself.

Well, Great job.

Guest BloodRabbit

aqua:

I know what you told me, but as I told you Im only doing product design as a hobbie, so I only want to do the fun bits(ofcourse if someone want to pay me well to do othervice... :)) so unless its entertaining to me in some form its not my problem.

When you say "design is not about pretty picture/rendering" your wroung in a way, because design isnt about having the best one, its about getting others to think it is, sorry to be so brutal, but thats how stuff works (not only design).

You advice is good if my goal was to be a well known designer which its not at the moment unless it pays better than what I get now.

Heres my advice if you have a hobbie you like, be careful turning it into work.

askhay:

A data port would be simple to implement or it could just use a twin SIMcard whit all the numbers from the other phone (this was always seen as a secondary phone by me).

A voice recognition feature goes agains the concept, because good voice rec. software(if you can call any of them good) needs a bit of prossesing power which takes away from the simplicety of the phone (and the battery).

For your dreams of a phone that can sit behind your ear, I don't think a microphone is the big problem, sound travels quite well trough your scull (I read an article) and seeing as there is little flesh and muscles back there I guesstimate that it would work very well. And the technicall stuff needed are small enough now to fit in a wristwatch, so I say why not (only downsides are beeing the voice rec. software and the other is that people may look at you when you go around screming to it when it doesnt understand you "got @#$@#$ it, crap phone CALL MOM... no not James.. MOOOM").

Guest jcroberts

first off, i don't think the design is that revolutionary.... i know a lot of people who have done the 'back to basics' mobile thing and made it look a hell of a lot skicker, for starters the ergonomics are all over the place... viable or not, it just isn't commercial

you say that 'design' is all about pretty pictures and renders.. yea its important to sell you're concept as best you can, but if its a badly though out design then the best renders in the world aren't going to make up for it.

if you're doing it as a hobbie, fair enough do what makes you happy. But don't post asking for critique only to knock it back when you get it. There are people who actually do design for a living here, you never know you might actually learn something if you stopped being so ignorant

Guest BloodRabbit

Doing something completly new is very close to imposible, therefore I aim for unusual.

The ergonomics wouldn't be that bad, seeing as you only will use it to punch in 8-10 digits and hold it (like any round object).

I never clamed that "design is all about pretty pictures", I said its an important part.

Im still not brushing the crits off, but if the crits are minor I'm not gone rip my heart out.

Here are the crit from the forums it has been postet at:

1. Screen can't show letters.

2. Buttons can't operate in the form they are designed now.

3. transfering/storing numbers.

4. battery placement.

How it can be overcome:

1. There was a type of lcd used in 90s car stereoes that looked a lot like digits on a calculator only they had some central elements that made em able to show complete letters.

2.I have the coplete design of the button mechanics in my head and they operate like mouse wheels only they are not complete circles or need an axle to swivel around(more like tracks), remeber it only needs the first "click" to eather side not a complete round.

3.Simcard duplicate from your main phone whit all the numbers saved on or a dataport on the bottom of the phone solves this problem and/or simple letter typing ont the numeric buttons(wouldn't look as nice in my opinion).

4.I don't know how much a gsm chip needs to work, but Im guessing it isn't alot(only speculating here) so the battery could be a flatpack in the bottom compartment.

I would make a form study, the shape would be awkward for a phone and I can understand while people are saying the ergonomics maybe poor. Look at the size of that speaker in comparison to the phone itself, if the objects diameter is too small, larger hands are going to find it very uncomfortable.

I can imagine that the buttons are going to dial there own numbers while its sitting in your pocket, unless you put a locking mechanism on it when not in use.

Not asking you to rip your heart out, but people are providing their thoughts and opinons about your design and you are going to get more criticism either negative or positive when you place it in the Finished projects, rather than works in progress...thought for the future.

Design involves evaluating a product, finding the issues/concerns raised and producing a better end product. The first thing that pops into your head might not always be the solution, development may lead to a different taylored design that incorporates other aspects that were not orginally considered.

