Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest molested_cow

Help think of a name!!!

Guest molested_cow

I plan to enter this piece for a competition that ends on the 8th August.

http://www.coroflot.com/public/portfolio_f...e&order_no=2&t=

or you can try this link:

39307_1uk5DIhzPDoOB5m1_wZnW4RiO.jpg

The main theme of the competition is "Natural Balance"

My piece is a furniture, a collapsible shelf that hangs from the ceiling. My original inspiration was from seed pods that hang from tree branches, with each compartment that holds a seed to life, but never took the time to think of a name for it.

So my altered "theory" to suit this competition is the best way to strike a balance is to obey the laws of the nature, which in this case, is gravity. I don't want some random fancy name that has no content, that's why I am still stuck.

I was thinking of something plant related, something people feel familar with. Something that isn't overwhelming such that people have to be explained to. Something that will let people know what they are looking at. As simple as possible. That's why I never gave a special name for it and simply gave it the more direct name.

So if could be kind enough to contribute some ideas or anything that reminds you about this piece, please let me know asap!

Current suggestions are Tensegirty and Life Storey. Tensegrity describes exactly the technical aspect of my design, whereas Life Storey describes the emotional part of my design. I want to strike a middle ground...

On another hand, I think the balance part is pretty self explainatory so I think I want to go more towards the conceptual part, which is the "emotion carrying pod".

Yeah the pod theme would be best I think, there are enough confusing names out there. But you're right, it's hard :) I'll think about this..

I like the name 'Life Storey', it sounds lively. And it says about the content of the storey, keeping life on its place. And life is full of memory. So that would be a good name.

Guest aikon
I like the name 'Life Storey', it sounds lively. And it says about the content of the storey, keeping life on its place. And life is full of memory. So that would be a good name.

I love the name too, it really reflect the real product!

It has the shape of a leaf so maybe a name "Leafdrop''....

I think my lack of english vocabulary is hindering me on this one, best I came up with was 'life unfolds' or something like that..

We have/had an elective at my faculty which was about designing products based on natural pods and seeds.. I tried finding the site with all the photos for you, but it seems the pictures are no longer online, which is a shame as they were good quality pod/seeds photos.