Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sixto62

Plastic Bottle Prototype

Guest sixto62

Has anyone prototyped bottles before?

I have 5 concepts of small, palm sized bottles with different forms to prototype. The form is what im evaluating here but im asking anyone who would like to share any techniques that will closely resemble plastic so that the general look and feel could as well be evaluated. This will be very useful to me. Thanks

Guest triax

Hello,

This forum is a good place to start as a number of bottle modelers are present.

I have used this company reguarly for SLA's and they offer good turn around times for the UK although based in Belguim.

http://www.materialise.com/HOME/home_ENG.html

Data sheet.

http://www.materialise.com/prototypingsolu...etsSLA_ENG.html

Regards,

t.

Edit: if you plan to blowmold these bottles/injection blow mold then bear in mind that your SLA is likely to be more accurate/ rigid than the final article so the exact form can alter although this could be considered negliagble.

Guest newkillerstar

I've seen plastic bottle protos that were just turned acrylic. They were solid inside, but that didn't matter. It gave a great effect. Turning may not suit your form, but CNC milling may be worth investigating depending upon your budget / needs.

I've also had some done in SLA - but here's the catch. The price gets high, the taller it is. Prototypers will want to lay it down to save cost, but you will not get a perfect circle for the opening. Our protos had a cap that needed to screw on and off, and thus had to be run standing up. Smaller (less busy) SLA houses won't necessarily rape you on the price so bad as bigger ones, if you want to run it standing.

Let us know how you do.

Guest A-Line

You can do good protos of bottles using vac-forming, doing a left and right and then gluing them together. Might be cheaper than SLA or other additive methods.

Guest sixto62
I've seen plastic bottle protos that were just turned acrylic. They were solid inside, but that didn't matter.

You said they were "turned" but why did they turn out to be solid?

I think turning would be the best direction to take. Is it possible to do it manually without equipment?

Equipment for vac forming and SLA is hard to find especially for a student like me. The project is student level and I would like a faster and cheaper way to do this proto.

Thanks a lot

Guest triax

Ah well if your a student get out your perspex and make a bottle. If the dimensions favour a lath then you may be able to turn a solid in no time at all and you will have bottle with form and feel of PVC/PET. I shouldn't imagine that the bottle needs to be hollow for you purposes. If it does then you will need to consider other machine techniques like 3/5 axis milling driven from solid works and then gluing the two half's together.

Good Luck.

If your strapped for cash then get out the trusty blue foam.

regards,

t.

Guest newkillerstar
I've seen plastic bottle protos that were just turned acrylic. They were solid inside, but that didn't matter.

You said they were "turned" but why did they turn out to be solid?

I think turning would be the best direction to take. Is it possible to do it manually without equipment?

Thanks a lot

The ones I had seen were turned as in made on a CNC lathe out of a solid stock cylinder of material. They just machined the profile and thus the inside was solid.

The question I should have asked is: What is this for / what do you want to get out of this? Form study/review? Proof of concept? Final Proto? If you need cheap and easy for form study, then look into Z-prints or CNC / hand foam models.

Guest sixto62

The primary thing that I want is form, but I d also want it to look like a finished bottle but not necessarily to contain fluid. If all attempt fails, it would be ok to resort to solid models.

My forms are organic and not perfectly round.

Here are some examples of what im going to do.

bottlecv6.jpg

This may be wrong guys but im thinking of something for the vacuum forming technique. How about making a plaster cast half then putting tiny holes into the cast. Then connecting the holes to a household vacuum cleaner. Then a pane of acrylic is put over the cast, sealing it out to create an airthight space. Then the acrylic is heated by heat gun then vacuum is turned on. And voila! What do you think?

Guest kaiza

you'll need more suction than a household vacuum can supply and more heat than a heat gun...

having said that, a friend of mine told me he made a vac former at home. not sure what he used for suction but he said he just heated the acrylic in the oven.

do any other departments where you study have vacformers?

Guest sixto62

actually im thinking about using those 1mm thick acrylic panes. maybe those vac formers are for those thick ones.

there are no vac formers here. I dont know any industry here that uses any. thats the point of trying to improvise or know of any other technique.

Thanks

Guest newt @ MWE

The vac form idea works well. Since they are small it should be easy enough to rig up a vacform setup at home. i helped a friend build one to form some components for a capsule bike concept using his central vac, stove and sacrificed a table we found at the goodwill (salvation army). other than that it was simply making the frames out of pine, attatching a valve to an air line, drilling several holes through the table top and applying foam tape to seal the frame to the table. the bucks are carved from pine or mdf and sealed with putty and primer. it worked quite well and we were surprised that we could pull 2'x4' sheets reletivly easily.

with the size you are looking at, it should be quite simple. i wouldn't use a heat gun as it will not be consistent, however if the size is really small (4"x4"ish) it masy work just fine. a household vaccumm will work just fine as long as there is a good seal between the vaccumm and the pane. beware, it is very possible that you will burn out the motor in the vaccumm if you run it while sealed for long enough. you may want to remove the bag from that vaccumm before trying.

however, if you are simply studying form you could use foam, wood or mdf. MDF sealed with putty and primer can be painted and give a very convincing look. and since you would need to build 2 halves anyway for the buck, you might as well build the whole thing and save a ton of time. the spray top can be salvaged from an existing bottle as it looks standard.

i hope this helps you and good luck. i did a similar project (designing a shampoo bottle) in first year and used the vac former at school to make the model. if i find any pics i will post them for you.

good luck

newt

Guest sixto62

Thats what im talking about. Im not the only one thinking of using a vacuum cleaner! The 1300W vacuum cleaner that I have is similar to the one in the link so it might do the job.

Thanks for the links!

Guest nh-online

I would get it SLA'd make a silicone vacuum casting mould, remove the SLA pour polyurethane into the casting.

Then rotation mould it, pour out the excess liquid allow it to cure.

Open the mould and you have a perfect optically clear bottle prototype.