- - - - -

How Essential Is Illustrator (advice Please) ?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Bob_*

Guest_Bob_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:17 PM

I know this seems like a strange question as all the jobs I would consider dream positions require it. But I've just finished an Engineering degree so my Swks and Rhino are ok. I've done alot of work in Photoshop and sketchbook pro. So I want to know the actual advantages of illustrator and how hard it would be to learn the interface with experience of PS. I already have all the above software plus coreldraw.
So do I..

A) Not worry too much about Illustrator and use SBpro & Corel and save up for studio tools?

;) Or bite the bullet and get hold of Illustrator?

#2 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 20 June 2006 - 03:34 PM

If you know how to use Photoshop and other Adobe apps like Indesign, transitioning to Illustrator will be effortless. Illustrator is for doing vector art which is very useful when you want to be printing things like technical drawings, or other graphics.

If you're a student you can get the educational version fairly cheap. It's a useful tool to know and won't take very long to learn at all.

#3 Guest_kaiza_*

Guest_kaiza_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:24 PM

I know that other companies have similar applications but i havent had any experience with them.

Illustrator definitely has its own niche for me, and i prefer using it where possible over photoshop due to the nature of vector graphics (being able to go back and change them easily)

if youre wondering about the interface, if youre familiar with photoshop and have used the pen tool youll be fine.

understanding where vector artwork fits in is difficult at first, but it has a huge range of applications - i import my solidoworks drawings (it integrates well with photoshop and indesign), create logos for presentation and for decals to use in photoworks as well as creating things like nets for simple paper models.

its also awesome for tracing things - its quite trendy in advertising and it is a lot easier than trying to remove the background behind a person or product in a photo.

#4 Guest_Jacky_Ryu_*

Guest_Jacky_Ryu_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

Another point (vector related) is that you can scale down or up vector graphics in Illustrator without losing quality (unlike photoshop). You can also do things like export paths/lines to Photoshop which can be very handy.

Definately worth familiarising yourself with it. It won't be too hard to pick up as mentioned by Cyber Demon.

InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator all have similarities and differences. But each is unique for different purposes.

Example

InDesign - Layout
Illustrator - Logos, line art
Photoshop - Images for web, magazines, modifications to rasterised images.

Of course, there are more uses to them than the ones that I have stated.

#5 Guest_Dmjones_*

Guest_Dmjones_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 June 2006 - 09:20 PM

I dont use illustrator much at all, I use freehand MX and I rate it. Unfortunately it doesnt (or I dont know a way) allow drag and drop of paths that photoshop will recognise as illustrator does. All these vector programs are pretty mature now meaning they're pretty similar in quality, but all have some slightly differnt features which guides user preference.

#6 Guest_key_*

Guest_key_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2006 - 06:45 AM

get the demo, its easier to use then photoshop. Its handy at times, tracing drawings much better to do in illustrator. and with cs2 you can paste vector into photoshop and resize it without loosing quality as a smart object. There are some people who are demons with illustrator renderings.

#7 skinny

skinny

Top Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:01 PM

Like this guy for instance:
http://www.techvector.com/
click on the link that says "vector", then the one that says "realistic" on the right hand side. Pure insanity!

#8 Cyberdemon

Cyberdemon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • At:Motorola Solutions

Posted 06 July 2006 - 12:47 AM

Those are pretty impressive. I'd be interested to see them at a much larger size to see how they hold up. Labor intensive but very nice results. I also wonder if that guy is self taught or has a degree in illustration.

#9 Guest_mola667_*

Guest_mola667_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 01:52 PM

I never been in contact with illustrator cause in Spain all the offices use Freehand, but when i moved to Italy to join an Internship in a ID office at Rome, they use Illustrator, in most of Italy they use it and never use freehand...i dont know the reasons actually. Well the point is i leanrt quite faster, cause all these programs are based in the same basics, vector and degradates and bla bla is not so dificult. In this office the teach me how to improve a fake 3d just with illustrator, cause was the way they work, more faster and easy to render an object before the final stage than modelling 3d.

#10 Guest_Gappie_*

Guest_Gappie_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2007 - 10:47 PM

At the moment I'm using different programs often achieving the same. Just recently I've used macromedia fireworks which is, in my opinion, a good tool for creating interface images out of vector. Has some handy tools but also a lot of similarities with illustrator. Therefore combining it a lot. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors:
Android Tablet
Designer Store