Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
ragde

Bottle Challenge ! - How To Do This ?

Friends:

Today, at the supermarket I saw a water bottle very insteresting in its geometry. And I wonder if SolidWorks can handle this kind of designs.

If you are interested, we all together can come out with a finished project for this bottle. Every one that have an idea and want to share, is wellcomed...

post-4562-1152485347.jpg

This is an image of a drawing that I made with some basic dimensions, the other you can freely asume.

post-4562-1152485607.jpg

I will be working on some ideas, but I will be waiting for your help with ideas, models, etc.

ciao

See you all.

I used Rhino to model the bottle. It should be pretty much the same in SolidWorks. I got this far after 90 mins, don't want to spend the whole day =/. I think this is actually a good monthly activity, it was quite fun solving a few problems. The technical drawing made it fun and easy aswell.

post-282-1152581222.gif

post-282-1152581246.gif

Guest Perfectude

Hi,

Just joined here.. think this bottle is fun here is a start...

post-6194-1152617703.gif

Very Nice!! guys

The models look very good indeed.

Keep going... I dont have Rhino, but I will do my best with SolidWorks..

Ciao

I used the Deform Feature to accomplish this.

But it is tricky to work with that because if you use a revolve body to deform over the main body, when you subtract the bodies you securely would have a problem when you try to fillet the borders.

Instead I designed a special extrude feature in order to have a groove more fillet "friendly"...

I will put some image trying to explain what I mean...

For now... ciao

The twist does not really look like it has constant radius.

I think you have to do a sweep of circles with varying radius. And then you trim it and blend. Though I have problem in creating circles that is perpendicular to the rail.

Do people do the Pipe-Split-Blend trick in solidworks?

Guest cplicious

Projected the sketch as a curve in 3 sections. Swept the middle part of the cut out and lofted the points to get a nice smooth exit.

post-5670-1152785612.jpg

Cplicious:

Nice!!

I liked very much.... I am going to try that myself...

bowlofnoodle:

Yes, the radius appears not to be the same, but it is a constant radius of 0.8mm. It "looks" different because of the way the spiral goes around the main body curve. We can use variable radius too.

Wich is the Pipe-Split-Blend trick???

ciao

Let's say the fillet did not work for the surface in the first picture. To manually do the fillet you got to do a combination of pipe, split and blend, or something similar. You'll find out why the fillet doesn't work.

post-282-1152925060.jpg