Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest creativejoe

Whats The Average Time It Takes To Sketch?

Guest creativejoe

hi guys, i'm new, i just wanted to know the approx time it takes for you lot to sketch a car (just the basic skeching.

i know this isnt anything important on improving my sketching but i would like to know

I don't think theres any set in stone answer and it's going to vary from person to person. For me a quick thumbnail sketch can probably be thrown onto the paper in 2-3 minutes. A bigger and looser sketch could be anywhere in the 15-30 minute range, and tightening up the linework on an overlay might take up to an hour.

Guest kronos

it depends on your skill level and what you want to show... training your skills is essential.

the more practise you havethe faster you#re able to show your ide. i know it sounds kind of boring, but it's a fact. I usually nees like 2-5 mins to sketch quick, but sometimes a little longer, depends on the mpood and my state of mind...as long as you have fun with what you do you'll sketch exactly the right way

Guest sachin

It mostly depends on the view. Quick flat views can take like 5-10 minutes, complicated perspective views take a lot longer. It also depends on the amount of detail you put into that sketch as well as trying to figure out your design. A sketch can be a simple thumbnail or even an elaborate view that can take two or three overlays. Those types of sketches can take up to an hour.

But whatever you do, make sure the sketch is in perspective, this takes a little longer, but its worth it considering that a sketch out of perspective doesn't communicate design as well. Don't rush sketching, its important to learn and then become quicker as you practice more.