Photo

Voting has ended: view the results here

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
51 replies to this topic

Poll: Entries are listed in no particular order (76 member(s) have cast votes)

Click on the member's name to view the thread

1. snugja (42 votes [55.26%])

Percentage of vote: 55.26%

2. cooperkid (12 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. renderf9 (5 votes [6.58%])

Percentage of vote: 6.58%

4. markovicd (1 votes [1.32%])

Percentage of vote: 1.32%

5. sixto62 (1 votes [1.32%])

6. Andyo_81 (1 votes [1.32%])

7. design_addict84 (6 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

8. desagree (1 votes [1.32%])

9. S_Kindler (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

10. SPUDS (0 votes [0.00%])

11. jelleken (0 votes [0.00%])

12. R-B (0 votes [0.00%])

13. newt @ MWE (6 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

14. Edua Mo Liewus (0 votes [0.00%])

15. Colvindesign (0 votes [0.00%])

16. sal (0 votes [0.00%])

17. Joshua AlexandeR (0 votes [0.00%])

18. blake (0 votes [0.00%])

19. tokes99 (1 votes [1.32%])

20. tarmoh (0 votes [0.00%])

21. Bbarn (0 votes [0.00%])

22. Dannyhavok (0 votes [0.00%])

23. Turbofrog (0 votes [0.00%])

24. Rop (0 votes [0.00%])

25. halomonogram (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote

#16 Guest_jcroberts_*

Guest_jcroberts_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:26 PM

ok..ok

a pat on the back to all who took part and managed to come to a resolved idea.

To me there are 3 or 4 threads that have really shone-out and have clearly been burning the candles into the mid-night hour

A big heads up to Newt and Snug who I have been following and given the amount and quality of work, I feel have justifiably came up with the most feasible products that meet the brief

Who gets my vote...I'm still undecided

#17 Guest_renderf9_*

Guest_renderf9_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for your comments cyberdemond, I now!!!! but Im not to fan of languages but I will put more time in that issue in my future works.
Thanks!!!

#18 Guest_renderf9_*

Guest_renderf9_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:53 PM

finaly I can see all the entry, very nice!!! and I think that all the coments will be more interesting in concepts, ideas, design, funtionality, and all that stuff, remember is an product design contest and I realy want to know the criticism about that issues, the design part was the motivation to this contest, you have to studie the shape, how works together with all the components and how frendly is with the user, that way all learn more about our mistakes and will be realy realy more usefull.

Personaly I can`t give my coments of all, may I can`t be that parcial, sorry!!

But I realy impress in the time snugja takes for all of us, nice!!!

And sorry for my english!!!!!

#19 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 21 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

For those that have trouble putting together their english, I may suggest focusing more on visual explanations using arrows, storyboards, or animations then using words. It's very easy to get real wordy in your descriptions, but its an art in itself to keep your text clear and concise.

#20 Guest_icon3_*

Guest_icon3_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:03 AM

We are designers and should be pushing the boundaries of innovation and new and exciting features.
well done to those of you that went out of the box and came up with something refreshing.

i particularly liked newt@ project. although its also a scooter i think there is more innovation and thought behind it opposed to snugja project which to me was just all pretty pictures. all that work just to end up with something you prob could have come up with in your first postings. to me youre just going around in circles.
sure its nice to have good drawings but come on time efficiency here.

so i think its a big thing to say that this is just supposed to be a shopping trolley and not to a backpack or scooter. the shopping trolley is the basis. from there its up to you as a designer to take it as far as you want.

no innovation from snugja. well done newt@.

my 2 cents

#21 Guest_Colvindesign_*

Guest_Colvindesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 03:41 AM

I didn't finish my design and so voted for Snug

I didn't get to work on it much because I got a gig where the prize will be much better, a customized street rod in a lot of magazines that will carry my logos. Not to say this wasn't a good prize at all, but after seeing some of the other entries, I got the feeling I am a bit out of my league. I hope Snug enjoys his Wacom! He deserves it and I know we all will be happy to see lots of work done with it in the future. After I have done enough renderings to satisfy the new client, I plan to be a much more regular poster here.

