Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest whippy

A Little Embarrassed..

Guest whippy

hey, i've been a member of this forum for quite a while now, but have been too chicken to post anything because everything i've seen is awesome! I'm a second/third year uni student and have just started a placement year, but my sketching really isn't up to scratch. I'd really like some criticism (preferably constructive!) of my sketching. I've attached a sketch that I did for my last project, it's supposed to be an alcohol gel dispenser for use by NHS paediactirc staff. The sketch was done with a pencil and three markers, and I'm not particularly confident with markers... hence the lack of usage! The idea is to increase awareness of HCAI's (Healthcare associated infections) and encourage children in peadiatric wards to question staff as to whether or not they have cleaned their hands before contact, possibly using inscentives such as 'how many bugs have you seen today' leaflets and posters... of which I have done in Illustrator. (don't know if they're needed to explain the proposal more?!) Sorry if this makes no sense! Please help! Cheers.

post-3726-1155677835.jpg

Don't feel scared of showing your work, it's probably more than adequate in its purpose and it's the only way to get some feedback right?

Do you have some more images than this one? What is this btw? It looks like some kind of giant bug being squished?

The hand sketch isn't bad btw, but it doesn't hurt to take a good look at your hand and try and simplify it, think of it made out of basic box shapes and then try to draw your hand again, this time pay less attention to details in the shape and more to the overall proportions (how long are the fingers compared to the width of the palm? Where does the thumb attach to the palm? etc. etc.)

Try not to draw the same sketch twice by first setting it up in pencil. Be confident and draw directly in ink, it might not be perfect but it'll result in a cleaner looking sketch.

You might want to try to copy some sketches that you like, see if you can figure out why things are done a certain way and if you can achieve the same results or similar at least...

edit: that's quite a long story... guess it applies to not just you but anyone with similar 'problems'.

Guest whippy

Cheers for the reply and tips, hand's aren't really my fortee! It's supposed to be an alcohol gel dispenser containing 100ml alcohol gel to kill 99% of bacteria. Possibly made from LDPE so it could be easily squeezed, and keep the cost down. Unfortunately I had my laptop with half my work so don't have the entire project, except for on paper, but I do have a CAD model, which I think is a bit simple. And a quick model. Any suggestions?

post-3726-1155679157.jpg

post-3726-1155679237.jpg

Guest whippy

The idea behind the gel coming out of the head was that it could then have a simple cap (i'm not sure how clear that is on the cad) so the costs would be kept minimal. I was also trying to consider the fact that if it was accidently squeezed then you wouldn't want to be covered in alcohol gel (it doesn't smell great!)

The clip (the red bit on the model) is also similar to those on id badges, but with a magnet (as it has to have a quick release in case it's grabbed) and there could be a magnetic plate at nurses stations (i.e a shaped slab of metal) which the staff could use to hang their dispensers after there shift... silly idea?

I've found some more of the sketches that I did for this project, will post them later and accept all criticism!

Guest CheckMate

hi whippy,

i like the idea, but one consideration might be that something like this containing a high concentrate of alcohol could possibly be abused by somebody wanting a high and inhaling fumes from it. but on the other hand why should we restrict ourselves because of idiots like that? i would like to know what an ethical take on this would be.

hi whippy,

i like the idea, but one consideration might be that something like this containing a high concentrate of alcohol could possibly be abused by somebody wanting a high and inhaling fumes from it. but on the other hand why should we restrict ourselves because of idiots like that? i would like to know what an ethical take on this would be.

I'm pretty sure just about any hand sanitizer is alcohol based, but it's like isopropyl (as in rubbing alcohol), not ethanol. So no worries - not only will it taste vile, but it's also definitely toxic.

Really like the bug-squishing concept, too. Very whimsical...a lot of designers, myself included, tend to take themselves too seriously.

Guest whippy

Hi, my sketching's still pretty poor, but I've just finished a placement with a toy company and came out with some more sketches. It's still driving me up the wall, lots more criticism and tips would be appreciated! I tried to concentrate on things that were pointed out before, but a little unsuccessfully I feel!

I've also been playing with some coloured markers for a personal project, I can post them too if needed?

Cheers,

Whippy.

post-3726-1164648335.jpg

post-3726-1164648370.jpg

post-3726-1164648452.jpg

post-3726-1164648476.jpg

Guest whippy

ah, i see, took a while to work out what you meant! i've been told hundreds of times how to get elipses right, but can never quite pull it off! cheers.

Guest whippy

Hey it's been a while, thought I'd upload a few more things. My project title is 'childrens oral health care' I'm right at the beginning, but looking at a product (not necessarily a brush) to aid parents in cleaning their children, at the same time as encouraging children to want to brush their teeth. Any comments would be fantabulous.

Whip

post-3726-1195237048.jpg