Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest jm745

Sketches And Work

Guest jm745

I like Studio Tools...its a lot of fun and I think it is a lot more forgiving than Painter to sketch with. The only thing is that at this point its not as quick or as easy to me as just Photoshop. Definitely provides a much more dynamic and exciting feel in the brushes and airbrushes though.

Guest jm745

Here is a rendering of my taxi vehicle for a trans project...This is Photoshop over a sketch.

post-6360-1163552020.jpg

Very nice. Retains some of the feeling of the original sketch by not being too tight, but with enough detail to really communicate the design.

The wheels are not especially expressive of the design, and the reflection might be a bit overdone (just fade it out sooner), but I like it. How long did that take?

Guest jm745

This was about 30 min in PS. Yeah...Im thinking the rims will need to be different in the end, not sure yet. I think I might go with some two-shot rubber in the tires to add a little variation as well. Good call on the reflection, but something I've learned in my short trans experience..its all about drama!

Guest jm745

Im a t.a. for a rapid visualization class...nice to get back to the basics. Anyone who is new at sketching, this is a good place to start. Basic form and perspective. LINE ONLY..NO MARKER!

post-6360-1164954601.jpg

Guest r.schmidt

hey, great sketches. Enjoyed seeing your enthusiam with sketching in general. I think that's really the key to improving, you've just got to be motivated! Keep rockin'

You know how you use a lot of sketching flair in your drawings, how do you translate it into 3D? Is it always successful? I heard that in judging product design it is important to look beyond the rendering.

It looks amazing btw

Guest jm745

Good question Bowlofnoodle!....My experience has been that the flare is good only for catching attention and being the element that sort of draws people in. You have to have a nice sketch AND communicate a good strory after that to keep them interested. I think this is a challenge, but thats part of what makes ID fun for me. One thing is for sure, if you have a bad sketch and a bad rendering on top..it screams ugly. So I always try to make sure that my sketch is working before I put the "flare" on it. As far as how it translates in 3d...I believe that most of the excitement of the sketch can show up in the model as well..its just about how well you pay attention to details and composition.