Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

Bottle Challenge ! - How To Do This ?

Guest triax

Hello all,

I'm new to this site and so far its been an interesting read.

Today I've been batteling with Photoworks to get a realistic photo rendering of a clear bottle much like ragede's version on a white background with shadow.

ragede, I would very much appricate it if you would be kind enough to post a how to? get a realistic bottle rendering as I've spent all day and got no where fast! I've just resorted to downloading an Alais Imagestudio trial, however I would prefer to use photoworks as this is what I will soon have to use.

I even tried to render a color'd fluid in the bottle which presented even more problems.

Any help would be most appriciated.

Regards,

T.

Well Triax (and all other friends probably with the same question), here we are with some help...

post-4562-1153680664.jpg

So, for transparent objects you must have the proper walls. In that way light and its reflections and refractions behave as in the real thing...

Now, select the appropiated materials for the objects...

post-4562-1153681186.jpg

For the bottle just left all the defaults...

As per the lights...

post-4562-1153681795.jpg

Some other IMPORTANT settings...

post-4562-1153682301.jpg

And the final (?) settings in the Photoworks menu (Options->Doc...):

post-4562-1153682562.jpg

The Final results...

post-4562-1153682998.jpg

THIS IS ANOTHER EXAMPLE, BUT THIS TIME WITH GLASS...

post-4562-1153683335.jpg

Of course you can get probably the same or better results with other settings or techniques. (I am not an expert in Photoworks). But this was the method that I used.

Hope to be of help...

Ciao all

Guest triax

Hello ragde,

Thanks very much for the post.

I'm trying the rendering right now.

Looks as though this could be a late one.

Thanks once again for the help.

T.

Ps. Yeah I had been using the environments but with no success.

Fingers crossed.

Guest AxelRod

Here is something i threw together...

All done in solidworks. I would post the model, but i created it in 2007. Someone should be able to create in versions back to 2004. I will post how i created in a bit...

Standard...

bottle3.jpg

With Water...

bottle1.jpg

No water...

bottle2.jpg

Guest AxelRod

I used a surface fill to help create the center section. Once i had the surface, i offset the surface above and below, then used the offset surfaces to trim a section out of the bottle.

bottle4.jpg

Once trimmed, i then used the outside edge from the original fill surface, and created a loft. To help control the direction of tangency, i used a ruled surface normal to the edges of the previously trimmed surfaces.

bottle5.jpg

Impressive Axelrod!!!

Should be nice to have that model....!

Would be nice to see a little more details on the constuction of the Surface Fill (Very interesting indeed).

How did you "fill" the bottle with "water"?

Very good work !

Guest CADDICT

Bravo AxleRod

Ragde I think a 12 sided polygon sketch with inverted lines drawn perpendicular @ the intersection points of the sketch...A curve through reference points was then used to create a 3D sketch which was finally used to create the fill suface.

If Im wrong Im sure AxleRod will shed more light on this though...tried posting a model but failed can email it to you if you like though

Guest AxelRod

Caddict is correct, i used a 12 sided polygon with construction lines to create reference points for a curve. It also allows for easy modification, if i want more or less of a ripple, the feature is controled by 3 dimensions, ripple height, diameter, and thickness. I tried to figure an easy way to modify the number of ripples, but thats not as easy...:) If any one has 2007 yet, you can use the model i created, download it from here. Here are some more details...

Here you can see the offset of the previous surface fill. I did this twice, once up, the other down.

bottle6.jpg

I had to use a delete face to turn the SOLID model into a SURFACE model. This was required to create the trim that you will see in the next slide.

bottle7.jpg

Trim has two options, standard, and mutual. Standard meaning, surface to cut with, surface to be cut.

Mutual meaning, i have a bunch of surfaces to cut with. This also means that ALL of the surfaces selected can cut each other as well...

bottle8.jpg

This feature will be used to control the loft tangency in the next slide. The ruled surface is a VERY usefull tool. I would suggest playing with this feature to get a better understanding of what it can do. I used the normal to surface option.

bottle9.jpg

Here you can see the result of the ruled surface.

bottle10.jpg

Here you need to hide all but the ruled surfaces inorder to select the correct edge. Notice the options under start/end tangency.

bottle11.jpg

Last, cap off the hole at the top with a "planar surface" (not shown here) then use a surface knit to combine all the newly created surfaces together. DONT FORGET there is an option in the KNIT feature called "try to form solid" This option will only create a solid if you have a "water tight" boundry of surfaces. Add fillets and your done!!

bottle12.jpg

Hope this helps!! If any one has 2007 yet, i have posted the file to download.

http://www.qintegration.com/downloads/bottle/bottle2.sldprt

Very Nice indeed !!

Nice AxelRod.

So far three people presented 3 different method of doing the middle zone. That means that in SW there is not ONE WAY ONLY to do the job.

I am sure that maybe some other guy has another option to do that.. (let's see).

Please tell me about the "with water" rendering.. How you did that?

ciao

Guest triax

ragde,

Since you helped me with photo works I been experimenting with the settings. To render a liquid inside my bottle, I simply offset a surface and created a solid body within the initial shelled body, deleted the otter body and then inserted that into the assembly and gave it the appropriate material properties (fluid to start with) and got some good outcomes. If get them finely tuned I'll through a few into the arena.

T.

Guest triax

Hello,

Here's a problem that I'm hoping some one may have came across and found a answer to, or perhaps I've over looked some straight forward issue.

Attached is an example of the result when I'm trying to use an overlay image to mask another image. I keep getting 'seepage' on the edges of the lettering. I can't figure out why and will have to start again soon as I have lost track of what I have tried and not tried. I don't think this is an issue of different sized images or gaps left between the relative images etc. but if you do please say!

EDIT: The object material is clear poly and lettering is assigned plastic under illumination.

Any ideas?

Greatly appreciated!

T.

post-6333-1154389170.jpg