Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest retrokitsch

light

Guest retrokitsch

That's a project I began some times ago, but I wanted to show you the idea and to know what to you think about and if you can help me.

The idea was a "ceiling light" which the customer can adapt the position in the space freely:

I made some sketches and had that:

light6.jpg

For the realisation I thought about a carbon fiber frame for the solidity, a kevlar wire, a warm neon light because it doesnt emit heat.

I made a 3d model, and other sketches:

light1_project.jpg

for the infinite rotation and the ceiling wire hided I had some ideas but hard to sketch.

What do you think about?

Guest littlecog

I think this is a very good concept but I think the use of a neon tube is not appropriate. The color spectrum from a neon tube does not create a warm ambiance and the thickness will end up creating a bulky form. I think a light like this should be so thin that it almost dissapears at certain angles. You might try electro-luminescent sheet like they use currently in car instrument panels. Or you could try LED's although again the colors are limited. Carbon fiber is cool but expensive and for a product as small and light as this you may find other materials more appropriate (like aluminium or stainless steel).

Guest bart_schilder

I disagree about the leds. There are color changing leds on the market, which can produce almost every color just by twitching the knob. I think they`re from Osram, but I`m not sure.

Leds are lightweight, not very expensive and, when you design this correctly, can produce a very ambiance.

Guest retrokitsch

Thanks for the answers!

>littlecog you are right, the use of the neon light is not appropriate, but I want a light which doesnt makes heat for security. I made a quick research on the internet for the LED technology: I learnt a lot but I didnt found any extra flat light ;)

For the carbon use, I know that's a very expensive material, but I like the effect it makes:

google image Shuttle%20Carbon%20Fiber%20Boom.JPG

And actually I dont care about the price :P that's "aristocratic design" lol

>bart_schilder thanks for the informations about LEDs but they makes heat I think.

If you're interested in the prices of carbon fiber rods, they are used a lot in stuntkites. Some manufacturers are Exel, Skyshark and Avia.. those rods are either pulltruded or wrapped around a core.

Guest yanky

hello

about ur design it can be more organic.. more like a sculpture pieces dun u think it look nicer this way.. n having a square design will there be a safety issues?? - sharp edges those kind. hving it organic its more ergonomic. n the material use for the main frame can be using soft materials like silicon

half translucent kinda . den the whole thing glow smoothly ..

do u think it is a better ideals ?? ;)

regards

ryan

hello

about ur design it can be more organic.. more like a sculpture pieces dun u think it look nicer this way.. n having a square design will there be a safety issues?? - sharp edges those kind. hving it organic its more ergonomic. n the material use for the main frame can be using soft materials like silicon

half translucent kinda . den the whole thing glow smoothly ..

do u think it is a better ideals ?? ;)

regards

ryan

Hm yeah, perhaps a circular shape would go some way as to make it less harmful.

Just an idea, you could use the back of the light for example to put in a mirror, perhaps have some light coming through from the front with some translucent glass/plastic so you could use it to do your make-up or something..

Have you thought about what you want to do with the back retrokitsch?