Guest BloodRabbit

I'm tired of people posting general information, as if it was great wisdom.

the phone has a diametre of about 2 cm(I think thats about 4/5 of an inch), take your girlfriends or your own lipstick(its about 1.5 cm or so in diametre) and hold it in your hand now put your tumb on it, are you able to put a bit of sidewards force on it whitout it rolling in your hand? if yes then this phone can be used by your hands.

I have no idea what your trying to say about the speaker, but it doubles as the screen popout button and the keypad doesn't do anything before the screen is out, so pocketdailing doesn't happen(ever).

Ok lets try this again, if the problem you have whit this(or anyone elses) product can be solved(by you) in under 5 minutes, doesn't requier a complete redesign and can be explained in under 5 words, then don't post it as a question/problem just say something like:

"ow and it probably has/could have a keylock function".

I'm a bastard I know, but my job is problem solving (project manager) not problem making, so a problem isn't a problem before it can't be solved in an hour.

The only reason general information is posted, is if the information hasn't been provided in the first place and people are requesting claification. Ergonomics comments were referring to how it feels in your hand, operation is a seperate issue in this case that I was not addressing.

I was trying to determine the size of the phone with reference to the speaker, hence why I thought a form study would evaluate the ergonomics well.

Take a chill pill mate and come back when you've cooled off..everyones here to give feedback and ask about designs they are interested in, so everyone can learn and become better in their field

Guest superbad

Calling it a concept doesn't change the fact that the components required to make a working phone (battery, radio, SIM card, antenna, PCB) wouldn't fit inside that volume, especially when you've got to take out a big chunk right in the middle to leave room for that folding display. And if this is just a hobby where you don't care about technical details, you might as well be drawing dragons or spaceships. Solving those problems is at least 50% of design, probably a lot more.

If you want a crticism of the general concept, I would say make the thing a telescoping slider rather than a switch blade. One, it gives you more internal volume, and two, it makes it longer when in use and thus easier to talk into.

Guest Alessandriu Dragos

I think you can cut a neck with this phone, you must cover that glass a little.

Guest BloodRabbit

I don't see people designing concept cars having to explain how a differential works or how much space it takes, or even what kind of engine the car uses. You see I'm mostly interested in the packaging of a produckt as I think most designers are, but seeing as there are lots of disbelife that it all could fit in there I did some research.

I was surtain it could be one, we have wrist "watch" cellphone for gods sake.

There are several chip makers out there making single chips whit almost all the features needed in a cellphone, here are a couple of links to articles/information about 2 of them:

The Si4206, made with standard 0.18-µm CMOS, comes in an 8- by 8-mm LGA package(8x8mm)

Texas Instruments OMAPV1035(I couldn't find the size of the chip, but the largest in my smartphone is 12x10mm. This chip also does a alot more than I want in the concept phone)

I could go on, but Ive proven my point, there is more than enough room for everything needed in there(it could actually take about 5 of the chips, even more if I could dictate the shape of them), battery in the lower half and pcb in the upper, a standard SIMCard is 1,5 x 2.5 cm and will also fit and the antenna is in the backrod of the lcdscreen and yes there is still room for the buttons.

And for the glass comment, take an old calculator apart and feel the edges of the screen glass, you see it doesnt have to be sharp just like your glasstable doesnt take off your leg when you touch it.

I don't see people designing concept cars having to explain how a differential works or how much space it takes, or even what kind of engine the car uses.

If they don't, they're poor designers. Knowing how stuff fits in your design is of paramount concern, especially in the case of a cellphone where the entire concept is about package size feasibility. Despite your dismissive hostility, even just doing that quick research lends more credibility to what you're trying to say.

Furthermore, a wrist-watch cellphone probably ends up having more useful space than your cell-cylinder. PCBs are flat (like a wrist-watch). You've got less than the diameter of your cylinder to fit everything in, so knowing how it actually works is, believe it or not, really important.

And for the record, I like the concept. But getting up in arms because of the slightest criticism doesn't help anyone...least of all you.