Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest A-train

Geo Project

Guest A-train

Ok, here we go. I have submitted this into a compettion for JVC, the spherical speaker. the starting technology was 12 speakers combined in a dodecaedron shape (12 surface cube) to create a spherical sound. The dodecaedron was 100mm high. You just had to come up with a new idea to dress the outside.

I also post the text that went with the pictures :

JVC Geo - Move sounds

Problem - What if you have a party? What if you have friends over to watch the big game? What if you want to indulge in your new video game? What if you want to relax and meditate on the floor? Where would you like your sound to come from at those moments?

If you have spherical sound technology, it can be placed at the ideal location to enjoy the feel of perfect sound. You are not always in the same position in a room so the sound should be adaptable to your position. The height from the sound source to the ears has a significant influence on how you perceive your music or your television. Geo invites you to manipulate your sound source to suit your preferences. When your living room is transformed into a party place, Geo will hang high so that the sound can be freely spread without being muffled by the people who are dancing in front of the stereo. During the weekly yoga session with relaxing background music, Geo will be close to the floor to enhance the mood.

Geo lets you move sound as you want it. The spherical speaker is suspended by 3 cables: a long cable on one side and 2 separate cables on the other side. The two separate cables are used for sound input. They are attached to a reel in the ceiling mount and allow you to move the sphere. The long cable glides through a slot and activates the spinning rings; one end is fixed, the other end is attached to a second reel in the ceiling mount. You can push or pull Geo to the required height to fully enjoy your perfect sound setup. To release the movement, a short push or pull will unlock the reels from their fixed position and extend or roll up the cables. To keep Geo in balance, the reel of the long cable winds twice as fast as the other one.

The sphere has a diameter of 170 mm and is made of perforated polyurethane sheets that are preformed and stiff. All the sheets snap into the base construction. The rings on the side are perforated coated aluminum. As you push the ball up, the inner ring will turn clockwise and enhance the idea of an object moving in space. When you push it downwards, the outer ring will turn anticlockwise. This mechanism is triggered by the friction bearings that roll against the moving cable when it slides through the slots. The slots are polyamide to let the cable slide through smoothly. The cables have a diameter of 3 mm and are covered with a polypropylene, Teflon coated insulation. These materials will allow the cables to move freely through the slots.

Geo moves your sound, so let sound move to your mood. Let music come the way you wish and interact with it to appreciate it from a new dimension.

hope you like it

A.

slide 2

post-4156-1160673989.jpg

post-4156-1160674120.jpg

post-4156-1160674311.jpg

post-4156-1160674349.jpg

post-4156-1160674384.jpg

post-4156-1160674414.jpg

Guest cooperkid

Nice thought and concept behind the idea, however I’m not sure it would work successfully.

Firstly there is the air volume (sound box) that is needed in a speaker and also depending on the amplification I can assume the speakers will start to sway and rock under sound vibration (perhaps distorting the sound in the process).

one would gather whether this is the reason why hifi manufacturers design either floor or wall mounted speakers.

Nice visuals btw..

good luck in the comp...

Guest A-train

The cometition hadn't have anuthing to do with the speaker design itself, the guts were fixed and because every speaker has an opposite speaker, there wont be any swinging ( i hope)

thanks

A.

Guest nacho_grande

There is a solid story behind it. Your presentations are enough to describe the design, but maybe you can push the realism on the renders :) (Espeacially the first two)

Guest A-train

Did any one else on this forum apllied for this competition?? I got a very fuzy mail back that doesnt clearly sy if I am in to the next round. My friend applied also and he didnt get a reply at all.

Very frustrating I would say, so if anybody did get a same message, (small chance because only 110 applicant but any how) let me know what you got.

A.

Guest Nephtis

Nice concept. I really like the fact that the innerworkings spin by adjusting the height, nice feature. Like the first and last render best.

The only critic that first came to mind is the fact that the renders in combination with the real pictures don't do the product any justice. There is one exception, the guy who is reading the paper. That render/photo combination works. The others look kinda "flat".

I don't agree with the argument that the speaker needs a lot of air volume, look at a couple of the Bang&Olufsen speakers(Beolab 3, see attached). They are small and provide high quality sound, so it is possible. But I think you do need a hole in the shell to release pressure created by the buildup of moving sound. Also, you could incorporate a feature that projects sound through the entire room like the beolab(great for a party).

But anyway, I like the concept, it's new and they idea of the heigth adjustment is refreshing.

post-6873-1163615012.jpg

Guest noShame

Looks good but not sure that you get the movement you want if it is attached to a reel in the ceeling. That way you just get a 2d movement along the reel. I think a better solution would be to put a couple of magnets to the holder and paint the ceeling with a base coat of color that is magnetic. That way you could move the thingy in two dimensions and get it any where in the room.

(See that you also are from sweden: Alcro has a base color that supports magnets, check it out if you want!)

Guest A-train

Hey guys, got news from the competition, didnt get it, but I got some good feedback form them.

[Looks good but not sure that you get the movement you want if it is attached to a reel in the ceeling. That way you just get a 2d movement along the reel. I think a better solution would be to put a couple of magnets to the holder and paint the ceeling with a base coat of color that is magnetic. That way you could move the thingy in two dimensions and get it any where in the room.]

I dont see how you would get the cables through the magnets though and the electrics. but having the poossiblity to movet the thingy in full space would be even cooler I agree, maybe in the future/ who knows.

I am not really from sweden, I am just studying in Umea, I am from Belgium

thanks for the comments