On another note, I will be entering and taking the next contest more seriously, as I have learned quite a bit and have progressed a few steps during this contest by looking at the other entries and corresponding with the other contestants. Honestly I think if a company were to hire the lot of us they'd have one of the best ideation teams in history and they'd be hard pressed to find somethign we couldn't design well as a group. So while being out of the running for the prize is not that great, the contest itself was much more rewarding and now I have a whole stack of portable fridge and trolley designs that show me I can draw something other than cars. A big thanks to all the other contestants who posted work.

#22 Renzsu

Renzsu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,159 posts
  • At:Springtime Industrial Design

Posted 22 August 2006 - 08:39 AM

I didn't finish my design and so voted for Snug

I didn't get to work on it much because I got a gig where the prize will be much better, a customized street rod in a lot of magazines that will carry my logos. Not to say this wasn't a good prize at all, but after seeing some of the other entries, I got the feeling I am a bit out of my league. I hope Snug enjoys his Wacom! He deserves it and I know we all will be happy to see lots of work done with it in the future. After I have done enough renderings to satisfy the new client, I plan to be a much more regular poster here.

On another note, I will be entering and taking the next contest more seriously, as I have learned quite a bit and have progressed a few steps during this contest by looking at the other entries and corresponding with the other contestants. Honestly I think if a company were to hire the lot of us they'd have one of the best ideation teams in history and they'd be hard pressed to find somethign we couldn't design well as a group. So while being out of the running for the prize is not that great, the contest itself was much more rewarding and now I have a whole stack of portable fridge and trolley designs that show me I can draw something other than cars. A big thanks to all the other contestants who posted work.

That's good to hear man, glad you found the contest fun and a good learning experience :)

#23 Guest_jcroberts_*

Guest_jcroberts_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 09:07 AM

this a quick note to say I disagree 100% with icon3... don't be cliche in saying designers should be 'thinking out of the box' and pushing boundries of innovation...blah..blah..blah

agree there is a time and place for that but this was a product to be designed for a real market and a real target audience and should be approached with that in mind

design what the markets needs and not what you think the market wants. If you look at snug's thread you'll see his thought pattern and why he came to the approach he did. Don't skim over the surface come out with crap cliche's and throw you['re 2 cents in

#24 Guest_cooperkid_*

Guest_cooperkid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 10:42 AM

this a quick note to say I disagree 100% with icon3... don't be cliche in saying designers should be 'thinking out of the box' and pushing boundries of innovation...blah..blah..blah

agree there is a time and place for that but this was a product to be designed for a real market and a real target audience and should be approached with that in mind

design what the markets needs and not what you think the market wants. If you look at snug's thread you'll see his thought pattern and why he came to the approach he did. Don't skim over the surface come out with crap cliche's and throw you['re 2 cents in

Sorry I have to both agree and disagree with your comments jcroberts... in retrospect even Snugja was thinking outside the box with his funky honeycomb idea.. Most shopping trolleys are a canvas type material and tubular framework!

As designer we should indeed be thinking outside the box and pushing the boundaries of innovation!! However this only takes place after a foundation of proper market research has been undertaken with regards competitors and consumer behaviour etc.

Just think, where would Jonathan Ive be if he had just designed another grey monitor and tower and named it the imac! or James Dyson had designed another run of the mill vacuum cleaner! These men are at the top of their game because they thought outside of the box.

