Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

October 3d Modeling Challenge

Guest roBodesign

Bit lat I know, but this is where I got to. Didn't even get chance to render it...

post-9126-1197305352.jpg

Guest lincoln

Hi guys,

I've some difficulties to render the part. I mean, I want to do photo realistic render but the result is not what I want. The blade doesn't look good, even if it's polished steel.

Can someone told me some guideline to follow?

I've heard people talking about Indirect Illumination, is it the way to go?

I suppose that my blade doesn't look good because there is nothing to reflect on it, I am right?

Any advice would be gladly appreciated!

This is my render:

knive1ws2.jpg

Sorry Lincoln & roBodesign:

Just today I saw your posts.

Nice work!

About rendering... Just go to Parel's tuts on that subject.

Anyway, I am almost convinced that we need a Rendering Tutorial.

Ciao

Guest ChrisDuncan

Knowing this is a late reply to this challenge, but just doing it for the training/learning anyway.

It's not quite finished, still need the string knotch and some two-tone color on the handle.

All I have is the bare bones SW, so no rendering capability. This is just the normal Real View, better than nothing.

Made this knife as an assembly, form follows function, thinking if you draw something you should also look at design, so you should know how it's really built. Added a thumb grip at the base of the blade. Many divers prefer an unpolished blade, in certain waters a reflection attracts barracudas and sharks. Most serrated knives are only sharpened on one side of the serrations. Also 5mm is a little thick for this size knife, 3.5 to 4mm is closer to industry norm.

Having done a lot of solids in Acad, seems to me the blade is easier to build with solids. Just an outline extrude and then swept path the hollow ground with a sharp edge to make it look even more real. Did have to use a surface cut for the sharp edge on the serrations.

A knife blade is a simple shape with a more or less uniform section profile. When you think of the manufacturing process it will resemble a swept path.

The handle is another matter, as I'm still not the best at surfacing had to follow some of you guys expert work, thanks for the lesson.

post-23105-1213582744.jpg

post-23105-1213582762.jpg

post-23105-1213582779.jpg

Guest TitanDesign

Hey Will usher,

Your work is pretty good! What kinda software u use ? Solidworks,Rhino ? And rendering in Maxwell or Hypershot ?

Guest Pavla Mertlik

Hey guys

this looks like a great tutorial. does anybody know what the dimensions are in? in. or mm.?

please help me out

thanks a bunch

Hi Pavla:

The original dimensions we put in the first drawing are in mm.

But they are just as references, so feel free to modify them.

Ciao

Guest Mark.Downes

Hi Ragde,

Here's my humble attempt at your divers knife tutorial.

Learned alot from this, thanks very much.

Cheers

Mark

post-21192-1274648983.jpg

Guest yarcee

I can't download the file, there's an error in the page (file not found). Could you reupload it, please?

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.