Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

October 3d Modeling Challenge

@Muggs & joeschmoe: Both of are great models. Which software you used for modeling?

Yes SolidWorks 2007, then into Rhino to render in Flamingo.

joeschmoe, I thout the same anout your handle! :) Just kidding! I actually stuggeled with the cut in the handle.

If you look at the rear view, it is actually a concave cut. So my question is: how do you mean "more work" what exactly do you see as wrong. Thanks!

Muggs

Guest joeschmoe

@Muggs & joeschmoe: Both of are great models. Which software you used for modeling?

Yes SolidWorks 2007, then into Rhino to render in Flamingo.

joeschmoe, I thout the same anout your handle! :) Just kidding! I actually stuggeled with the cut in the handle.

If you look at the rear view, it is actually a concave cut. So my question is: how do you mean "more work" what exactly do you see as wrong. Thanks!

Muggs

Hi Muggs what I am referring to illustrated below:

handledetailhz6.jpg

note the way the detail line bleeds out as it goes round the handle:

handledetail1bo8.jpg

Hope that is clearer, I did not mean to offend, just offer a bit of advice :) BTW main body of handle modeled with 3 surfaces.

Yeah, I see what you mean. It just seemed to me that the "cut" was more concave.

post-1166-1161354969.jpg

BTW, no offense taken, I'm certainly not above learning. I would like to see how you created your "cut".

Muggs

Guest joeschmoe
Yeah, I see what you mean. It just seemed to me that the "cut" was more concave.

post-1166-1161354969.jpg

BTW, no offense taken, I'm certainly not above learning. I would like to see how you created your "cut".

Muggs

Ah I could have done with that image :)

I started with one lofted surface:

handlebuild1kb9.jpg

Then trimmed the main surface with "crease" detail line:

handlebuild2xf9.jpg

Guest Puhrot

I think you could easily use this same technique and get the concave shape in the side of the handle by just adjusting the guide curves a bit. This seems like a great approach to getting the basic shape of the handle. Thanks for posting the pictures Joe. Also what tool are you guys using to get the cuts in the top part of the handle? The way I was thinking of doing it would be to create a cylinder shape as reference geometry. Use multiple planes to create intersecting curves on the surface and then use to deform tool to place the cylinders on the intersection curve sketches. Then I could either use a combine/remove bodies or trim surface depending on whether I had knitted the handle yet. I think this will work when I try it but it seems like there may be an easier way to do it.

Also what tool are you guys using to get the cuts in the top part of the handle?

Here is how I did it.

Step-1 - Create some lines from the center of the handle.

handle1smug6.th.png

Muggs

Step-2 - Project a line onto the surface.

handle2smnq0.th.png

Step-3 - Make a Sweep Cut using the projected curve as you path.

handle3smgx1.th.png

Do the same for all cuts, mirror, and radius the edges.

HTH,

Muggs

Guest MotaDesign

Your approach, Joe. But with a little more line control. By the way thank you.

Guest joeschmoe
Your approach, Joe. But with a little more line control. By the way thank you.

Can you explain "line control" please? :)

Guest MotaDesign

Sorry now that I am looking at it, I used less lines in the loft command. But pretty much I modeled it like you did. If you like I can send you the model.

post-3164-1161383983.gif

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.