Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest uncy_chris

Flu Powder Dispenser Project

Guest uncy_chris

I'm a first year product design student, whose just been set my first assignment to design and make a working card prototype of a dispenser for flu powder which holds 100g of powder and dispenses 25g per use. It must be an integral unit. A logbook and 3 concept boards need to be produced.

I'm struggling for ideas at the moment, firstly in terms of where to look for research, and secondly in presenting multiple options in my initial ideas section of the logbook.

This is only a small project (3 weeks design time and worth 10% of the unit) but I would like to get off to a good start. If anyone has any suggestions in terms of research material or recommended ideas they would be much appreciated. :P

Guest Bizzo

wow pretty steep for a first year project... but none the less..

i recall a candy dispenser at the local grocery store that would dispense a set amount of candy with each pull, you may want to see if any place has something similar to that in your area. there are also some liquor bottle attachments that only allow one shot at a time to be poured. maybe these things can give you some inspiration on how the user interacts with the device to get the desired amount from it.

good luck

bizzo

Guest littlecog

I have suffered for many years from asthma so I am always carrying an inhaler. I hate the way it looks. Cheap, plastic and milk white. It is also very inconveniant to carry. I think there are enormous opportunities to improve the look of pharmacutical delivery systems that inspire confidence in the user but are in themselves aesthetically pleasing objects. I would take inspiration from things like Swiss Army knifes and cigar cases. Objects that are small and functional but imbued with a certain quality and style.

Guest uncy_chris

Thanks for the advice guys. I've taken inspiration from looking at products further afield such as pez dispenser, baby milk powder containers, sweet boxes etc

Research is pretty much done and dusted, just gotta get 15-20 ideas down on paper.

Guest robulation

Hiya,

Hmmmm, some ideas are rattling through my head. Things you could consider for preliminary ideas are the use of other senses in your design and not just the visual side of things and touch. Sounds are important to products...(like a zippo lighter,you dont even have to see it to know when someone has flipped one open, and this could be something that makes using it satisfying)

just an idea tho.

rob