Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest bart_schilder

Salary indication

Guest bart_schilder

Now I am in the process of looking for a job and getting into <sollicitatieprocedures> a couple of times I got the question how much I think I should be earning. I don`t have a clue, and don`t even care that much, but who can give me an global indication of a month salary for a junior-designer. Particularly in the design development&engineering sector?!

I know that the BNO has information about this, but if you`re not a member you have to pay for this...

Guest bart_schilder

Thanks, this gives me an indication. Although the europeans show pretty big differences, a french entry-level designer makes 22.000 and an italian 16.000....

Guest littlecog

That 'how much do you think we should pay you?' line is a trick question to guage how confident you are in you're abilities. You may not care right now flushed as you are with the optimism of youth, your design degree clutched in your sweaty paws but believe me two years down the line when you have become a burnt out, cynical old 'has been' you will resent every lost dollar. I would aim on the high side just because they will aim lower as a matter of principal. As a general guideline I would not accept a starting position for less than $50,000 per annum. You just can't live on any less! There is some variation depending on the industry. Generally if you are working in house for either an electronics or automotive company you can expect a higher rate. If, like me, you work in the sporting goods and fitness industry then, bad news, the money is not quite as good. Either way project confidence by insisting on a decent salary. Remember that if you accept a low wage it makes it tough for the rest of us to demand what we are worth.

$50,000 for starter position?? There's no way you can get a salary like that over here when you're fresh out of uni.. I think the starting academic salary here is usually about $30,000 but as I'm still at uni I don't really know, haven't spent too much time thinking about employment yet.

Guest coolguy

hiya thinking of relocating to Asia. Would that be encouraged and what are the pay packs like over there ? Thinking about China, Hong Kong and Singapore.

Guest cprodesign

it is true that you can not make a lot of money as a industrial designer.

if only you were a big guy.

Guest Jno

I agree with cprodesign, you cant make lot of money as a ordinary id employee...

but hey, its not all about money :D

Can you consider yourself doing something else... I cant...

JNo

Guest Qter

Hi Bart,

I started my first job (in NL) with 1800 euros per month. This is also the number that BNO advises. I thought it was ok (first job and only offer at the time) but it is quite low in comparison with other companies. I think you should aim at 2200-2000.

Good luck

Guest sixfish

I agree, $50,000 is way too high for a starter salary right out of chool. More like 30-32,000.

The best advice is, get a job with an OK to decent salary, and freelance on the side for more $$$$. I have done that for 3 years.

-sixfish

Guest nonex.nl

It can really differ a lot: I started at an international highly respected office in landscape architecure and urban design (WEST 8), and got chances to do projects acroos whole europe, from france to great britain, italy, sweden, belgium etc. from small to big projects, but alle for quite a low salary (eq. of 950 euros/month start). And this for weeks of 60 hours without overtime being paid or compensated.

Another of worldfamous architectural company, Office for Metropolitan architcture also doens't pay that well. It is because of the experience and the interesting design projects people want to work for these firms. I did for almost four years, and than decided to start to prepare for my own desing office, which is starting up now. (besides a not-interesting but wellpaid designjob in the field of landscape design). I've never been so happy about my work as since I started for myself.... :D;);)

Guest shellkt

Don't know if your looking in the US or not, but entry level ID's start at around 40k

per year now. If you're a trans designer going to one of the three auto makers, they

start at around 55-60k per year. IDSA has a compensation study that you can purchase. This study is based on US only....hope this helps.

Guest Wally
$50,000 for starter position?? There's no way you can get a salary like that over here when you're fresh out of uni.. I think the starting academic salary here is usually about $30,000 but as I'm still at uni I don't really know, haven't spent too much time thinking about employment yet.

aye, mate you can - imperial college has something like 70% of students on a £25 grand salary within 6 months of leaving

Guest «AD»

hm, US only is the thing that worries me on the studies...

would like indication considering TransD with european firms, VW, BMW, DaimlerChrysler ( lol european), but GM and Ford 'd be interesting too...

Guest araf

Hello :)

I just got an job offer in Amsterdam. And I was wondering if this value that you offer here its with tax or without tax?

And how can I acess this page in BNO because it asks me for a password so i cant check the designer salary.

Kind regards.

Andre