Product Design Forums

Treasurebox
Sign in to follow this  
Guest dc_dizzle

Face2face Chair And Seating System

Guest dc_dizzle

Hi this will be the first time ive ever posted my work...My name is Christian Tan and i am currently in my 2nd year at uni doin Bach. of Design in Industrial Design with my minor in Furniture Design. The piece of furniture that I wanted to post up was the last assignment that i did for my Furniture 1 class. My knowledge wen it comes to processes etc is still minimal so i hope to potentially learn from other experienced users if they are open to contribute their advice. Heres a little bit about my furniture design and i would really like some feedback as it would help me broaden my approach and attitude to design...thank you for stopping by and having a look...

Chris

"F2F Chair and Seating System"

The F2F (Face 2 Face) Chair and Seating System allow for a new way for public waiting rooms or 'areas' to have allocated seats. Instead of the usual bench or set of locked chairs facing one direction, this chair system allows for linear opposite facing chairs linked together so effectively...you are sitting face to face with the person next to you. Making conversation easier or increasing the possibility of conversation. The side table allows for a line of chairs to turn corners (as can be seen in the U-config photo) and since the locking mechanism (4 pins located at the bottom of the seat) is completely symmetrical, chairs can also be linked the traditional way having all units facing the one direction. This might be called for in the event someone wants a row of chairs up against a wall. I also see this system being used in a more 'interesting feature-type' way in something like an art gallery, where u could have a line of chairs weaving in and out of sculptures and installations...provided they have the floor space. I think that there is a chance for different table joint sizes will make for more interesting curves - At the moment the standard table creats a 90degree bend - there is always a chance for a 45degree etc.

The predominant material used is sheet aluminium between 6-10mm thick that is 'rolled-bent' into shape, with an anodised finish allowing for units to come in different colours.

Note: Regarding the flex in the frame, the more units linked together the more the flex is concentrated at the rounded back joint...and since the flexing of two ppl sitting next to each other counteract each other the chairs are stable...in theory lol

post-3507-1150687807.jpgpost-3507-1150687888.jpg

post-3507-1150687956.jpg

UMMM please ignore the boat...even tho its a really really god renderring...i dunno why its there...i didnt even upload it...it just...appeared...wat the?!?! Whose boat is that!?

post-2304-1148227905.jpg

Interesting idea and I like the arrangements but it's a bit too sharp and plain-square-ish for me.

About the strange image; it's probably the attachment ID is clashing with the older ones. Bare with us, we'll try fix this as soon as possible.

Cheers,

noodle

I wonder how it would actually function in real life though. For one, if you're sitting next to a complete stranger, do you want them to be in your face? Typical waiting room behavior is like finding the right urinal to use, you usually want enough of a buffer between you and the other people.

Also, what about a person who is obese. Would they be able to sit in these chairs without the backs of the surrounding chairs jamming in their thighs?

With regards to manufacturing, right now what you have would not be able to be bent in that shape if it was 1/4"+ thick aluminum. You have what appear to be very sharp radiuses at each of the corners. Also, how would the center section that joins them be attached? It seems like you would have to weld those in place and then proceed to bend the rest of the chair.

Right now it seems like it would want to be an extruded part, since its all a constant profile.

Guest superbad

I've seen something very similar to this concept (chairs arrnaged in alternating directions), but I can't remember where at the moment. Another engineering consideration: that joint between the base and the back needs some reinforcement. It would fail very quickly, if not the first time someone sat on it. I like the idea of extruding the whole thing, which is something else I just saw in a chair recently. You could gusset that base very easily then. Might require two extrusions joined somehow, because that would be a huge die (48" circle?) if done as one piece. Not many places would be able to handle that, and it would be really expensive.

Not to mention aluminum is incredibly expensive as is. If it were able to be made from something like reinforced plastic, or bent steel it would potentially be more reasonable.

Now taking into consideration all the engineering and manufacturing concerns can sometimes kill a project, but you do want to have a reasonable idea, especially since this project is much more down to earth and less extreme then some other projects. Obviously you wouldn't worry about the mass production abilities of a chair made entirely from hand welded coins.

Guest dc_dizzle

Hi everyone...thanks for your feedback...umm just to answer a few questions and clarify things...the brief intended the exploration of furniture designs to aid or encourage communication...and yes althought some ppl would like the opportunity to sit on their own without being interrupted the direction the furniture design was supposed to head was one where it would be easy for conversation to take place. For obese ppl i did not actually consider that ...thank you for pointing that out...regarding the joint systems secured to the underside of the chair...they are actually screwed in...the screws are hidden by the upholstery. In regards to manufacturing...i approached one of the industrial tech tutors regarding material thickness etc...he said that extruding it would be difficult due to its size...he said it would have to be an expensive custom job and be sent to somewhere like japan or germany...his suggestion for material thickness was 5mm...a chair made by a student in 4th yr furniture had his mechanically bent out of 5.5mm thick aluminium. There was talk of reinforced plastic but i cant remember what the tutor said that made me go the other way and stick with sheet metal/aluminium.

Mine couldnt be mechanically bent 'easily' because of its shape...however...his suggestion was having it 'rolled bent'...i wasnt sure wat this was but he outlined it to be along the lines of mechanically bending using a series of rollers...which means there would be section sheets pre cut and pre drilled to house the two upholstered panels for the back and the seat and then be sent through the rollers...but yeah....upon discussing it with him i cud already tell that my design was a manufacturing nightmare lol...oh and regarding the 'circle-edge' in my design (i dont have a proper name for it...when i sketch shapes i just sketch shapes lol) if i can remember correctly my teacher said that work hardening in the area would be enough for it to flex roughly past 100degress but not any further than that.....hmm i didnt add the dimensions so il upload it wen i actually find my hard copy lol...so u can get a feel for its actual size...however i can tell u that i derived my dimensions from ergonomic literature as well as consulting an ergonomist who taught us last semester...

Thanks again everyone for your input...you've pointed out some very interesting things...i havent got my mark back for this assignment so fingers crossed i do good :-)

I found my original orthographics/GA for my chair...i know they are not australian standard but its enough for u to understand the dimensions...i hope...

Orthographics_Board_1.pdf

I just love your CCNP forum.Thanks for posting it. it have something that someone comeback again….there is a lot of useful information a person can Health article get from here… arabic girls I must say,well done.A good forum with great discussion and a good users,which contribute in the forum

a great free matrimonial article contain many information like the person like me...thanks for publish this one....Nice article, i appreciate for classifieds putting this together! “This is software solutions obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have Free legal Services so provided here. Keep it up!”

I just love your Computer Jobs forum.Thanks for posting it. it have something that someone comeback again….there is a lot of useful information a person can get discussion science article and a good users,which contribute in the forum MCITP from here…I must say,well done.A good forum with great