Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest yeddeync

Line Practice

Guest yeddeync

How fast should i throw my lines when i practice the hitting two dots on paper? (Gnomon DVD) Should i vary the thickness of the lines while trying to hit both dots? Should i always practice one horizontal straight line, or different directions? Are there any other methods of practice? How about ellipses and circles? Just trying to find out if I can practice more efficiently. Thanks,

Ed

How fast should i throw my lines when i practice the hitting two dots on paper?

don't forget about ghosting lines. just use enough speed to throw straight lines that hit the 2 dots. too fast means less accuracy.

Should i vary the thickness of the lines while trying to hit both dots?

why not? just throw some more lines on the same place to exercise your accuracy. varying in thickness could improve the readability of your sketches

Should i always practice one horizontal straight line, or different directions?

well, if you really suck in different directions, then concentrate on the horizontal lines, cause you can make a good illustration with only horizontal lines by rotating the paper.

Other exercises: perspectives and ellipses, look at tutorials from http://www.drawthrough.com .

So these basic things shouldn't be missed for a good sketching foundation.

-I'd practice all of your line directions. I definitely have angles that I have no control over. Ends up flattening my ellipses etc... So whenever I come across one of those, I'll pull over and do 3 sheets full of them. It does get better. I make myself go through a whole pack of paper (500 sheets) every month just doing line work. Also, at some places you'll have to draw on a big sheet of paper with the other designers or on the wall. You won't be able to move the paper then, so best to be prepared and able to draw in all directions.

-One thing I do to test/train my accuracy is to draw the same shape in place 10 times. Try it, it's a lot harder than I thought it would be. Do a really fast ellipse (fast like how you sign your name). Then do 10 more over the original just as fast, all 10 nonstop. Then measure the discrepency and try to make it smaller each week. For a 3in tall quick ellipse, all of my lines fall within 3/16". I'll feel good when I can get them down to 1/16" tolerance.

Has anybody else tried this one? I came up with it myself after noticing my extreme difficulty going over lines with a different weight pen or marker and just tracing in general. I don't know if it's in the gnomon dvd's or not.

Guest littlecog

Skinny,

One of my teachers at Art center College of design in Pasadena used to make us do similar sketch drills. Very good training but boring as hell. I have been trying it recently with the Wacom tablet which is even harder!

Guest Random Designer

At least with a pentab, it's less expensive in terms of paper. *Waits impatiently for salary to come through*.