Posted Image

#25 Guest_jcroberts_*

Guest_jcroberts_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 12:22 PM

agree with you totally cooperkid

all i was trying to get at was that we shouldn't be forced into the thinking that we should be designing something revolutionary just because "it's whats expected" and its "what we do"

the research and consumer will ultimately dictate if the final solution is a success, and not some flash in the pan idea that came about because it was deemed a 'cool' 'innovative' idea

Both proved by the iMac and Dyson. They spotted a niche/user need in the market and explioted it. Both designs we're driven by the consumer demand

plus...I hate the coined phrase 'thinking out of the box'

#26 Guest_cooperkid_*

Guest_cooperkid_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 01:11 PM

I agree, we shouldn’t be forced in to thinking ‘it’s what’s expected of us’, but no doubt you will probably know that clients are always looking for new (perhaps innovative) fresh ideas. They naturally want to be ahead of their competitors in their game

I know what you mean by the expression ‘thinking outside of the box’ but if it’s good enough for the ‘Masters’ of Design then it’s good enough for me…lol :)

#27 Guest_newt @ MWE_*

Guest_newt @ MWE_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 04:52 PM

hey all

just to warn, i am having one hell of a crappy day at work today, so if anything sounds mean or harsh forgive me.

i had no idea that this competition would turn into such a heated debate!

i wanted to say kudos and thanks to renszu, waikit and all others for organizing and running these comps (not to mention the forum) . it awesome to really have fun with a design challenge and to let your mind go crazy about a solution. thanks for the break guys.

they are also a great way for new designers and those thinking about becoming a designer to get a look at design as a process. being out of school for 2 years now, i have noticed that many people do not understand or appriciate the actual amout of work that a designer does and these comps, in the wip format, really give budding designers a look at what is entailed.

it is also interesting to see how so many different solutions can be drawn out to solve the same problem.

newt

#28 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 22 August 2006 - 05:04 PM

Peoples work is like their babies, you're always very protective of it. :)

Everyone also needs to remember, there was no particular area we are "Grading" on these projects. Most competitions the judges will get some kind of chart with different areas and critera they judge upon. Everyone took different approaches. I personally loved sixto62's idea the best. Some of the ideas he came up with were really really smart decisions, but it lacked some of the polish and pizzazz, as well as really answering the original problem statement which was to design a trolley for young people. I believe that with some more work, that collapsing trolley could easily become a very viable product.

Theres no right and wrong in design, only differences.

#29 Guest_newt @ MWE_*

Guest_newt @ MWE_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

brilliantly put cyberdemon.

while most solutions would be cheaper than the newt trolley, it does not mean there is no room in the targetr market for my solution. my solution targets a niche market , a segment within the overall market. there are many people within this market who would deffinitly appriciate the added features and benefits that it provides and would spend the money on it.

products like say an alienware computer are deffinetly more expensive than a dell, but does this mean that no one ever buys alienware? no. people who want or need the added benfit of a gaming computer will spend the money on it.

just as, an 18-35 year old male, who is active and lives in an urban area and has a good paying job, would appriciate the features and benefits of the newt and would be willing to pay for it.

the newt makes no attempt to mask the fact that it is a trolley. it does facilitate the need to easily navigate a citystreet or sidewalk and more so, dirt path shortcuts, which exist everywhere, at least in canada. it takes the trolley and adds to it. the hopper for the newt takes the trolley basket form and stylizes it taking cues from skateboard culture and meshing it with highend highlights.

newt

#30 Guest_Colvindesign_*

Guest_Colvindesign_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:51 PM

about the whole "innovation debate".....

even though I went down the same path, starting with a portable fridge, and ended up with a design intended to be an automobile accesory, I don't think the scope of the contest was to re-invent the trolley.

Yes, the Newt trolley was cool for those into it. I decided to vote for who I thought did the intended purpose of the contest to the letter. I also took into consideration "if I were a business owner......" and looked at the entries, thinking if I was to introduce a new product, which design would I go with? I probably would not have gone with the more innovative designs simply because they are a higher risk, re-inventing something is great, if it catches on. If it does not catch on, it will just be a money pit.

Being a 1.5 time business owner, I know that innovation sells in certain areas, and does not in others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store