Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest sixto62

Knee Mounted Power Generator.

Guest sixto62

Hello designers. It is a mechanical generator that generates electricity as you walk or run. Has an internal power supply that keeps electricity when activity on the knees lapses. Could power any small devices like mp3 players and cellphones. Targeted on sport runners and outdoorsmen. Like to know what you guys think.

board19vr.jpg

board20yr.jpg

board39lf.jpg

This is fairly an old thread but something caught my attention recently, there has been a new similar development of a power generating device using the knees to generate electrical power.

here is the link: http://green.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080208/ap...er_walking.html

I just realized how potentially useful and feasible my "originaly conceived" device is in line with this parallel development.

Guest newt @ MWE

Neet idea!

My only question is how much does it wiegh? I have done a few studies on jogging and wiegh distribution and the damage it can cause. It may not seem plausible but a wiegh difference of as little as 1 lb from left to right can cause serious leg and back problems. With that said, you want to add a small wieght to the other knee brace to balance it off.

The style is nice and has some good sporty elements to it. I am not sure about the exposed fasteners, there

is not much in the sport realm that exposes fasteners. However it does suggest the technology aspect, so I may be talking in circles. Anyways It is a nice design.

Other than that I love the idea and the concept seems very producable. Kudos on the clean energy promotion.

Keep up the good work.

Guest key

Yea great idea, have you tried to make a model and see how well it might work on yourself? Im not sure how much tolerance that device might have when you knees are not walking straight, if the twists are only allowed by the strap then its going to feel very odd and afterawhile not very confortable. A another great application for this would be military, as more solders are carrring electronic equipment, something like this will come in handy when they theirs no supply. Get some DOD funding, lol.

I also agree with the bolts/fasteners, it is odd thing to have on your body. Almost cyborg like device, which some people might like but others probably not.

Did not know about the 1 pd difference, thanks for the info newt.

Guest sixto62

Thanks for the informative coments.

Actually, this device would not weight as much as 1 lb. because the casing is mostly plastic. The only thing that would overall contribute to the weigh is the magnet which isn't that heavy. So I think balance would't be much of an issue here. Thanks anyway for the info on jogging. Due to the way this thing is built, for it to be as compact as possible, the allen bolts are used. but hiding it would result in more parts to cover it which would only fatten this thing up.

Again, thanks for the comments. Keep them coming.

Guest kaiza

have you researched the power storage options? i have a kinetic watch that uses capacitors for stored charge, but the charge is VERY small compared to what an mp3 player would use. once you get into niMh and Lion batteries you need electronics for charging correctly, which adds weigh and complexity.

there is already a very interesting backpack in developement for the american army: http://www.scienceblog.com/cms/node/8874

but i think this is a very promising design, especially in a retail.commercial application

Guest sixto62

Yes. It is indeed aimed at the outdoor enthusiast, because they could generate power needed well outside civilization. This will also favor this guys because thay are usually environmentalists. This thing could even save a life by powering cellphones, radios, GPS device, or flashlights when lost in the wilderness.

Guest Stoven

I like the idea but I feel it would make jogging more difficult since you now have to use energy to bend your leg and crank the generator. There is plenty of wasted energy in jogging. You could use a magnet and coil idea similar to the "Shake flashlights" and use the up-and-down motion of jogging to generate electricity.

I always had an idea of inventing some kind of compression generator in the soles of your shoes so you generate electricity with every step.

I heard that some professors at my university were working on developing micro heat pump generators to be embedded in clothing which converts body heat to electricity. The hopes is to have soldier's body heat power all their electrical gear.

Steve

Guest sixto62

Thanks for the comments and insights.

Stoven, your definitely into something there with the "shaking flashlight" thing, I think it might be more efficient way to convert power from the motion of the legs. I also thought of doing a generator embedded in the shoes but is somehow hard to think of. But I ve heared the electric muscle thing that bends when electricity passes through and vise versa, it generates electricity when bent. It is another efficient way to gather power from bending the knees or perhaps the feet if it is embedded in the shoe.

Guest sixto62

Hello,

This is an old thread but something caught my attention recently, there has been a new similar development of a power generating device using the knees to generate electrical power.

here is the link: http://green.yahoo.com/news/ap/20080208/ap...er_walking.html

I just realized how potentially useful and feasible my "originaly conceived" device is in line with this parallel development.

Guest P3NGU1N

Hmm. I like the ideas, especially for military applications. If my technology news isn't too out of date the US military currently backpacks with the up and down motion power generators inside to power all their gear from infra-red scanners to communication equipment. The backpack with all the gear add up to a whopping 80lbs+ so something with a compact size that can generate a similar amount of electricity on the same type of current would be good.

Guest acinonyx

http://recent-technology-news.com/data/art...8.07.26.13.html

http://www.bionic-power.com/

sciknee107a.jpg

I dont postively think the military people will like the idea of anaother gadget "on board" in a combat situation. Mosty if it is really necessary then they would develop it on a smaller scale and it is obvious it wiil not eliminate the need for batteries, where you do need continuous energy and storage. However in terms of bionic power for bionic implants in an emergency scenario it seems useful...on a healthy human I guess preventing the skin rash due to the placement would be more important whether or not a person will prefer to wear it. Personally when I am exercising I would not want anything more than necessary fixed on me..