Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
admin

pepper/salt/oil/vinegar condiment set

I am working on a pepper/salt/oil/vinegar condiment set for a school exercise, which focuses mainly on styling. The briefing of the assignment was to design a condiment set inspired by a chosen mood from an advertisement. A new moodboard was created to take out the interesting elements to work with. From the new moodboard ideas were generated. Key elements of the designs are: tension, sculpted and dynamic

I tried to catch one or more of these elements in the styling. So far I created loose sketches and some rendered ideas. At the moment I am still working on new ideas. So any tips and comments are welcome.

Here is the advertisement as inspiration:

adidas_moodboard.jpg

some rendered ideas, just focusing on form now. later, i will work on the openings and materials. Think i will combine two main materials graphically. Thinking of using stainless steel, glass, plastic or rubber...

concept1.jpg

Nice progress, but I would try to play a bit with the 'tension' as well.. the shapes you've made so far seem really smooth, and perhaps the introduction of some surface cuts or negative shapes will make it more 'tense'?..

Also, try looking at just the silhouette of the shapes.. will they be interesting enough? Your first attached image with sketches has some interesting shapes with negativity as well..

Nice stuff so far, try to push yourself a bit more though, maybe you need to steer clear of your current sketches for a day and just do crazy stuff?

edit: see the first image on this page? click!.. the underlying structure pushes out the shell, giving it a real presurized/tense feeling.

Thanks renzsu. I was expecting that kind of comments. The first challenge is that the shape should be comfortable to hold with. So I can't go to far with the shapes. The tension and dynamic elements are probably the most difficult aspect to work out. I certainly will try more negative surfaces to bring the tension back. The silhouette tip is a good idea. Will try.

Guest retrokitsch

Nice sketches!

That's very interesting for me (who wants to enter later in a design school) to see what's the kind of exercises I will have (I hope) and how is the "creation progression" about it, so at first thank you!

I see that the subject is very hard: do a thing which contain "pepper/salt/oil/vinegar" if I had good understood, and which the appearance reminds tension, sculpted and dynamics. good luck!

In your sketches I find the second one colored very good, with the "diagonal cut" and the slender shape.

If I were you, I would begin to sketch things only about tension, sculpted and dynamics, not thinking about the function, then, after having found interesting "styling lines" I would try to adapt it with the function. My idea is that in the design process you should, at the beginning, make styling and function apart, and after mix them. I guess that's not the best way lol

Sorry for my english :)

Guest Bizzo

Nice forms!

i really like the sketches and your design process. I do however agree with Renzsu in that the idea of tension needs to be explored, BUT maybe you already have some tension here. Any object that needs to be shaken or poured to get the contents out would seem to have some built up tension on its own.

your drawings are very inspiring also....tutorial one day? :)

bizzo

thx retro and bizzo,

retro> not thinking about the function is quite hard for a designer, but for this kind of exercise that might be useful.

bizzo>i'm working on the tension aspect. i agree that most of the sketches are too soft. drawing tutorial? don't know what kind of tutorial i could do...